Will the Sox Eat Salary to Bring More Talent

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 08:21 AM)
Adam Dunn is certainly not one of my favorite players, but it's pretty scary to contemplate about what that Tiger's starting rotation will do to the Sox, without Dunn's left handed presence. All of those dominate RH pitchers will mow down our pathetic lineup with ease. And, we have the entire season's head to head competition vs Detroit still ahead of us. Ouch!

This is what I call "The Road To Rodon". Or "Torpedo for Tyler Beede".

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
This is what I call "The Road To Rodon". Or "Torpedo for Tyler Beede".

Tied with the Brew Crew for 3rd pick, technically ahead of them percentage-wise (or behind, depending on how you want to look at being bad as a good thing).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
Tied with the Brew Crew for 3rd pick, technically ahead of them percentage-wise (or behind, depending on how you want to look at being bad as a good thing).

Yeah I know. It will be tough but I think Milwaukee actually overtakes the Cubs and the Marlins will be a lot better in the 2nd half. Looks like Astros, Marlins, White Sox, Cubs, Brewers, and Mets in some order.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)

I just looked at the draft results on B-R. Overall #1 is huge in some years, but the difference between picks 2 through 6 is very little.

1- 42-49/ 21.1 WAR

2- 41-49 made the majors. Average career WAR 14.2

3- 39 made/12.6 average WAR

4- 38/14.4

5- 29/12.1

6- 35/14.1

So I guess it's a good thing to have as many options as possible, but it's such a crap shoot no matter what.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 12:12 PM)
I just looked at the draft results on B-R. Overall #1 is huge in some years, but the difference between picks 2 through 6 is very little.

1- 42-49/ 21.1 WAR

2- 41-49 made the majors. Average career WAR 14.2

3- 39 made/12.6 average WAR

4- 38/14.4

5- 29/12.1

6- 35/14.1

So I guess it's a good thing to have as many options as possible, but it's such a crap shoot no matter what.

I agree that it's a crapshoot but those numbers are skewed. Most of the time, in the past the best player did not always go #1. There were many occasions when a small market team would pass on the consensus #1 guy to take someone cheaper. I think you always want the highest pick possible if you are a bad team because it gives you a chance to take the better player.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
With or without Dunn, I'd be surprised if the Sox do better than 4-15 vs the Tigers.

True. Even if the Tiger hitters and defenders fall asleep playing our horrible team, the pitchers should relish the opportunity to pad their strikeout totals, etc. I'd say 4-15 is about right. Somehow you'd think a major league team would luck into four wins in a 19-game series.

Always be willing to eat salary if it gets you better talent in return. You aren't adding to your payroll at all in 2013 and probably not very much in 2014 so there's not much point in saving money for those two years. Now if somebody is interested in Danks or Ramirez then I'm a little more hesitant to eat any of their money in 2015-16.

Being willing to eat salary also brings more teams into the bidding.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)
Always be willing to eat salary if it gets you better talent in return. You aren't adding to your payroll at all in 2013 and probably not very much in 2014 so there's not much point in saving money for those two years. Now if somebody is interested in Danks or Ramirez then I'm a little more hesitant to eat any of their money in 2015-16.

Agreed. Good post.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)

It depends on the talent. It makes no sense to eat $5-10 million for a guy who is not a surefire starter. It is still a business and every penny you don't spend now can be spent later. Maybe a guy like Castro will eventually work out, but acquiring 10-15 similar guys for all the Sox veterans would set this franchise back many years.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
How many times in the last 10 years have the Sox included money in a deal? I can remember only once and it was the exact amount they were receiving from a team from another deal.

IIRC they ate some money when Thome was sent to the Dodgers and Iguchi was sent to the Phillies.