Red Sox interested in Thornton

Cerbaho-WG

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 12:18 AM)
And, as much as some want to bash Thornton, he's a lefty who throws 95mph. Teams value that plus his experience.

We'll see if teams value that. If Thornton throws that hard, it's straight as an arrow because nobody has trouble hitting him. He also walks people. In my opinion, he's the definition of a very bad relief pitcher. Like fathom or somebody said the other day, he should be a guy who comes in to face one lefty and get him the hell out of there. Situational lefty vs. lefty.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 09:58 PM)
We'll see if teams value that. If Thornton throws that hard, it's straight as an arrow because nobody has trouble hitting him. He also walks people. In my opinion, he's the definition of a very bad relief pitcher. Like fathom or somebody said the other day, he should be a guy who comes in to face one lefty and get him the hell out of there. Situational lefty vs. lefty.

He's hardly a very bad relief pitcher. He's not the same pitcher he was, but he still has a decent fastball that when used properly with his slider can be effective. I don't think the Sox will get much for him, but there will be teams in need for a guy like him.

While I do hate Thornton with all my heart (2011 to 2013 version), I must admit he does have some value because he can still get lefties out at an extremely effective rate. Contenders will have use for a player like that, especially come playoff time when every late inning matchup is important. I doubt you get anything crazy for him, but a high-end lottery ticket or two doesn't seem out of the question.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
no way, he's paid almost like a closer, it would be a huge overpay just on salary alone, not to mention surrendering anything of value prospect-wise.

$6 million is not the price of a free agent closer. $6 million is the price of a very good set up man.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 07:49 AM)
$6 million is not the price of a free agent closer. $6 million is the price of a very good set up man.

Maybe going forward now with all the media contracts changing and the $25 million surplus money, but how many 8th inning guys are making $6 or 6.5 million this season?

When Matt Thornton signed that deal, it was with the idea he would definitely be given first shot at being the Sox closer the following season...and maybe even for the length of the contract.

Crain certainly isn't.

Edited by caulfield12

If not get anything of significance for Thornton, how would you guys feel about getting international pool money for next year? Could very well be a possibility.

That money could be flipped to the Cubs if nothing else. They seem to be sucking up all the int'l money they can get.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 08:52 AM)
If not get anything of significance for Thornton, how would you guys feel about getting international pool money for next year? Could very well be a possibility.

I believe you can only acquire pool money for the current season as the "slots" aren't established until around February. You can not trade money, you have to trade slots.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
I believe you can only acquire pool money for the current season as the "slots" aren't established until around February. You can not trade money, you have to trade slots.

Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Thornton is obviously not going top bring a "high end prospect." I understand that Hahn wants to start high in his negotiations, but I hope he doesn't end up dicking around too long and losing the opportunity to sell among several bidders.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
Thornton is obviously not going top bring a "high end prospect." I understand that Hahn wants to start high in his negotiations, but I hope he doesn't end up dicking around too long and losing the opportunity to sell among several bidders.

I think that's GM speak. They've already set their sights on realistic returns for these players.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
I think that's GM speak. They've already set their sights on realistic returns for these players.

Right, "steep" just refers to a comparison of asking price compared to expected price

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/boston-...deadline-071213

I bet Thornton and Lindstrom both go quickly after the break.

I asked Pete Abraham on twitter what he thought about a potential Matt Thornton trade return. He mentioned LHP Drake Britton and 3B Michael Almanzar. That level of prospect. Britton is rated as the 12th best prospect in the system according to BA.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/boston-...deadline-071213

I bet Thornton and Lindstrom both go quickly after the break.

I could definitely see the Red Sox over pay for someone like Thornton and Crain. I forgot where I heard it, but I heard that the Red Sox absolutely would love to add Crain.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 05:32 PM)
I asked Pete Abraham on twitter what he thought about a potential Matt Thornton trade return. He mentioned LHP Drake Britton and 3B Michael Almanzar. That level of prospect. Britton is rated as the 12th best prospect in the system according to BA.

Just looking at both those players right now, I would take that in a heart beat for Matt Thornton.