Game Thread 7/8: CUB @ SOX

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 10:20 PM)
It's happened at least 2 other times in previous games. Not sure what the issue is.

All scouting reports on him mention this; an apparent problem with catching pitches. Not blocking - he does that fine. Just catching regular pitches. It dumbfounds me

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 03:22 AM)
All scouting reports on him mention this; an apparent problem with catching pitches. Not blocking - he does that fine. Just catching regular pitches. It dumbfounds me

That could be a problem.

Would I be out of line to say, "It's Ova?" We do not win games like this.

Folks, Matt Thornton will not get the Sox much at all on the trade market. The guy is a very very poor pitcher. How can anybody dispute this?

I am no pitching expert, but his fastball must be straight as an arrow. He throws a ton of balls, then lays the fastball in there and it almost always gets crushed. Who they hell is going to give up anything for Matt Thornton?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 04:27 AM)
Thornton gets far more hate than he deserves. He's a nice relief pitcher. He used to be elite. Sometimes he'll give up runs just like everybody else.

13 losses and counting over the last two years. He gets paid a lot of money to be as unreliable he is in close games. He's basically a highly paid LOOGY now.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
Would I be out of line to say, "It's Ova?" We do not win games like this.

Folks, Matt Thornton will not get the Sox much at all on the trade market. The guy is a very very poor pitcher. How can anybody dispute this?

I am no pitching expert, but his fastball must be straight as an arrow. He throws a ton of balls, then lays the fastball in there and it almost always gets crushed. Who they hell is going to give up anything for Matt Thornton?

with stats

It's probably a lot easier to remember Thornton blowing close games than other guys because he is put into more close games than anyone.

But he definitely has regressed in those situations from when he was scary dominant.

Edited by Knackattack

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 04:31 AM)
It's probably a lot easier to remember Thornton blowing close games than other guys because he is put into more close games than anyone.

or because they have a tendency to lose a lot of the games he gives up runs in