Game Thread 7/8: CUB @ SOX

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 10:36 PM)
it's scary to think how bad this team would be if Crain wasn't pitching out of his mind this season.

if we swapped him for a replacement level pitcher, we'd be 2 wins worse

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 03:32 AM)
Well, gonna get swept in a 4 game series by the Cubs. Something for Ventura to put on his resume when he's looking for a job after this season.

Robin might be around a long, long time. The Sox wanted a quiet, professional stoic figure and got one.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 03:37 AM)
Robin might be around a long, long time. The Sox wanted a quiet, professional stoic figure and got one.

Seriously, we get that you want Ozzie back. If you think Ozzie could have won with this team, then he's a far better manager than even you ever gave him credit for.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 03:37 AM)
Think we're going to get a good return on him?

I think we're going to get a ton of Class A prospects for a lot of our players, plus cash, and I'll leave it up to our minor league forecasters to tell us whether these guys are any good or not.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)
I think we're going to get a ton of Class A prospects for a lot of our players, plus cash, and I'll leave it up to our minor league forecasters to tell us whether these guys are any good or not.

I can tell you the answer as to whether the minor leaguers are good or not now: "maybe"

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 08:39 PM)

Not to be a dick but everything I've seen you post about the return on anybody is that we're not going to get anything good, so I'm gonna ignore that input.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 03:39 AM)
LOL. Worst team in baseball except maybe for the Marlins. And I know nothing about their young players. Would u take the Marlins roster over the White Sox roster right now?

I woudn't take the big league team, but good luck in finding anyone that thinks the Sox organization is in better shape than the Marlins (owners/payroll being equal). The Astros and Marlins suck, but at least they have very good farm systems. The Sox have one of the worst in the game, as you know. The two organizations that are in huge trouble going forward are the Sox and Brewers, in my opinion. Bad big league clubs with mediocre farm systems in divisions that are trending upwards.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 03:40 AM)
Not to be a dick but everything I've seen you post about the return on anybody is that we're not going to get anything good, so I'm gonna ignore that input.

I think we'll get bodies. We're going to find out if they are any good. I just don't see teams giving up much for a rental in Crain. Isn't he a free agent after this year? And Matt Thornton? Cmon. That ship has sailed. That leaves guys like Peavy, Dunn and Rios. I happen to think we'll not be able to move Rios or Dunn and with Peavy's injury history? What general manager can give up studs for Jake Peavy at this point? I'd say our best bet to get a decent player is for Peavy, but a GM has to be careful with his history.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 04:43 AM)
I think we'll get bodies. We're going to find out if they are any good. I just don't see teams giving up much for a rental in Crain. Isn't he a free agent after this year? And Matt Thornton? Cmon. That ship has sailed. That leaves guys like Peavy, Dunn and Rios. I happen to think we'll not be able to move Rios or Dunn and with Peavy's injury history? What general manager can give up studs for Jake Peavy at this point? I'd say our best bet to get a decent player is for Peavy, but a GM has to be careful with his history.

There's no doubt the injuries to Peavy and Crain were devastating, but we just have to hope they return soon after the ASB.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 03:41 AM)
I woudn't take the big league team, but good luck in finding anyone that thinks the Sox organization is in better shape than the Marlins (owners/payroll being equal). The Astros and Marlins suck, but at least they have very good farm systems. The Sox have one of the worst in the game, as you know. The two organizations that are in huge trouble going forward are the Sox and Brewers, in my opinion. Bad big league clubs with mediocre farm systems in divisions that are trending upwards.

So how many years of this kind of baseball are we talking about? 2? 5? 10?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 04:44 AM)
So how many years of this kind of baseball are we talking about? 2? 5? 10?

2-3, the one thing to keep in mind is the Sox will have a much higher payroll than rebuilding teams like the Pirates and Marlins had in the past. Sox are going to have to find a way to start developing some stars on offense, as it's been far too long since they developed anyone from their system that can hit.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 08:43 PM)

Rios & Peavy are both above average players with decent contracts & are not rentals. 2 & 1/2 years of Peavy and 1&1/2 of Rios will get some teams to give up good players.

Remember when Lexi got that double in a tie game? Stranded him. Sox never put pressure on the opponent in close games. How bout getting a hit and taking the lead once in a while?? You continually fail in a tie game and finally, boom, the other team, even one as bad as the Cubs takes charge.

Part of the zombie like mentality of this team has to fall on Robin. Hopefully Robin recognizes he may not be cut out for this and resigns after the season.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 10:32 PM)
I like to think about how Twins fans all think Jesse Crain is horrible. If you're a non-closing reliever, it appears to be impossible to be remembered fondly

You can spin this however you want, but the numbers in 2011 & 2012 don't lie. He has been terrible in high leverage situations over the past few years. I will always appreciate how dominant he once was, but he is no longer that pitcher. The current version s***s the bed more often than not when the pressure is on.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 10:51 PM)
Remember when Lexi got that double in a tie game? Stranded him. Sox never put pressure on the opponent in close games. How bout getting a hit and taking the lead once in a while?? You continually fail in a tie game and finally, boom, the other team, even one as bad as the Cubs takes charge.

Part of the zombie like mentality of this team has to fall on Robin. Hopefully Robin recognizes he may not be cut out for this and resigns after the season.

Greg is hard to put pressure on a team when our offense doesn't show up.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 04:52 AM)
You can spin this however you want, but the numbers in 2011 & 2012 don't lie. He has been terrible in high leverage situations over the past few years. I will always appreciate how dominant he once was, but he is no longer that pitcher. The current version s***s the bed more often than not when the pressure is on.

And that means in a trade we get two minor leaguers of average ability, right?

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 04:53 AM)
Greg is hard to put pressure on a team when our offense doesn't show up.

Why can't anybody ever drive in a run?? Lexi was on second with one out. Predictably, nothing came of it.