Facebook

iamshack

I guess sometimes I just enjoyed not knowing what everyone thinks about Rolling Stone magazine, who is going to the grocery store and when, who's kid lost their tooth last week, who is upset that their boss didn't give them a raise, and who got screwed over by the guy they picked up in the bar last night...

Jeesh, I can hardly tolerate it anymore..

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
I guess sometimes I just enjoyed not knowing what everyone thinks about Rolling Stone magazine, who is going to the grocery store and when, who's kid lost their tooth last week, who is upset that their boss didn't give them a raise, and who got screwed over by the guy they picked up in the bar last night...

https://www.facebook.com/help/214376678584711

I still enjoy FB for catching up with people and reading funny things. I had to filter out things like over political and racist acquantances, and I have tried to delete steve multiple times(i just cant quit you, steve), but on the whole I still enjoy FB.

I can understand why people get burned out on it though

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)

I only use it as a way to organize with friends still. It's easier to connect with people on Facebook then it is via email.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 08:08 AM)
I still enjoy FB for catching up with people and reading funny things. I had to filter out things like over political and racist acquantances, and I have tried to delete steve multiple times(i just cant quit you, steve), but on the whole I still enjoy FB.

Yeah, it's good for some things, like you and Russ mentioned...but every morning when I go and read the latest postings and news, I just shake my head at the ignorance people post.

Basically, I use it to keep track of everyone's kid's names and what not.

I like it for keeping in touch with family and friends and the ability to quickly share and view photos. But, the political stuff drives me nuts. I have "friends" on both ends of the political spectrum, and some of them post (usually share) the stupidest stuff. One "friend", who happends to be a relative in-law, constantly shares every anti-Obama/anti-Democrat thing out there. The worst part about all of this is that this person is not even registered to vote. I've seriously considered un-friending them, but their ignorance is almost comical. I laughed out loud the other day when they shared a post from some group called Occupy NRA. The post essentially said that stricter gun laws are needed and compared the amount of gun violence in the US with other countries, stating that the countries with the lowest gun crime rates had the strictest gun laws. But, since the post seemed at first to be bashing the current government, this person shared it, thinking they were once again bashing the current administration.

I can get pretty fed up with the crap I read on Facebook. I know I was very close to unfriending a bunch of people around the time of the election. But, as I said, it is nice to keep in touch with friends and family.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
I can't figure it out anymore. It seems like half the s*** doesn't show up on my feed anymore, there's crappy advertising everywhere. It's still a good way to kill time when bored.

These, plus also, it is a BEAR of an app on the iPhone as far as taking up processing and internet bandwidth. I don't use it nearly as often anymore.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
I can't figure it out anymore. It seems like half the s*** doesn't show up on my feed anymore, there's crappy advertising everywhere. It's still a good way to kill time when bored.

Arrange your news feed by Most Recent, dips***. :P

Facebook is getting more complex by the day. I found just unsubscribing to certain people's news-feeds does wonders. If you really don't give a s*** about what most people on your friend's list have to say, just block everyone and subscribe to the news-feeds that you enjoy.

I've thought about quitting facebook numerous times. It's a way to keep in touch with my family so it's somewhat difficult.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 11:24 AM)
I like it for keeping in touch with family and friends and the ability to quickly share and view photos. But, the political stuff drives me nuts. I have "friends" on both ends of the political spectrum, and some of them post (usually share) the stupidest stuff. One "friend", who happends to be a relative in-law, constantly shares every anti-Obama/anti-Democrat thing out there. The worst part about all of this is that this person is not even registered to vote. I've seriously considered un-friending them, but their ignorance is almost comical. I laughed out loud the other day when they shared a post from some group called Occupy NRA. The post essentially said that stricter gun laws are needed and compared the amount of gun violence in the US with other countries, stating that the countries with the lowest gun crime rates had the strictest gun laws. But, since the post seemed at first to be bashing the current government, this person shared it, thinking they were once again bashing the current administration.

I can get pretty fed up with the crap I read on Facebook. I know I was very close to unfriending a bunch of people around the time of the election. But, as I said, it is nice to keep in touch with friends and family.

People who post excess political stuff I don't wanna see but I'm friends with IRL, I don't delete them I just unsubscribe, or uncheck "Show in news feed" or whatever they describe it as these days.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)

Ditto

People who post excess political stuff I don't wanna see but I'm friends with IRL, I don't delete them I just unsubscribe, or uncheck "Show in news feed" or whatever they describe it as these days.

This ^^

Facebook is very useful if you want to keep in touch with friends and know how to filter out the crap you don't want to read.

I have friends b****ing about getting 500 requests to play Candy Crush, when all you have to do is disable Candy Crush requests after the first one and you never see the other 499.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)

Facebook also uses their algorithms to decide which things to show you out of pages you like based on how often you click them. If there's a person you want regularly showing up in your feed, or a business/thread, go to that page, hover over the "liked" button, and adjust the settings so that all of their posts show up in your feed.

I dont have a real facebook. If I want to talk to you, Ill find you. If you want to talk to me, youll find me.

I have no interest in reliving the glory of my youth and rehashing how badass I was in High School/College. I know, I lived it. But I just dont need there to be any way someone can attach my name to something illegal.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)
I dont have a real facebook. If I want to talk to you, Ill find you. If you want to talk to me, youll find me.

I have no interest in reliving the glory of my youth and rehashing how badass I was in High School/College. I know, I lived it. But I just dont need there to be any way someone can attach my name to something illegal.

We don't always agree, but we're 100% on this one.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
I like it for keeping in touch with family and friends and the ability to quickly share and view photos. But, the political stuff drives me nuts. .... As I said, it is nice to keep in touch with friends and family.

Exactly. I don't understand why some of my relatives won't get facebook. While I don't post much and don't read a ton of posts, it's good to look at pictures of family members and friends and see what's important to them.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
I don't have a facebook account. I was told by everyone in 2005 that I'd "have" to have one eventually and I'd cave soon.

Shack's post made me realize that nope, still not missing much.

I have a lot of relatives who refuse to use facebook. I think if you like to look at pictures of family members and old friends, you are missing out. Otherwise you probably made an OK decision regarding Facebook.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)

I am on a Facebook page of people in my grade school in Chicago and high school both, and a lot of college friends, and there isn't a lot of that type of stuff going on. People aren't really playing the nostalgia game. It's just kind of cool, for me at least, to check out my former classmates/friends and see pix of their families, etc. I don't recall any posts starting out, "Remember when we did this in Misses O'Malley's Class?" "Remember how that nun beat the s*** out of Tommy?" etc.

In summation, I hate posting stuff on Facebook because people type the dumbest comments in response to my post. So I don't post much. I hit the 'like' button a lot, and once in a while make a comment about somebody else's posts.

What's the harm in Facebook? I'll tell you one thing, I can't convince my sister to join. She gets all mad and freaks out (probably the mood meds she's been on since her divorce) about a lot of things, including facebook.

I definitely do not resemble the opinionated Greg I am on here. I pretty much shut up and mind my own business on facebook.

Edited by greg775

I got on FB a few years ago when my company decided to move their operation to Florida and all my coworkers and I were let go. So it was a good way to keep in touch with them and explore any job opportunities that came up.

I ended up connecting with a friend of mine that I had lost track of after 5th grade. He was a financial advisor and actually helped me take care of my 401k from my old job.

Another time I got together with a handful of my old classmates through FB and we built a float for our high school's 100 year anniversary.

Just a couple of weeks ago I found out through FB that a girl that lived 5 houses away from me when we were kids had passed away. We were never really friends per se but it was sort of shocking to see that someone I'd known almost my whole life had died that young.

I don't post all that much on there but it's certainly been useful in keeping me informed with things I would've otherwise missed. I'm also just nosy enough to be interested in what everyone else is doing with their lives. Even if it's someone I haven't talked to in years.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 02:12 PM)
I got on FB a few years ago when my company decided to move their operation to Florida and all my coworkers and I were let go. So it was a good way to keep in touch with them and explore any job opportunities that came up.

I ended up connecting with a friend of mine that I had lost track of after 5th grade. He was a financial advisor and actually helped me take care of my 401k from my old job.

Another time I got together with a handful of my old classmates through FB and we built a float for our high school's 100 year anniversary.

Just a couple of weeks ago I found out through FB that a girl that lived 5 houses away from me when we were kids had passed away. We were never really friends per se but it was sort of shocking to see that someone I'd known almost my whole life had died that young.

I don't post all that much on there but it's certainly been useful in keeping me informed with things I would've otherwise missed. I'm also just nosy enough to be interested in what everyone else is doing with their lives. Even if it's someone I haven't talked to in years.

Great examples to show those who refuse to have a facebook page. You never know what will pop up from the past. You got 401K help just cause you were on facebook.