7/22 Games

flavum

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 02:27 AM)
Not only is there a lack of stat similarities, I don't think this comparison should make people think Semien=Desmond because of a couple statistical similarities in the season Semien is playing. When Macrus hits .354/.428/.461 next year in AAA as a 23 year old then I'll feel better about it.

I don't understand why Semien hasn't played SS every game this year. I know Saladino had a nice start to his professional career and a lot of guys like him a couple years back but the power and now the average have disappeared. Semien should be top priority.

I'd guess they want both to play both positions at this point, because A) they don't know what position either will be needed at or good at in the end and B) they may both become utility guys and the varied experience gives them another path to the majors. No harm in moving them back and forth as long as they aren't struggling mightily at one of the positions.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also want to add... I like Semien a lot, I've ranked him higher than others in the FS poll group the last few rounds, but even I don't think he's a Top 50 or even Top 100 prospect in baseball yet. I do think he'll be well into the org's T10 this offseason, barring something unexpected happening between now and the end of the season.

I think a Charlotte middle infield of Sanchez and Semien in 2014 should be fun to watch. But you never know what happens with the trade deadline and the offseason.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 11:50 PM)
In all honesty I don't see that comparison at all, In all seriousness how are you getting that comparison and how does that come to your mind? I'm not trying to be a jerk.

21 Year Old Season - A+

Desmond - G 129 HR 13 RBI 45 SB 27 CS 11 .264/.357/.432/.789

Semien - G 107 HR 14 RBI 59 SB 11 CS 5 .273/.362/.471/.833

Semien (Adjusted for 129 Games) - G 129 HR 16 RBI 71 SB 13 CS 6 .273/.362/.471/.833

22 Year Old Season - AA

Desmond - G 93 HR 12 RBI 44 SB 12 CS 8 .251/.318/.406/.724

Semien - G 97 HR 12 RBI 39 SB 17 CS 5 .271/.394/.438/.832

Are those really that drastically different? Both players project to hit around .260-.280 & 20/20 with Semien holding an advantage in the power department so far, it's not a perfect comparison but I found the similarities between the two players pretty interesting. Also, you're not being a jerk, just extremely condescending.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)
Also want to add... I like Semien a lot, I've ranked him higher than others in the FS poll group the last few rounds, but even I don't think he's a Top 50 or even Top 100 prospect in baseball yet. I do think he'll be well into the org's T10 this offseason, barring something unexpected happening between now and the end of the season.

I think a Charlotte middle infield of Sanchez and Semien in 2014 should be fun to watch. But you never know what happens with the trade deadline and the offseason.

I guess I don't get what else people expect from Semien? He's 2nd in the Southern Leage in OBP & 7th in OPS, all as a 22 year old middle infielder. The only legit prospects doing better than him are Joc Pederson & Jake Marisnick, both who are top 100 talents.

I honestly believe we're all underestimating Semien because of the organization's struggles to develop position players in the past.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
21 Year Old Season - A+

Desmond - G 129 HR 13 RBI 45 SB 27 CS 11 .264/.357/.432/.789

Semien - G 107 HR 14 RBI 59 SB 11 CS 5 .273/.362/.471/.833

Semien (Adjusted for 129 Games) - G 129 HR 16 RBI 71 SB 13 CS 6 .273/.362/.471/.833

22 Year Old Season - AA

Desmond - G 93 HR 12 RBI 44 SB 12 CS 8 .251/.318/.406/.724

Semien - G 97 HR 12 RBI 39 SB 17 CS 5 .271/.394/.438/.832

Are those really that drastically different? Both players project to hit around .260-.280 & 20/20 with Semien holding an advantage in the power department so far, it's not a perfect comparison but I found the similarities between the two players pretty interesting. Also, you're not being a jerk, just extremely condescending.

first off sorry if I came across condescending. to me yes they are to completely different hitters. Semien doesnt just have an understaning of the strike zone he controls it and so far this season he is showing more power than desmond did at AA.

I also agree that as a whole we are undervaluing what Marcus is doing at AA as a 22 year old with the tools defensivley to stick at SS.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
I guess I don't get what else people expect from Semien? He's 2nd in the Southern Leage in OBP & 7th in OPS, all as a 22 year old middle infielder. The only legit prospects doing better than him are Joc Pederson & Jake Marisnick, both who are top 100 talents.

I honestly believe we're all underestimating Semien because of the organization's struggles to develop position players in the past.

I don't expect more from him. I think he is a very good prospect, one of the best in the system. But Top 50 guys in all of baseball tend to have one or more blow-away tools, which Marcus doesn't have.

I personally think he has a decent shot at being a major league starter.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
I think as a whole fans over value tools and undervalue performance and floor. The cards under jeff luhnow developed an amazing pipline of college aged mid-low floor baseball players.

Well, I think it is far more complicated than that.

But to be clear, when I was talking about tools and Semien, I was more referring to the way those Top 50 prospect lists and the like are compiled. Not about actual prospect value.

QUOTE (jthunder93 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 09:25 PM)
I'd have to guess that he'll get some next season. Also, he is a very young 19. His birthday was only 10 days ago!

This is from the pre-draft scouting report...

This certainly wasn't unexpected (.82 PB/game, but throwing out 56% of runners)

9 PBs in 11 games is unexpected. That is way past a work in progress.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
I don't expect more from him. I think he is a very good prospect, one of the best in the system. But Top 50 guys in all of baseball tend to have one or more blow-away tools, which Marcus doesn't have.

I personally think he has a decent shot at being a major league starter.

I'm not suggesting he's a top 50 prospect, nor am I disagreeing with your definition of one. However, I don't know why plate discipline isn't considered a tool more often, as it's one strongest drivers of long-term success with prospects. Semien has an incredible BB:K ratio of 71:61, which is even more impressive when you consider he's 22 years old and probably a league ahead of where he should be.

Obviously his .394 OBP won't translate fully to the pros, but you could cut 50 points off and he'd still have the highest OBP on the White Sox's roster.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 07:54 AM)
first off sorry if I came across condescending. to me yes they are to completely different hitters. Semien doesnt just have an understaning of the strike zone he controls it and so far this season he is showing more power than desmond did at AA.

I also agree that as a whole we are undervaluing what Marcus is doing at AA as a 22 year old with the tools defensivley to stick at SS.

No problem, I agree that currently Desmond and Semien are two very different hitters but back in 2007-08 I'm not sure too many people were expecting Desmond to develop 25+ HR power either. I'm not saying that Semien will develop that much power in the MLB but if his progression continues (big IF) then I could see him hitting 15-20 HR seasons which I think will be more in line with Desmond's career average. Tadahito Iguchi circa 2005-06 might be a better comparison at the plate.

It's good to hear that Semien has the glove to stick at SS, we haven't had a good hitting true SS in the system for a long time.

I'm not sure he does have the glove to stick at SS. That's not what I've read more recently. That scouting report was from when he was drafted. There's a big difference between a very good college SS and a good pro SS.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
9 PBs in 11 games is unexpected. That is way past a work in progress.

If he can't get it done defensively behind the plate, he does have the skill set to play outfield...he did play a fair amount of time in right field in high school. He has a great arm, and has above average speed.

Zach Stoner has 7 PB in 12 games.

Edited by jthunder93