Rick Hahn on McNeil and Spiegel Show

Y2Jimmy0

Rick Hahn was on Hit and Run this morning with Connor McKnight and Barry Rozner.

Said many of the same things.

He's looking forward to watching his pitchers start, the growth of guys like Josh Phegley, and mentioned that 2-4 new guys could be up here this year that ideally will be part of their new core.

Mentioned that he wanted Garcia in Charlotte for a bit so he could continue to play CF because his offensive profile would be enhanced at a premier position like CF.

He also mentioned that one of the only good things about being this bad is the amateur draft pool and international pool that he will have tos pend next year.

Full interview should be available on 670thescore.com at some point today.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
I really don't like the idea of Garcia in CF. Seems more like a corner guy.

Me neither . Just stick him in a corner and forget about him. I'm a huge proponent of the best possible defense in CF, guys with speed to burn who can make up for deficiencies in the other outfielders. We've seen what a Lorenzo Cain and Aaron Hicks type can do 1st hand. Garcia just isn't that kind of player . I want him chilling in a corner ,not having to sprint from gap to gap all game. I don't want that big body wearing out and getting too much mileage on it.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
I'd like him to play wherever he has the most value. If he can be an average CF'er, or even just a little below average, he may be more valuable than he would be as an average to above rightfielder.

Agreed. I'll be much higher on him if he can stick in CF. At least for a few years.

If Garcia is better than De Aza, then play him in CF next year. At some point in the near future, we'll acquire or develop a stronger defensive CF and Garcia will slide over to RF. Until then, find a way to get your best three OFs in the lineup. As long as Garcia isn't a butcher in CF, that's probably where he belongs for now.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
I'd like him to play wherever he has the most value. If he can be an average CF'er, or even just a little below average, he may be more valuable than he would be as an average to above rightfielder.

Value is what you worry about when you are trading with teams. I'd like him to play wherever he gives the team the best chance to win in the future.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
Value is what you worry about when you are trading with teams. I'd like him to play wherever he gives the team the best chance to win in the future.

Value is what I worry about for us. It's easier to find a RF that can hit than it is a CF that can hit. If Garcia hits in CF, it's easier to improve the offense than if he hits in RF.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
Mike Trout is 6'2" 230 and he plays a gold glove CF.

Jake, you've watched the past few games, any early reports on his D?

I haven't seen too much definitively. Camera work is hit and miss. The way he moves is kind of awkward to me, it seems, but I haven't seen him really be challenged. He looks fast as he runs the bases though, I was surprised with how natural and smooth his gait is.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 11:26 AM)
Me neither . Just stick him in a corner and forget about him. I'm a huge proponent of the best possible defense in CF, guys with speed to burn who can make up for deficiencies in the other outfielders. We've seen what a Lorenzo Cain and Aaron Hicks type can do 1st hand. Garcia just isn't that kind of player . I want him chilling in a corner ,not having to sprint from gap to gap all game. I don't want that big body wearing out and getting too much mileage on it.

I think you allow Garcia to play CF until he proves that he cannot. I know many people are down on the system but I still like Trayce Thompson an awful lot. Trayce, imo, can stay in CF. Ideally for me, Garcia is in CF until Thompson is ready, moving him to a corner.