Interviews with 9 Winston-Salem prospects

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 12:59 AM)
I love what Recchia had to say about being a pitcher. Hawkins sounded like he was being a bit petulant, like a kid sulking because he didn't get his way. We may have a mental midget on our hands

You don't hit .175 in the minors due to having a good approach/mindset at the plate.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
Being from Orland Park and having watched Recchia play in high school he is definitely a guy I am rooting for.

Hawkins, like I got ripped for saying earlier this year, seems to have an attitude issue. Only now a lot of posters seem to agree now. I did like the fact that he is saying he's going to take it one step at a time because I feel like he got caught up in getting to the bigs at an accelerated pace. Not only was he an early pick in the draft, but he flew through rookie ball and Kanny. Regardless of his head the physical tools are there and I hope he has a great offseason aiming towards a big '14.

You didn't get ripped for that at all. You got ripped for trolling the kid.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)
Among other things. Everything he has shown so far has only proven me to be correct. In fact, a week or so after my thread he blocked the W-S Dash beat writer on twitter for tweeting about his struggles. Acts like that just exude confidence in his maturity.

You're taking Twitter to an extreme my friend.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)
Among other things. Everything he has shown so far has only proven me to be correct. In fact, a week or so after my thread he blocked the W-S Dash beat writer on twitter for tweeting about his struggles. Acts like that just exude confidence in his maturity.

No, he hasn't proven you correct in any way at all. You sat behind your computer, sniped at him, and became incredulous when he didn't want any of it.

You're what, 18? 19? You're proving yourself every bit as immature as you say Hawkins is.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
That is definitely debatable but I am not looking to open that can of worms again.

I only took issue, as everyone else, with the fact that you instigated an argument with him to turn around and bash him for arguing with you. Not many people here take issue, or even disagree with the assessment that CH is pretty immature. If I were you I'd stop trying to defend your behaviors and let it go.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Sep 1, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
I only took issue, as everyone else, with the fact that you instigated an argument with him to turn around and bash him for arguing with you. Not many people here take issue, or even disagree with the assessment that CH is pretty immature. If I were you I'd stop trying to defend your behaviors and let it go.

+1

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 06:59 PM)
I love what Recchia had to say about being a pitcher. Hawkins sounded like he was being a bit petulant, like a kid sulking because he didn't get his way. We may have a mental midget on our hands

Its hard to put down in words, but, I actually didn't get "petulant" out of it. Honestly, the way he said it, it sounded more like... resigned. Perhaps even a little wistful, thinking about his previous outlook. And I had been warned before the interview, that he may not even be willing to talk, and if he did that he may not be very talkative.

He's been broken down by his situation and his performance. I think he's approaching rock bottom, and watching him hit, his mechanical and approach issues (which are both still prevalent, though both looked improved to me) are made worse by seeming to be just beaten. It will be very interesting to see how he comes out of the gate next season.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 1, 2013 -> 11:55 PM)
Refer to my post 3 or 4 above this. I didn't even want to go there.

This is at least the third time that YOU brought the topic back up, then had the audacity to act like you didn't want to bring it up. You've been told clearly why people go on your case, you refuse to believe it, and you keep bringing it back to life. I for one am tired if seeing it pollute the threads.

Drop the subject, drop the victim routine, and don't bring it up again.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 08:42 AM)
Its hard to put down in words, but, I actually didn't get "petulant" out of it. Honestly, the way he said it, it sounded more like... resigned. Perhaps even a little wistful, thinking about his previous outlook. And I had been warned before the interview, that he may not even be willing to talk, and if he did that he may not be very talkative.

He's been broken down by his situation and his performance. I think he's approaching rock bottom, and watching him hit, his mechanical and approach issues (which are both still prevalent, though both looked improved to me) are made worse by seeming to be just beaten. It will be very interesting to see how he comes out of the gate next season.

Now that scares me more than anything. I love a healthy ego in an athlete. I think it makes them tougher and more resilient. If he has lost that confidence, the kid could be in trouble.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
Now that scares me more than anything. I love a healthy ego in an athlete. I think it makes them tougher and more resilient. If he has lost that confidence, the kid could be in trouble.

That's a real fear I have as well. On the other hand, perhaps his ego was a bit oversized. Problem is, if he doesn't pick himself back up after this... then he's going to top out at AA and that will be it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
That's a real fear I have as well. On the other hand, perhaps his ego was a bit oversized. Problem is, if he doesn't pick himself back up after this... then he's going to top out at AA and that will be it.

I don't buy the oversized thing. Maybe for an ordinary 16 inch softball player, but for a guy who is trying to make it to the biggest stage in the world, they should be pretty egotistical about themselves. They really should believe they are the best there is, because that is the only way they will be the best.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
I don't buy the oversized thing. Maybe for an ordinary 16 inch softball player, but for a guy who is trying to make it to the biggest stage in the world, they should be pretty egotistical about themselves. They really should believe they are the best there is, because that is the only way they will be the best.

Except that they then don't make adjustments, which all pros have to do.

All the guys in the minors were the best wherever they came from, at least in High School, some in college. And nearly all of them will, at some point, not be the best in the minors. They have to adjust and improve, and take to coaching, all of which they hadn't done before.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
Except that they then don't make adjustments, which all pros have to do.

All the guys in the minors were the best wherever they came from, at least in High School, some in college. And nearly all of them will, at some point, not be the best in the minors. They have to adjust and improve, and take to coaching, all of which they hadn't done before.

And we all know he has made many adjustments.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
And we all know he has made many adjustments.

Yeah, which is why there is still hope. It is a fine line to be sure - you want him to understand he can't just reach the majors on pure talent. On the other hand, you don't want him SO broken down that he just can't get his head right.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)

This is one of the things I actually kind of agree with Hawk about. He routinely says, "Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right either way." It's kind of a catch 22 though, because you need to have success in order to gain that much needed confidence he's talking about.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 12:13 PM)
The bolded isn't true but message heard.

You really want to accuse other people of being dishonest, when the evidence is right freakin here...

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
Being from Orland Park and having watched Recchia play in high school he is definitely a guy I am rooting for.

Hawkins, like I got ripped for saying earlier this year, seems to have an attitude issue. Only now a lot of posters seem to agree now. I did like the fact that he is saying he's going to take it one step at a time because I feel like he got caught up in getting to the bigs at an accelerated pace. Not only was he an early pick in the draft, but he flew through rookie ball and Kanny. Regardless of his head the physical tools are there and I hope he has a great offseason aiming towards a big '14.

That is YOUR post, unless someone hacked your account. YOU brought it up. Again. No one made mention of it before you did. You are just making yourself look juvenile here.

Drop it.