Sox to Make Hard Push for Granderson

Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)
DeAza is good as gone anyway. Viciedo is pointless to dump for pennies on the dollar. I'm not sure how/why you would factor them into a Granderson addition anyway. Granderson = no 2nd round pick plus the money, and you're getting exactly what out of him? He's the type of player that should hit a sharp decline pretty soon, a speedy K power guy. No thanks, dumb move. We're not contenders & he should garner less trade interest 1-2 season from now than he has interest on the open market now, and his return would probably be pretty underwhelming.

This is where Jerry Reinsdorf scares me. He doesn't want to watch 95 losses again. He wants at least a watchable product year-to-year, and hope to get a bunch of career years at the same time. So if Granderson fits in the big league budget, I can see him wanting Kenny and Rick to get him, and not worry about the draft pick.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
You could also look at it as the Sox would have to give up Erik Johnson to get him, in addition to spending that on a contract.

Erik Johnson would still be with the team. I mention the #53 pick the past 10 years, you say that is not a good comp, then use the one Sox 2nd rounder who may eventually be successful as the rule. LMAO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
Erik Johnson would still be with the team. I mention the #53 pick the past 10 years, you say that is not a good comp, then use the one Sox 2nd rounder who may eventually be successful as the rule. LMAO.

Addison Reed or Nate Jones or whoever you want. The Sox are not in a position to give up any draft picks.

Recent Sox 2nd rounders:

Tyler Danish

Chris Beck

Erik Johnson

Jake Petricka

Trayce Thompson

Comp Round Picks near the second round

Keon Barnum

Josh Phegley

I am not sure I would give up any of those players and take back Granderson and the $45-$60M it will take to sign him.

If the Sox were an OF bat short from contending, it would be worth the move, but if you are rebuilding it doesn't make a lot of sense to take on that type of payroll obligation and give up young talent for the sake of losing 75 games instead of 80 games.

FWIW, per MLBTR

"Curtis Granderson Rumors: Thursday

By Steve Adams [December 5 at 12:13pm CST]

Yesterday it was reported that talks between Curtis Granderson and the Mets have intensified, and the Mets are becoming increasingly optimistic about their chances to land him. The Red Sox reportedly haven't ruled him out. The Diamondbacks, though they strongly desire a corner outfield bat with some power, aren't likely to be able to afford him. We'll keep track of today's Granderson rumors here...

Granderson's talks with the Mets are more advanced than they are with other teams, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Other teams remain in the mix, however.

Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald tweets that the Red Sox are more interested in right-handed outfield bats to complement Jackie Bradley Jr., so they don't see Granderson as a great fit"

No mention of the white Sox.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
FWIW, per MLBTR

"Curtis Granderson Rumors: Thursday

By Steve Adams [December 5 at 12:13pm CST]

Yesterday it was reported that talks between Curtis Granderson and the Mets have intensified, and the Mets are becoming increasingly optimistic about their chances to land him. The Red Sox reportedly haven't ruled him out. The Diamondbacks, though they strongly desire a corner outfield bat with some power, aren't likely to be able to afford him. We'll keep track of today's Granderson rumors here...

Granderson's talks with the Mets are more advanced than they are with other teams, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Other teams remain in the mix, however.

Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald tweets that the Red Sox are more interested in right-handed outfield bats to complement Jackie Bradley Jr., so they don't see Granderson as a great fit"

No mention of the white Sox.

It did surprise me to see the Sox mentioned with him yesterday, but a lot of that could be trying to drive his price up, as it was reported the Sox at least had a lot of interest earlier before Abreu signed

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
It did surprise me to see the Sox mentioned with him yesterday, but a lot of that could be trying to drive his price up, as it was reported the Sox at least had a lot of interest earlier before Abreu signed

I think this is the case. I don't see how signing Granderson to a 3-4 year deal is going to fit in Rick's "long term plan." He will be at the tail end of that contract by the time we are truly contending and he'll be 35-36.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)

Indeed they did. What will we all discuss once this is settled? Lol. There are obviously two sides to the Granderson discussions but at least we've had something to discuss in a very boring off season ( outside of Abreu of course).

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
Indeed they did. What will we all discuss once this is settled? Lol. There are obviously two sides to the Granderson discussions but at least we've had something to discuss in a very boring off season ( outside of Abreu of course).

The Winter Meetings are next week. The Sox will make some moves before spring training. I would bet they make several. Whether or not they can put together a legit playoff contender is questionable at best, but JR doesn't want to sit through another year like last year. They are going to add some players they think are better than the ones they have.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
The Winter Meetings are next week. The Sox will make some moves before spring training. I would bet they make several.

This is something we can agree on for sure. I have to remind myself daily that its a long off season, but the anxiety/anticipation still rears its ugly head at times.

The age is a factor too. If Granderson were 28, I'd have no problem with the Sox signing him to a 5 or 6 year deal and giving up the pick. He's not and he's coming off a pretty significant injury, even if they were freak accidents. It's just not a wise investment.

You can put this thread to sleep now.

Per MLBTR...

"Granderson Seeking Four Years, $64MM

By Steve Adams [December 5 at 2:42pm CST]

Newsday's Marc Carig reports (via Twitter) that Granderson has been seeking a four-year deal worth $16MM annually.

Earlier Updates

A guaranteed fourth year is still up for debate in Granderson negotiations, tweets Andy Martino of the New York Daily News. In a second tweet, he adds that the Mets may have to go four years to land him but aren't resigned to that yet.

ALRIGHTY THEN! :o

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
You can put this thread to sleep now.

Per MLBTR...

"Granderson Seeking Four Years, $64MM

By Steve Adams [December 5 at 2:42pm CST]

Newsday's Marc Carig reports (via Twitter) that Granderson has been seeking a four-year deal worth $16MM annually.

Earlier Updates

A guaranteed fourth year is still up for debate in Granderson negotiations, tweets Andy Martino of the New York Daily News. In a second tweet, he adds that the Mets may have to go four years to land him but aren't resigned to that yet.

ALRIGHTY THEN! :o

Really thought the Red Sox would be all over Choo this offseason and play him with Bradley and Victorino in the OF.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
Really thought the Red Sox would be all over Choo this offseason and play him with Bradley and Victorino in the OF.

Their outfield is set with Victorino, Nava and Bradley Jr. Unless they shifted Victorino to Cf with Choose in left and Bradley Jr as a rotating 4th outfielder off the bench to keep guys rested and Jr atbats.

Back to Granderson, I don't think anyone saw this asking price coming. Bloody hell!

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
Back to Granderson, I don't think anyone saw this asking price coming. Bloody hell!

When I thoguth that 3/$40 was about a fair asking price for him, I assumed he'd beat that, which is why when people were talking about him in the $20's last week I was surprised and was saying go for it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
When I thoguth that 3/$40 was about a fair asking price for him, I assumed he'd beat that, which is why when people were talking about him in the $20's last week I was surprised and was saying go for it.

Guess I underestimated the market as well as teams that are desperate, big time. I'm surprised people would go that high (20's) for Granderson. Call me crazy but I would pay Ellsbury 20+ before Granderson.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
Guess I underestimated the market as well as teams that are desperate, big time. I'm surprised people would go that high (20's) for Granderson. Call me crazy but I would pay Ellsbury 20+ but not Granderson.

He is saying $20 mill total, as in like 3/$27, or $9 mill a year. I think Granderson ends up with a $48 mill deal - $15 mill per year with a team option for $18 in the 4th or a $3 mill buy out, or something along those lines.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
The $64 million is what he was asking for, not necessarily what he will get. Considering he turned down the qualifying offer of $14 million, that shouldn't be so shocking.

Guess I figured given his age he turned it down to get a long term deal around the 14m range which is still rich for my taste.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
He is saying $20 mill total, as in like 3/$27, or $9 mill a year. I think Granderson ends up with a $48 mill deal - $15 mill per year with a team option for $18 in the 4th or a $3 mill buy out, or something along those lines.

OK, that makes more sense.