spann?

mataipaepae

Perhaps of Viciedo is moved in another deal for a 3B. I would like Spann in CF and De Aza in LF, combined with Garcia in RF and the Sox will have one of the better defensive OF's in baseball. If this team is going to be built around pitching it is important to shore up the defense behind them. Plus the additional LH bat provides for better lineup parity.

I'd give up Viciedo straight up. I would.

ADA to LF, Span to CF. I think Span bounces back and our defense improves immensely. Span is better suited as a leadoff hitter and ADA is better suited as a 6 or 7 hitter.

I'd give him a Mark Teahen-esque extension too -- get a discount hoping that he improves

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
Perhaps of Viciedo is moved in another deal for a 3B. I would like Spann in CF and De Aza in LF, combined with Garcia in RF and the Sox will have one of the better defensive OF's in baseball. If this team is going to be built around pitching it is important to shore up the defense behind them. Plus the additional LH bat provides for better lineup parity.

Then you don't have enough power.

You can't have 2/3rd's for your outfield hitting 15-18 homers unless you're playing in a huge stadium.

And trading Viciedo isn't going to get you a bonafide major league ready 3B prospect or 1st/2nd year player anyway...maybe you get someone like a Headley or Sandoval for one season, but then you're starting all over again trying to replace that player via trade or free agency.

We've already gone through this list (3B trade possibilities), and couldn't even agree that we could get Lawrie for Santiago. You're certainly not going to get him for Viciedo.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)

You can't have 2/3rd's for your outfield hitting 15-18 homers unless you're playing in a huge stadium.

And trading Viciedo isn't going to get you a bonafide major league ready 3B prospect or 1st/2nd year player anyway...maybe you get someone like a Headley or Sandoval for one season, but then you're starting all over again trying to replace that player via trade or free agency.

We've already gone through this list (3B trade possibilities), and couldn't even agree that we could get Lawrie for Santiago. You're certainly not going to get him for Viciedo.

The problem is power is down everywhere for every position, so trying to find the guys that are going to hit 30 homers a year is going to be really expensive, so you have to find other ways to compete. Hopefully you get enough guys on base so that when your big bats step up there are some runs there to be driven in. The approach of getting power hitters at all the corners isn't really viable anymore. Check out the two world series teams this year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)

(1) Says who? Steroid era position paradigms are long-gone. Only 24 OFers in the entire Majors even reached 20 HR last year. There isn't even one 20+ HR outfielder available per team.

(2) Viciedo hit 14 last year. The problem with power is that you have to make contact for it to matter.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
The problem is power is down everywhere for every position, so trying to find the guys that are going to hit 30 homers a year is going to be really expensive, so you have to find other ways to compete. Hopefully you get enough guys on base so that when your big bats step up there are some runs there to be driven in. The approach of getting power hitters at all the corners isn't really viable anymore. Check out the two world series teams this year.

Beltran and Holliday aren't power hitters?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
(1) Says who? Steroid era position paradigms are long-gone. Only 24 OFers in the entire Majors even reached 20 HR last year. There isn't even one 20+ HR outfielder available per team.

(2) Viciedo hit 14 last year. The problem with power is that you have to make contact for it to matter.

2) He also hit 24 or 25 or whatever the number was his rookie season.

He missed 3-4 weeks of time this season due to injury. It was a down season, and there's really no reason for a corner guy not to hit at least 20....but if you told Hahn right now Viciedo wasn't going to hit mid 20's in 2014, he'd probably give up on him.

Rios and Viciedo are/were legit 20+ homer guys. Garcia's SUPPOSED to be, when he matures.

Power isn't completely irrelevant.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
2) He also hit 24 or 25 or whatever the number was his rookie season.

He missed 3-4 weeks of time this season due to injury. It was a down season, and there's really no reason for a corner guy not to hit at least 20....but if you told Hahn right now Viciedo wasn't going to hit mid 20's in 2014, he'd probably give up on him.

Rios and Viciedo are/were legit 20+ homer guys. Garcia's SUPPOSED to be, when he matures.

Power isn't completely irrelevant.

(1) No one is saying that power is irrelevant, just that you/we need to adjust our frame of reference for how much of it is available. 15-18 HR is moderate to decent power these days. Again, there aren't enough 20 HR outfielders for each team to even have one.

(2) Viciedo is only a legit 20+ HR guy if he becomes a better hitter. When he hit 25 in his rookie season, he did NOTHING else well, which is a pretty good indicator that the 25 wasn't sustainable. There's no doubt he has the power tool, but there is a lot of doubt that he has the skill to be a true-talent power hitter.

(3) If a team needs "power," it doesn't matter where the team gets it. It's just nice to build a frame of reference for what you can expect to find from a particular position. There may be truth to the statement that a team will have great difficulty winning without a few reliable power sources on the field, but it isn't true at all to say that a team can't win without x homers from y positions

The LA Times is reporting that the Dodgers are willing to trade Matt Kemp, and know that they have to eat some salary to do it. I'm not sure what the Dodgers are looking for in return, but Kemp in center for us would make me very excited.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)

Viciedo was injured and missed nearly a 1/4 of the season. He was also a 24 year old in only his second full year.

I respect your opinion and thought process on most topics, but I think you're way off on Viciedo.

QUOTE (Tannerfan @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 05:32 PM)
The LA Times is reporting that the Dodgers are willing to trade Matt Kemp, and know that they have to eat some salary to do it. I'm not sure what the Dodgers are looking for in return, but Kemp in center for us would make me very excited.

I think Matt Kemp in center field would have made the Dodgers very excited too, they just got used to not seeing it the last 2 years, and this year they saw a guy who was a shell of Matt Kemp from a couple years ago.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 08:53 PM)
For a team in transition, he is perfectly passable. There's no need to spend an exorbitant amount on a CF when the difference he will make is 72 or 76 wins. I don't understand why you'd want to spend a ton when it really won't matter this year.

Who says I want to spend a ton? Don't need to spend a ton to improve on OF defense or to improve CF. The D was awful last year on this team.

And who says we're in transition? We just made a big FA signing and we have a number 1 starter.

I would probably keep DeAza, absent a good offer for him. Nothing wrong with a little depth. And if we can somehow move Dunn, he could play some DH and spell Vic in CF.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)
Viciedo was injured and missed nearly a 1/4 of the season. He was also a 24 year old in only his second full year.

I respect your opinion and thought process on most topics, but I think you're way off on Viciedo.

I was really optimistic about Viciedo going into last year because I thought that he looked like he was really trying to make some adjustments at the end of 2012. 2013, however, seemed like the opposite to me. I'm not worried about his power or his HR totals, I'm worried about the fact that he is, as of right now, totally a guess hitter whose contact ability isn't as good as I used to think. To my admittedly untrained eye, it didn't look like health was the problem.

But I certainly hope I'm wrong! I would love for you to be able to give me an "I told you so" post about Viciedo this time next year :D

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 08:57 PM)
Who says I want to spend a ton? Don't need to spend a ton to improve on OF defense or to improve CF. The D was awful last year on this team.

And who says we're in transition? We just made a big FA signing and we have a number 1 starter.

I would probably keep DeAza, absent a good offer for him. Nothing wrong with a little depth. And if we can somehow move Dunn, he could play some DH and spell Vic in CF.

Who is vic?