Offseason Top Prospects lists

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
April .207/.309/.244

May .255/.294/.304

June .253/.308/.333

July .255/.291/.316

August .209/.227/.256

September .250/.250/.250

Fairly consistent splits during May/June/July and certainly no significant improvement over the last 6 weeks of the season.

Sanchez was essentially the same player in '13 as he was in '12. The only difference was in the BABIP. In 2012 his BABIP was .385 giving a triple slash of .323/.378/.403, in 2013 his BABIP was .290 giving a triple slash of .241/.293/.296. I don't see where any "major improvement" would come from.

I don't think you can expect major improvement by looking at his year's stats. He has been hitting quite well in Venezuela so far, but that is more like A+/AA competition than AAA. I think that he was pushed up very quickly at a very young age, and his improvement will come from simply getting better and stronger with development time.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
Jason Parks ‏@ProfessorParks 1h

Don't overlook RHP Tyler Danish in #ChiSox system. #6 in that org for me. Unconventional, but everything moves and he can spot it up.

I expect him to make his first appearance in 2015 and be a second ace to Sale by 2016. Not asking too much am I?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:34 PM)
Ya that's real bizarre to have Hawkins over Abreu.

On a positive note, every time I look at these lists, I like what I see more and more when it comes to the talent we have. Obviously there's still a ways to go but we've definitely made progress.

That list is also without Zapata.

I put together my own prospect list recently, based on a three-pronged, highly scientific, criteria of potential impact, combined with perceived likelihood of overcoming development issues and making it to the show, combined withy my excitement level in following their progress. It also contains a bias towards pitching, based on decades of horrible position player development. I'm putting EJohnson, Semien, Webb, Abreu and the Garcia's as non-prospects, expecting most or all of these to be on the opening day roster.

1. Danish

2. Beck

3. T. Anderson

4. M. Johnson

5. Hawkins

6. Tr. Thompson

7. Barnum

8. Bassitt

9. M. Adolfo

10. J. May

11. Snodgress

12. C. Sanchez

13. B. Ortiz

14. B. Jacobs

15. J. Olacio

16. J. Petricka

17. A. Lopez

18. A. Engel

19. S. Ayala

20. K. Hansen

21. M. Jaye

22. J. Cose

23. R. Ravelo

24. K. Walker

25. J. Mitchell (due to AFL performance ONLY), replaces Santos Rodriguez

Fundamentally, I believe that the SPEED TOOL will be soon be valued much greater than it is currently (will start a thread on this soon, I know you're happy for me), and dare I say that our frequently obtuse and dysfunctional org may actually be ahead of the curve in this regard. Thus, my "crazy high" placement of Micah, but don't let that stop you from flaming away.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
Might wanna temper those expectations a bit.

Nah, I'm going all in on the Dane. He'll eventually be regarded as the steal of the '13 draft, and the upshot of it will be the gutlessness of other orgs who passed on guys like he and Sale due to wrong-headed mechanics generalizations.

I trust that the org doesn't take Tyler in Round 2 if Coop doesn't give his blessing, and I trust Coop.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 06:10 PM)
Nah, I'm going all in on the Dane. He'll eventually be regarded as the steal of the '13 draft, and the upshot of it will be the gutlessness of other orgs who passed on guys like he and Sale due to wrong-headed mechanics generalizations.

I trust that the org doesn't take Tyler in Round 2 if Coop doesn't give his blessing, and I trust Coop.

I'm going to hope this is true because then I'll be able to say I was one of the first people to interview our next ace :)

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
I put together my own prospect list recently, based on a three-pronged, highly scientific, criteria of potential impact, combined with perceived likelihood of overcoming development issues and making it to the show, combined withy my excitement level in following their progress. It also contains a bias towards pitching, based on decades of horrible position player development. I'm putting EJohnson, Semien, Webb, Abreu and the Garcia's as non-prospects, expecting most or all of these to be on the opening day roster.

1. Danish

2. Beck

3. T. Anderson

4. M. Johnson

5. Hawkins

6. Tr. Thompson

7. Barnum

8. Bassitt

9. M. Adolfo

10. J. May

11. Snodgress

12. C. Sanchez

13. B. Ortiz

14. B. Jacobs

15. J. Olacio

16. J. Petricka

17. A. Lopez

18. A. Engel

19. S. Ayala

20. K. Hansen

21. M. Jaye

22. J. Cose

23. R. Ravelo

24. K. Walker

25. J. Mitchell (due to AFL performance ONLY), replaces Santos Rodriguez

Fundamentally, I believe that the SPEED TOOL will be soon be valued much greater than it is currently (will start a thread on this soon, I know you're happy for me), and dare I say that our frequently obtuse and dysfunctional org may actually be ahead of the curve in this regard. Thus, my "crazy high" placement of Micah, but don't let that stop you from flaming away.

Interesting.

By the way, all those guys you mentioned as non-prospects (EJohnson, etc.), are technically still prospects by definition, except Avisail Garcia.

The Top Ten

RHP Erik Johnson

SS Tim Anderson

RF Courtney Hawkins

RHP Chris Beck

RHP Tyler Danish

SS Marcus Semien

2B Carlos Sanchez

2B Micah Johnson

CF Trayce Thompson

RHP Francellis Montas

Are BP the same publication that surprised everyone by including Myles Jaye last year? Because if so, they appear to have done it again with Montas.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 11:00 AM)
These BP write-ups, IMO, are easily the best lists out there and are totally worth the 3 dollars or whatever you pay for monthly access, even if you just sign-up during prospect season.

This. I have an insider account and I don't really mind ripping their content (although I don't post it here). I have been a BP subscriber for 5 years now and it rules. It's only like $40 a year*. The writing it top notch and if you like the prospect stuff it's the best coverage out there.

*note: edited from month to year

Edited by Paint it Black

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
The Top Ten

RHP Erik Johnson

SS Tim Anderson

RF Courtney Hawkins

RHP Chris Beck

RHP Tyler Danish

SS Marcus Semien

2B Carlos Sanchez

2B Micah Johnson

CF Trayce Thompson

RHP Francellis Montas

Are BP the same publication that surprised everyone by including Myles Jaye last year? Because if so, they appear to have done it again with Montas.

Yes - BP has Jaye ranked last year http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=19444 This article is now free, I believe.