2. Courtney Hawkins

3. Jose Dariel Abreu

4. Marcus Semien

5. Chris Beck

6. Tim Anderson

7. Micah Johnson

8. Trayce Thompson

9. Scott Snodgress

10. Daniel Webb (they call him Danny, which I've never seen before)

11. Chris Bassitt

12. Tyler Danish

13. Andrew Mitchell

14. Carlos Sanchez

15. Adam Engel

Marc Hulet did the list for FG.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
Lists are lists, but #2 for Hawkins is pretty generous. He turns 20 today, btw.

Hopefully Hawkins goes back to Winston-Salem with a clean slate and he learns how to hit breaking pitches.

Looking at the article, I can't say this is one of those "rankings by guys who didn't take the time to learn our system" so it's clear the guy from Fangraphs still likes him a lot.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
Lists are lists, but #2 for Hawkins is pretty generous. He turns 20 today, btw.

Hopefully Hawkins goes back to Winston-Salem with a clean slate and he learns how to hit breaking pitches.

I'll point this out again... he can and does hit breaking pitches. His problem is timing and recognition. When he guesses breaker, he hits them very hard. I've seen this in person, and other times on video. He isn't a dead-red guy. IN fact he struggles with big heat too.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
I'll point this out again... he can and does hit breaking pitches. His problem is timing and recognition. When he guesses breaker, he hits them very hard. I've seen this in person, and other times on video. He isn't a dead-red guy. IN fact he struggles with big heat too.

Ok. I've just seen those clips where he's flailing at the hard breakers down and away.

Point is, he's not a hitter yet, and considering him #2 seems a stretch. But we'll see where he is a year from now. If it's the same season, he won't be on anybody's list.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)
Ok. I've just seen those clips where he's flailing at the hard breakers down and away.

Point is, he's not a hitter yet, and considering him #2 seems a stretch. But we'll see where he is a year from now. If it's the same season, he won't be on anybody's list.

Certainly if his 2014 is like his 2013, he drops well down the list to fringe status - but still a prospect. We'll see how it goes. I'd like them to keep him in extended ST next year to get extra focus work, then go to Kanny or W-S in like May or June.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)

Frank Thomas flailed at hard breaking balls down and away. Every player does.

I believe that Courtney Hawkins still has the highest overall ceiling of anybody in the Sox organization. It's hard to ignore that in a system so weak. There's depth there, but he's really the only prospect (not counting Abreu) who can be an impact type player.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
Craziest thing about this list is Abreu. I get that you can consider him a prospect, but if you do, how is he not #1?

I thought the same thing. He is technically a prospect, and I'm surprised anyone would put him anywhere but #1.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
I think Engel is going to be this year's big riser. I think this because the editor in chief of baseball America is really high on him.

I've seen a few scout types speak highly of his tools. He's definitely a guy to keep a close eye on.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
Something else noteworthy, no Brandon Jacobs.

I look at him as a superior prospect to say, Carlos Sanchez.

I don't. Sanchez was 20 when he started AAA last year - 20. After having gone three levels the year before. I think there is still a lot to like there. Jacobs has a higher ceiling, offensively. But Sanchez is much more likely to be a multi-year major leaguer, and a starter, than Jacobs is (IMO). And he plays premium positions.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
I like Sanchez, too. If he starts the season in Charlotte, which is likely, he should have a big year, making it a choice between Sanchez, Semien, Micah J, and Anderson for 2015. Love it.

Middle infield is becoming somewhat of a strength in the system now. But there is a severe lack of talent on the corner IF positions, and at C. And most of the OF prospects are high potential with high bust rate type guys, which is fine, but makes it unlikely you get more than 1 or 2 doing anything in the majors.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
Craziest thing about this list is Abreu. I get that you can consider him a prospect, but if you do, how is he not #1?

I thought the exact same thing, especially when you look at Courtney Hawkins rated higher. Take your bets right now as to who will contribute at the major league level more in the next 15 years, Abreu or Hawkins, and I think you'll see a pattern.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)
I thought the exact same thing, especially when you look at Courtney Hawkins rated higher. Take your bets right now as to who will contribute at the major league level more in the next 15 years, Abreu or Hawkins, and I think you'll see a pattern.

One of them has been described as possibly being the best hitter in the world.

The other is Courtney Hawkins.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)

You can't even use the "higher ceiling" argument. Abreu has to either be #1, or not on the list at all. Period, end of story.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 11:25 PM)
Why are you so sure Sanchez will have a big year in Carlotte? He played there last year and had an OPS of .589 over a full season.

Because of his age for starters. He was awfully young to go to Charlotte last season, plus he improved a lot in the last 6 weeks or so of the season. I don't have those splits in front of me, but that is my recollection. I just see a major improvement in him for 2014. I hope we see a lot of Sanchez and Micah Johnson at short and 2B next year at AAA.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 06:58 AM)
Because of his age for starters. He was awfully young to go to Charlotte last season, plus he improved a lot in the last 6 weeks or so of the season. I don't have those splits in front of me, but that is my recollection. I just see a major improvement in him for 2014. I hope we see a lot of Sanchez and Micah Johnson at short and 2B next year at AAA.

I'm fairly certain Micah Johnson will be starting 2013 in AA.

Its no secret that the farm system is one of the worst in all of baseball, but it is safe to say that the farm is on the way up with guys like Hawkins, Danish, Zapata, Anderson, etc. With this 3rd overall pick the 2014 draft is a big one for the White Sox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)

April .207/.309/.244

May .255/.294/.304

June .253/.308/.333

July .255/.291/.316

August .209/.227/.256

September .250/.250/.250

Fairly consistent splits during May/June/July and certainly no significant improvement over the last 6 weeks of the season.

Sanchez was essentially the same player in '13 as he was in '12. The only difference was in the BABIP. In 2012 his BABIP was .385 giving a triple slash of .323/.378/.403, in 2013 his BABIP was .290 giving a triple slash of .241/.293/.296. I don't see where any "major improvement" would come from.