Offseason Top Prospects lists

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
I for one think that scouting of minor leaguers has swung too far towards physical tools. I think we're missing out on good baseball players in some cases by doing that.

And before anyone launches into the obvious here, I'm aware of how all this works. Stats in the lower levels of the minors, for example, don't mean a lot. And obviously, some of the time at least, success in the minors may be an illusion.

That all said, when you have players who put up big numbers in the upper levels of the minors, I think scouting types are sometimes too quick to write them off based on things like a lack of a single, flashy plus tool, or the fact that a guy is say 24 vs 22/23. Not that those factors aren't relevant, because they very much are - but for some, those perceived tools have been allowed to crowd out performance nearly entirely. My personal view is, that trend will start to reverse itself in the next few years, a bit.

Actually I think the issue (at least with us) is overestimating our ability to encourage and develop mechanical changes in hitters now that I think about it. We can do these things with pitchers, but both at the MiLB & MLB level we can't seem to hold on to and then successfully implement any sort of real changes. Because of this we aren't clearing our margin of error, i.e. we'll say take Player A who needs X amount of work and we think we can pull it off which means the tools advantage that Player A has over Player B will translate into a better MLB player. But we've been too aggressive & have had too little results. We seem to be scaling back on our hitters a bit but still doing so without falling into the range of the offensive version of Broadway/McCulloch territory. At least I hope that's the case because we need ceiling but OTOH developing hitters hasn't exactly been a core competency of the organization.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
Actually I think the issue (at least with us) is overestimating our ability to encourage and develop mechanical changes in hitters now that I think about it. We can do these things with pitchers, but both at the MiLB & MLB level we can't seem to hold on to and then successfully implement any sort of real changes. Because of this we aren't clearing our margin of error, i.e. we'll say take Player A who needs X amount of work and we think we can pull it off which means the tools advantage that Player A has over Player B will translate into a better MLB player. But we've been too aggressive & have had too little results. We seem to be scaling back on our hitters a bit but still doing so without falling into the range of the offensive version of Broadway/McCulloch territory. At least I hope that's the case because we need ceiling but OTOH developing hitters hasn't exactly been a core competency of the organization.

I agree with you, but I think that is sort of a seperate subject.

I'll also say though, first, the org has a very different set of coaches now than they did a few years ago - so I am not sure you can say this problem with hitters will continue the same way. It might or might now. Also, I don't think you can just give up and say we can't develop them so let's draft pitchers - because you are then closing yourself off to HALF (at least) of what you need to develop to be successful. You have to keep trying, make more changes, and try again until you get it right.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
Jason Parks just said he's got the Sox as the #19 system in baseball.

They will probably be middle of the pack (#15th or so, maybe better) when they add up the #3 pick, plus the other draft selections the sox brass makes by the end of the year. A HUGE step from where this organization was just two years ago.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 07:05 AM)
Did he consider Abreu?

He did not consider Abreu. This is a conversation with Parks and I about the Sox system yesterday.

Jason Parks ‏@ProfessorParks 42m

I don't want to start a panic, but the #WhiteSox are #19 on my preliminary sketch of all farm systems. I'm sober. I promise.

Expand Reply Retweet Favorited More

Garrett Gajewski ‏@3G_Gajewski18 8m

@ProfessorParks who in the lower levels are you intrigued with?

Reply Delete Favorite More from River Forest, IL

Jason Parks ‏@ProfessorParks 5m

Anderson, Montas, Danish, May, Zapata. RT @3G_Gajewski18 @ProfessorParks who in the lower levels are you intrigued with?

Reply Retweeted Favorited More Expand

Garrett Gajewski ‏@3G_Gajewski18 3m

@ProfessorParks I definitely agree with you with them. What do you think of Hawkins, Barnum and Andrew Mitchell?

from River Forest, IL Reply Delete Favorite More

Jason Parks ‏@ProfessorParks 2m

@3G_Gajewski18 Mitchell has improved, I'm surprised to say. Hawkins will get better in 2014. Barnum might not. Bad profile. Power or bust.

Garrett Gajewski ‏@3G_Gajewski18 2m

@ProfessorParks Yeah, I still have some hope for Barnum because injuries has plagued him. Hahn has done a great job this off season & draft

Reply Delete Favorite More Expand

Jason Parks ‏@ProfessorParks 2m

@3G_Gajewski18 Agree. Hahn has been crushing it. Loved the Eaton pickup.

Expand Reply Retweet Favorited More

Garrett Gajewski ‏@3G_Gajewski18 20s

@ProfessorParks me too. What did you think the move for Davidson and signing of Abreu? And what you think of Rule 5 pick Adrian Nieto?

Jason Parks ‏@ProfessorParks 1m

@3G_Gajewski18 I'm not as high on Davidson, but power bats at 3B are valuable commodities.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
How many publications included Matsuzaka? All of them. Nevermind that Abreu is only 8.5 months older than Daisuke was when he debuted in the majors.

Some use a definition of having played professional ball at the highest level of whatever country they are in. Others use a standard that just includes MLB, much like the ROY definitions. I agree more with the first, though it is good to know which standard a ratings agency uses to see how they are looking at the Sox system.

Right, and some will use age too, they are all goofy to some extent. The point being not that it matters where the Sox end up on these lists but the sheer fact that they are bringing talented players into the system all over and that the talent level is improved. You win absolutely nothing for having the #1 minor league system, except maybe a plaque or something.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
Right, and some will use age too, they are all goofy to some extent. The point being not that it matters where the Sox end up on these lists but the sheer fact that they are bringing talented players into the system all over and that the talent level is improved. You win absolutely nothing for having the #1 minor league system, except maybe a plaque or something.

Talent is coming in, first and foremost. The Sox are probably the biggest beneficiaries of the changes of the Rule 4 draft and of the international signings. We are already seeing these changes trickle into the system. It won't happen overnight, but it is happening.