Offseason Top Prospects lists

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
This. I have an insider account and I don't really mind ripping their content (although I don't post it here). I have been a BP subscriber for 5 years now and it rules. It's only like $40 a month. The writing it top notch and if you like the prospect stuff it's the best coverage out there.

I hope the bolded part is a typo, because nothing seems cheap about that.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
The Top Ten

RHP Erik Johnson

SS Tim Anderson

RF Courtney Hawkins

RHP Chris Beck

RHP Tyler Danish

SS Marcus Semien

2B Carlos Sanchez

2B Micah Johnson

CF Trayce Thompson

RHP Francellis Montas

Are BP the same publication that surprised everyone by including Myles Jaye last year? Because if so, they appear to have done it again with Montas.

Montas is supposed to be a raw, big arm, correct?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
Yeah, Jason Parks (BP) referred to his fastball as a "mother****er" pitch.

Strengths: Near elite arm strength; during instructs, worked 93-98 with fastball; has touched triple-digits in the past; explosive offering; slider has improved; shows more depth without losing velocity; future plus pitch; despite loose stuff, can find the strike zone; athletic body with remaining projection.

Weaknesses: Delivery can get out of whack; more of thrower than a pitcher (at present); tendency to work up with fastball and lose movement; can run into hard contact; slider is inconsistent; changeup is underdeveloped; likely bullpen profile.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 03:40 PM)
System got some new respect. BP really likes Danish and Anderson ('13 draft was praised). I know Parks likes Leury quite a bit as well.

Really outside of a few picks I hated that draft class, I thought 2012 was a way better class.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
The Top Ten

RHP Erik Johnson

SS Tim Anderson

RF Courtney Hawkins

RHP Chris Beck

RHP Tyler Danish

SS Marcus Semien

2B Carlos Sanchez

2B Micah Johnson

CF Trayce Thompson

RHP Francellis Montas

Are BP the same publication that surprised everyone by including Myles Jaye last year? Because if so, they appear to have done it again with Montas.

Yeah, but if they were high on Myles Jaye BEFORE last year, why are they not high on him this year?

Also, surprised they have Semien so low. I figured him to be in everyone's top 3.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 09:03 PM)
Yeah, but if they were high on Myles Jaye BEFORE last year, why are they not high on him this year?

Also, surprised they have Semien so low. I figured him to be in everyone's top 3.

Kevin Goldstein was high on Myles Jaye. He now works for the Astros. This is a Jason Parks list.

• 1 month later...

BA Top 10 and top tools are out. I won't paste in the subscriber content, but the list and best tools are free, so here they are...

1. Jose Abreu, 1b

2. Erik Johnson, rhp

3. Tim Anderson, ss

4. Matt Davidson, 3b

5. Marcus Semien, 2b/3b

6. Micah Johnson, 2b

7. Courtney Hawkins, of

8. Trayce Thompson, of

9. Chris Beck, rhp

10. Jacob May, of

Best Hitter for Average Micah Johnson

Best Power Hitter Jose Abreu

Best Strike-Zone Discipline Marcus Semien

Fastest Baserunner Micah Johnson

Best Athlete Trayce Thompson

Best Fastball Daniel Webb

Best Curveball Scott Snodgress

Best Slider Erik Johnson

Best Changeup Chris Beck

Best Control Erik Johnson

Best Defensive Catcher Miguel Gonzalez

Best Defensive Infielder Cleuluis Rondon

Best Infield Arm Cleuluis Rondon

Best Defensive Outfielder Trayce Thompson

Best Outfield Arm Keenyn Walker

The article was written by John Manuel, so at least we don't have to deal with Phil Rogers' bizarro rankings anymore.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
Who is Cleuluis Rondon?

An SS/2B who has had some of the most absurd praise of his defense heaped on him that I have ever heard. Heard multiple scouts, a manager, a coach and others talk about his defense like the term plus-plus isn't good enough. I watched him play one game, only had one significantly difficult play to handle, and... he did it like he was sleep-walking. Like it was nothing.

Bat is highly questionable.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
An SS/2B who has had some of the most absurd praise of his defense heaped on him that I have ever heard. Heard multiple scouts, a manager, a coach and others talk about his defense like the term plus-plus isn't good enough. I watched him play one game, only had one significantly difficult play to handle, and... he did it like he was sleep-walking. Like it was nothing.

Bat is highly questionable.

What can be done for a prospect like this? He obviously has some good quickness and hand eye coordination if he is that good on defense. Is it a matter of finding the "right" hitting coach? Refining his technique , meaning making him more of a singles, walk, type of approach?

Not that I have any faith in the White Sox Hitting instructors, but it seems a waste of talent. If he could even hit .250 with a .320 OBP he would be very valuable.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
What can be done for a prospect like this? He obviously has some good quickness and hand eye coordination if he is that good on defense. Is it a matter of finding the "right" hitting coach? Refining his technique , meaning making him more of a singles, walk, type of approach?

Not that I have any faith in the White Sox Hitting instructors, but it seems a waste of talent. If he could even hit .250 with a .320 OBP he would be very valuable.

There is now a legend of Omar Vizquel talking to Jose Iglesias last year during the offseason and saying "don't practice fielding the entire time, pick up a heavy bat and swing it a thousand times per day". Iglesias then hit .303 on the season (with a .356 BABIP helping him).

Sometimes it's not just the coaching, it's the physical abilities.

I was able to get to the Chat with John Manuel did on the White Sox for Baseball America the last 20 minutes. I wish I was there from the start because he answered a bunch of my questions on players we don't hear too much about. Tried to get more info on Jason Coats, Sammy Ayala, Cody Winiarski, Euclides Leyer, and Kyle Hansen but cut the chat short. Check out the chat on Baseball America some good info on some of our prospects.

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
https://twitter.com/danish_Tyler7/status/420262165652963328

Another reason I don't like prospect lists.

Go to A ball> Perform.

Go to High A> Perform.

Go to AA> Perform.

Go to AAA> Perform.

Go to MLB> Perform.

BA, and others, completely missing boat on the Dane. Buncha foo's.

Likely have him pegged as a reliever due to funky motion. He WILL prove them wrong.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen