Offseason Top Prospects lists

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
Yeah I'm a Danish bull as well. I am sure they would have had him slotted 11-15ish but I would have had him ahead of May at least. Otherwise, I can't see him moving ahead of anyone else in the top 10 right now. Hopefully it lights a fire under his ass and he keeps working to get better.

Yep. Stay hungry TD. The performance/age-at-level will be un-ignorable by midseason and he'll skyrocket.

And his funky motion will make him the best righty runner-holder in the game - his delivery is so quick, he's virtually impossible to run on. This is an undervalued skill, but won't be for long as speed usurps power as the next-gen tool of choice.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 07:04 PM)
Is the chat free?

I checked BA and you need a subscription to view the chat. I'm a fan of Danish too and until proven otherwise he can still be a starter since he's only 18 for f***s sake! Way too early to tell IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
Who is Cleuluis Rondon?

As others have said, we got him in the Peavy deal. It was Avi, Rondon, Montas, and....Wendleken I think. From what I remember, the 3 minor leaguers we got all have 1 plus-plus tool. Rondon has his insane defense, Montas has an electric 100 MPH fastball, and Wendleken has....a great curveball maybe? Or maybe it's just that his name resembles former Cubs 3rd baseball coach Wendell Kim. Maybe that was it.

In the chat, they talk rather favorably on Danish and the guy definitely knows the Sox plan to start him. This year's writer (new editor-in-chief of the entire publication) really knows his s*** and did a great job. I'm guessing he won't cover us next year, but at least it won't be Phil Rogers

One thing mentioned in the chat was that Danish was in the top 10 at one point, which means he was probably #10 before we traded for Davidson. Danish at #11 is pretty reasonable ranking. Still surprised he wasn't ranked higher than May, but Manuel really gushed over May's tools (including his 80 speed) and admitted he was surprised by him after watching him play in the White Sox organization..

Another interesting note from the chat was Manuel explaining why Carlos Sanchez was dropped from the top 10. He basically said it wasn't that the fact that Sanchez struggled at AAA, but the reasons why he struggled. Apparently he gained some weight last year and lost his quickness. Manuel said Carlos wouldn't be able to play a decent SS in his current condition, which would hurt his chances of making the majors.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 11:13 PM)
In the chat, they talk rather favorably on Danish and the guy definitely knows the Sox plan to start him. This year's writer (new editor-in-chief of the entire publication) really knows his s*** and did a great job. I'm guessing he won't cover us next year, but at least it won't be Phil Rogers

Good to know. Still think they're underestimating him greatly.

But these lists are indeed irrelevant, cause if he's tearing it up as a starter as a just turned 19 y.o., opinions will change really, really fast. And for those whose opinions don't change, you'll KNOW it's due to injury fears, admitted or not. We'll all know soon enough.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 05:37 AM)
Another interesting note from the chat was Manuel explaining why Carlos Sanchez was dropped from the top 10. He basically said it wasn't that the fact that Sanchez struggled at AAA, but the reasons why he struggled. Apparently he gained some weight last year and lost his quickness. Manuel said Carlos wouldn't be able to play a decent SS in his current condition, which would hurt his chances of making the majors.

This is interesting, and disappointing. He's hit great in the VWL, but hasn't stolen many bags. I haven't heard any D reports, but the apparent extra weight hasn't created a power surge either.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
Good to know. Still think they're underestimating him greatly.

But these lists are indeed irrelevant, cause if he's tearing it up as a starter as a just turned 19 y.o., opinions will change really, really fast. And for those whose opinions don't change, you'll KNOW it's due to injury fears, admitted or not. We'll all know soon enough.

I do agree with giving a players level in the minors some weight. Danish just finished his first run at rookie ball, while the rest of the list is much further along their developmental arcs. Danish can easily move up that list if he pitches well as he moves up.

Sounds like Danish is going to use this as fuel to prove the naysayers wrong, I like that approach. 2014 will be a telling season for Danish and not to put too high of expectations on him I can see him ending the 14 season at AA. Maybe I'm just really high on him but I love what I've seen in videos as well as his attitude.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
I would be upset if that were the case.

He likely starts in Kanny and if he succeeds pull him up to W-S.

I wouldnt be upset at all. This is based on Tyler earning the promotion, not pushing him through the system.

Some guys ride a rocket to the majors. Huddy went through 4 or 5 levels in a single season and wasn't mishandled. Granted, he was 22, not 19. I trust that the org promotes their Ps appropriately, not so much their hitters.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)
Some guys ride a rocket to the majors. Huddy went through 4 or 5 levels in a single season and wasn't mishandled. Granted, he was 22, not 19. I trust that the org promotes their Ps appropriately, not so much their hitters.

I couldn't possibly fathom them pushing him that hard this year with everything they did to protect his arm last year.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 05:11 PM)

In the chat, Manuel actually said the Sox viewed Danish similar to Hudson and thought that he could move fast. He also said that Doug Laumann was so high on Danish that he would have been willing to select him I the first round. I think it's pretty clear that the Sox don't feel Danish is your average HS pitching prospect and that they won't be handling him with kid's gloves.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
And Semien at #2 is interesting.

While I don't agree with his #2 ranking, I do think he's being underrated by a lot people. The kid absolutely dominated AA in an age-appropriate season, while demonstrating incredible plate discipline. Maybe I'm wrong, but prospects that can show that kind of plate discipline at the higher levels typically fair better against major league pitching. Also, in terms of comps, he was better offensively than other top 100 prospects like Joc Pederson & Arismendy Alcantara. Unfortunately, John Maneul said in his Sox chat that Semien won't be cracking this year's list. It really bothers me that Baseball America believes there are 100+ prospects out there that are better than a 22 year old middle infielder that posted a .903 OPS & 167 wRC+ in AA.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
While I don't agree with his #2 ranking, I do think he's being underrated by a lot people. The kid absolutely dominated AA in an age-appropriate season, while demonstrating incredible plate discipline. Maybe I'm wrong, but prospects that can show that kind of plate discipline at the higher levels typically fair better against major league pitching. Also, in terms of comps, he was better offensively than other top 100 prospects like Joc Pederson & Arismendy Alcantara. Unfortunately, John Maneul said in his Sox chat that Semien won't be cracking this year's list. It really bothers me that Baseball America believes there are 100+ prospects out there that are better than a 22 year old middle infielder that posted a .903 OPS & 167 wRC+ in AA.

I do agree that his being on the cusp of MLB should be worth something in the rankings.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 6 Jan

They're close. I have Semien ahead in my rankings. RT @bigcardsfanphil how much of a gap do you see between Wong and Semien?

That's high praise considering that Wong is almost universally considered a top #100 prospect.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
With 30 pro innings, maybe Danish shouldn't care about one person's opinion about a meaningless list.

Go Kannapolis. Start 27 games, and earn the right to go to Winston-Salem in 2015.

There's your list.

How is him using that as motivation a bad thing?