Jason Castro

dayan024

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 10m

teams are showing significant interest in #astros catcher jason castro. but would they move him? http://cbsprt.co/16YW46U

Wonder if the Whitesox could be in on him does a beckham for castro trade make sense or a santiago for castro trade??

Castro >>>> Beckham

Santiago won't be enough because another team will offer more. Castro just had a hell of a breakout season, he'd be in high demand.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 10m

teams are showing significant interest in #astros catcher jason castro. but would they move him? http://cbsprt.co/16YW46U

Wonder if the Whitesox could be in on him does a beckham for castro trade make sense or a santiago for castro trade??

For Beckham?no lol and they have altuve at 2nd. Would be awesome if we could get him though

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:39 AM)
The catcher that I'd love for the sox to get is Yan Gomes but yea it's not going to happen.

Gomes is nice, but I'd much rather have Castro. I just don't see any reason for the Astros to move him and I don;t see any way where we'd come up with the best offer even if they did.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
Gomes is nice, but I'd much rather have Castro. I just don't see any reason for the Astros to move him and I don;t see any way where we'd come up with the best offer even if they did.

Yea , castro is good but I think I would rather have the sox sign salty (if they can at 10per) then have to trade pieces to get castro. Save those trade chips for a third baseman since there aren't any available through FA or CF

We can't afford to give up Quintana/Santiago + Beckham/DeAza/N. Jones + prospect.

Better to go with Dioner Navarro/Ruiz or someone of his ilk for two years...honestly, I would prefer to acquire Saltalamacchia and not give up a 2nd round draft pick than trade away 2 pieces of our core and and a tier B/C prospect.

If they could keep the price at $32 million/4 years, then I would do it. Anything above $35 million, I would allow another team to outbid me for him.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
We can't afford to give up Quintana/Santiago + Beckham/DeAza/N. Jones + prospect.

Better to go with Dioner Navarro/Ruiz or someone of his ilk for two years...honestly, I would prefer to acquire Saltalamacchia and not give up a 2nd round draft pick than trade away 2 pieces of our core and and a tier B/C prospect.

If they could keep the price at $32 million/4 years, then I would do it. Anything above $35 million, I would allow another team to outbid me for him.

With the number of teams with money and a need at catcher, I would be incredibly surprised if Saltalamacchia signed for less then $40 million

I have no problem trading Santiago+ for Castro.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
With the number of teams with money and a need at catcher, I would be incredibly surprised if Saltalamacchia signed for less then $40 million

I have no problem trading Santiago+ for Castro.

I'm not sure what package you could even come up with.

They don't need Beckham at all. DeAza could definitely be a starter for them, but it would be a little like the Cubs acquiring DeJesus, only to turn around and dump him...because they (Astros) need young/er players who will be part of their core going forward. I guess he could be a stopgap for a year or two for them, but then we would have a gaping hole in CF again.

If they asked for Santiago, N. Jones and Rienzo, that's probably about the best package we could come up with at the moment. We're not going to include Santiago AND Johnson in the same deal.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
I'm not sure what package you could even come up with.

They don't need Beckham at all. DeAza could definitely be a starter for them, but it would be a little like the Cubs acquiring DeJesus, only to turn around and dump him...because they (Astros) need young/er players who will be part of their core going forward. I guess he could be a stopgap for a year or two for them, but then we would have a gaping hole in CF again.

If they asked for Santiago, N. Jones and Rienzo, that's probably about the best package we could come up with at the moment. We're not going to include Santiago AND Johnson in the same deal.

You offer something like Santiago, Flowers, and Thompson/Petricka and let them decide. Castro is not a vital piece, but he is a nice piece. If you can get him within your restraints - which that deal definitely would be - you can go ahead and make the move. Otherwise, find another piece and be done with it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)
You offer something like Santiago, Flowers, and Thompson/Petricka and let them decide. Castro is not a vital piece, but he is a nice piece. If you can get him within your restraints - which that deal definitely would be - you can go ahead and make the move. Otherwise, find another piece and be done with it.

If I am the Astros, and I have a talented young catcher, in this environment where they are extremely hard to come by, there is nothing about that package that makes me even consider it.

I'd need to see at the very least, Quintana in that deal...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
If I am the Astros, and I have a talented young catcher, in this environment where they are extremely hard to come by, there is nothing about that package that makes me even consider it.

I'd need to see at the very least, Quintana in that deal...

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree completely with you. The Sox are just also at a point where they don't need to overpay to bring anybody in particular in. The Sox can wiggle a bit from that initial offer, but not a ton. I just don't see the Sox and Astros as good trading partners when it comes to these young, cost controlled, talented pieces.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 12:44 PM)
I'd be balls deep into trying to get Castro if he were available. Q would no doubt be the starting point and then you let it flow from there.

Max Stassi did just put up an .863 ops in AAA as a 22 year old. Astros could conceivable move to him were they to trade Castro.

I think you have to be real careful trading catchers that actually show they can hit in the majors. Tyler Flowers put up a .993 OPS as a 23 year old in AA, but it was in Birmingham, notoriously a pitcher's park.

It's going to take a ton to get Castro, if he's even available.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
Santiago + Phegley + Jaye or Beck would be about as high as I'd go.

I wouldn't even go this high. Again, Castro's a nice player, but what's really his peak? I personally think it's about what he put up this year, with him more likely to be a 2-3 WAR player. This is not a guy I am going to spend a ton on because right now, he's probably the difference between like 73 and 75 wins, and this isn't including the possibility that Flowers and/or Phegley come out and actually produce this year. I am willing to overlook Phegley's numbers to some extent as he was trying to learn the pitching staff, but I think he can be a relatively productive player too.

I like Castro, but I think my offer starts with Santiago and we can maybe work from there. If that's not enough, then that's fine.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
I wouldn't even go this high. Again, Castro's a nice player, but what's really his peak? I personally think it's about what he put up this year, with him more likely to be a 2-3 WAR player. This is not a guy I am going to spend a ton on because right now, he's probably the difference between like 73 and 75 wins, and this isn't including the possibility that Flowers and/or Phegley come out and actually produce this year. I am willing to overlook Phegley's numbers to some extent as he was trying to learn the pitching staff, but I think he can be a relatively productive player too.

I like Castro, but I think my offer starts with Santiago and we can maybe work from there. If that's not enough, then that's fine.

26 year old pre-arb ~3.5 WAR catcher! I say pay up. Solves such a huge problem for us for years without giving up a ton of money.

I am not sold on Castro enough to give up anything like that package. Santiago for him straight up, perhaps, more than that is iffy give he has had one good season.

I would rather have Dionar Navarro at this juncture because at least I know what I am getting and signing him doesn't deplete the roster at all.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
I am not sold on Castro enough to give up anything like that package. Santiago for him straight up, perhaps, more than that is iffy give he has had one good season.

I would rather have Dionar Navarro at this juncture because at least I know what I am getting and signing him doesn't deplete the roster at all.

He's only had one good season but it was his first full season. We need young upside, right? BABIP was high but not insanely high. 10% walk rate!

What makes Santiago more valuable? He's had one good season that had all kinds of signs of unsustainable success.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)
He's only had one good season but it was his first full season. We need young upside, right? BABIP was high but not insanely high. 10% walk rate!

What makes Santiago more valuable? He's had one good season that had all kinds of signs of unsustainable success.

I'm agreeing with this.

I love Hector, but unless Danks magically goes he's the odd man out between the four lefties in the rotation if we decide to trade one.

A young, left handed catcher that can hit and has good walk rate? I'll take it for Hector, Phegley and one more minor league piece.