Reinsdorf on Score....there's still money in the budget

caulfield12

The full interview's going to be played tomorrow morning (I think at 9) on the hour-long show.

Basically, the gist of it is that he doesn't like losing, doesn't want to go through another miserable season like 2013 and that Rick and KW have a fixed budget number for the coming year, but there's still room for another acquisition as long as it fits into both short and longer-term organizational plans.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
The full interview's going to be played tomorrow morning (I think at 9) on the hour-long show.

Basically, the gist of it is that he doesn't like losing, doesn't want to go through another miserable season like 2013 and that Rick and KW have a fixed budget number for the coming year, but there's still room for another acquisition as long as it fits into both short and longer-term organizational plans.

No doubt. It's a two way street for signing and trading players but trust me the Sox F.O. is in aggressive mode these days.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
No doubt. It's a two way street for signing and trading players but trust me the Sox F.O. is in aggressive mode these days.

And lets face it they just can't trade bad players for good players. It's a daunting task. Let's hope agressive has some positive results.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 07:20 PM)
In a market where Ervin Santana is worth $100 million, you would think Santiago would have value. Given our holes, I would be shocked if he's back.

What Ervin Santana and his agent wants, what he gets, and what he is worth are different things

I think we just need to get used to having a lower payroll. When KW was GM, he would put almost all available money into the MLB roster at the expense of draft spending and international spending. Now with Hahn as GM, who values the farm system much more, we are going to be spending the max allotment each and every year we can on the draft pool and international free agent pool.

I expect this approach will reap benefits major for our franchise. A stronger system means that you can have younger, cheaper talent on the roster. Essentially you can have the value of a $100 million payroll for $80 million.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 07:20 PM)
In a market where Ervin Santana is worth $100 million, you would think Santiago would have value. Given our holes, I would be shocked if he's back.

There is that school of thought or that Santiago should be kept because of his value relative to salary.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 08:12 AM)
I think we just need to get used to having a lower payroll. When KW was GM, he would put almost all available money into the MLB roster at the expense of draft spending and international spending. Now with Hahn as GM, who values the farm system much more, we are going to be spending the max allotment each and every year we can on the draft pool and international free agent pool.

I expect this approach will reap benefits major for our franchise. A stronger system means that you can have younger, cheaper talent on the roster. Essentially you can have the value of a $100 million payroll for $80 million.

Assuming they pick the right players.

I bet if you went through the Top 20-25 lists of 14-15-16 year olds in the Dominican or Venezuela from the past decade/s, there wouldn't be many who made it to the major leagues.

But sure, if they were signing the equivalents of Carlos Lee and Magglio...two home-grown Latin players every decade, they'd be doing quite well, supplemented with the Cubans and then a couple of Pacific Rim players like Iguchi and Takatsu.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
To sum up--

Konerko has earned the right to come back

Hawk deserves to be in the Hall of Fame

They'll spend money to reach a level of mediocrity because he has to watch the games.

Agree.

Agree.

I don't see why anyone would be opposed to the White Sox spending money to be average if they are still committed to their farm system. But White Sox fans find something wrong with everything. There has been several times the White Sox were expected to be average or worse and had fun seasons.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)

Of course, perhaps Kenny's greatest successes were in finding ways to maximize the value of what he put on the major league roster. Whether it was the entire 2005 team or Floyd or Quentin or Ramirez or Thome, he got players who outperformed the amount he was paying for them. Effectively his successful years he got the value of a $150 million payroll for $100 million.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 08:38 AM)
Agree.

Agree.

I don't see why anyone would be opposed to the White Sox spending money to be average if they are still committed to their farm system. But White Sox fans find something wrong with everything. There has been several times the White Sox were expected to be average or worse and had fun seasons.

The Sox don't have room for a 38-year-old who had a bad season for a 99-loss team. It's ridiculous this has dragged on this long. But if they can move Dunn and still have Konerko as a part time player, I'll take it just so I don't have to watch Dunn anymore.

Hawk? He's terrible, and getting worse. I hope he gets in the Hall so maybe he'll retire.

As far as getting to mediocre---we've seen how well that's worked over the last 5-6 years. No direct plan...just get some guys with track records and hope it all clicks...then it doesn't. The good news is I think Hahn is a pretty smart guy, and he'll be able to play both sides of a fielding a mediocre team for 2014 without sacrificing a rebuild for 2015 and 2016.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)
The Sox don't have room for a 38-year-old who had a bad season for a 99-loss team. It's ridiculous this has dragged on this long. But if they can move Dunn and still have Konerko as a part time player, I'll take it just so I don't have to watch Dunn anymore.

Hawk? He's terrible, and getting worse. I hope he gets in the Hall so maybe he'll retire.

As far as getting to mediocre---we've seen how well that's worked over the last 5-6 years. No direct plan...just get some guys with track records and hope it all clicks...then it doesn't. The good news is I think Hahn is a pretty smart guy, and he'll be able to play both sides of a fielding a mediocre team for 2014 without sacrificing a rebuild for 2015 and 2016.

When you say the Sox have no room, ask yourself whose spot is he taking.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
When you say the Sox have no room, ask yourself whose spot is he taking.

Point is, if they're bringing back Konerko only because his name is Paul Konerko, that's no way to run a team. But from a selfish standpoint, if they find a way to move Dunn out of town and keep PK as a part time player, then deal. If Abreu, Dunn, and Konerko are all on the team, it's really dumb.

Or we're basically admitting that we have NOBODY in our minor league system we want to give those at-bats to, so, just because of 2005, we're going to gift Paulie a final farewell tour/contract year and give him 150-200 at-bats against mostly LH starters and as a PH and occasional defensive replacement...well, also because Jerry wants to watch Paulie rather than Dan Wilkins or Black or whoever.

Of course, none of this is helping us prepare for 2015 in any way.

It also flies in the face of the "it's always better to let a player go one year too early, rather than one year too late" theory/philosophy.

Now that I think about it, I'd give those ab's to Leury Garcia to see if he can hit at the big league level, even though he's far from a prototypical DH candidate.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
Point is, if they're bringing back Konerko only because his name is Paul Konerko, that's no way to run a team. But from a selfish standpoint, if they find a way to move Dunn out of town and keep PK as a part time player, then deal. If Abreu, Dunn, and Konerko are all on the team, it's really dumb.

Having a reputation as a player friendly organization DOES have a place. There is a pretty good chance that is what kept Paul Konerko and Mark Buehrle from fleeing to greener pastures during their prime years for example. Especially in Buehrle's case, they paid no where near what other teams would have paid to get him. If it means taking a 38 year old Konerko for a year on a team that has no chance anyway, I am fine with that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
Having a reputation as a player friendly organization DOES have a place. There is a pretty good chance that is what kept Paul Konerko and Mark Buehrle from fleeing to greener pastures during their prime years for example. Especially in Buehrle's case, they paid no where near what other teams would have paid to get him. If it means taking a 38 year old Konerko for a year on a team that has no chance anyway, I am fine with that.

Dye wanted to stay until the Rios acquisition....Bobby Jenks seems like he really wanted to stay and felt comfortable, Thome, before he was pushed out by Ozzie.

Of course, on the other hand, players can get TOO comfortable. Being TOO loyal has a price, as well.

If MLB teams were run like NFL squads with a "what have you done for me lately?" attitude and players really were forced to fight and struggle for their survival on the roster on a yearly basis, then things would be quite different.

What's that saying about motivation? You have to be feared or loved, but you can't have both very easily as a coach/manager or GM.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)

But...having a record as a team with multiple 90 loss seasons in a row really hurts in keeping players/attracting new players as well. A single 90 loss team has put us in a spot where guys who might look for short term deals with competitive teams to take a last shot at a playoff run are poor fits for us.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
But...having a record as a team with multiple 90 loss seasons in a row really hurts in keeping players/attracting new players as well. A single 90 loss team has put us in a spot where guys who might look for short term deals with competitive teams to take a last shot at a playoff run are poor fits for us.

Paul Konerko is not the difference between someone coming here or not this year. That is just silly.

I have no idea what this means in a Dan Hayes article on CSN .

With the way the roster is currently constructed, Hahn estimates the White Sox payroll sits around $80 million after accounting for arbitration raises and Jose Abreu’s $68 million contract.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/hahn-w...maneuver-roster