Sox acquire Adam Eaton from ARZ, deal Santiago, Jacobs

Baron

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)
The Angels tried to land Santiago from the White Sox in talks for Howie Kendrick, tweets Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times, but they're now focused on getting him as part of this three-team deal.

Maybe we can get Kendrick as well?? Hmm

/wrench-thrown

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can see from reason a few scouting reports the past few minutes is the only thing holding people back on calling this guy a top prospect is his build and body. We see how that turned out for one Dustin Pedroia and his giant chip on his shoulder. I like this if Ricky pulls it off. With of without an add on.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)
The Angels tried to land Santiago from the White Sox in talks for Howie Kendrick, tweets Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times, but they're now focused on getting him as part of this three-team deal.

Maybe we can get Kendrick as well?? Hmm

I've always thought that Kendrick would be attractive to the Sox, but not so sure now with the pipeline filled with 2B.

But if this 3-way goes down, I wouldn't be surprised if it were more than Santiago going out and Eaton coming in.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
From what I can see from reason a few scouting reports the past few minutes is the only thing holding people back on calling this guy a top prospect is his build and body. We see how that turned out for one Dustin Pedroia and his giant chip on his shoulder. I like this if Ricky pulls it off. With of without an add on.

I agree. Santiago is serviceable, but to say his outings are workmanlike is being kind. His ceiling is a 4-5 starter and we've seen it. When he is spotting his fastball well, he gets lit up.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
I've always thought that Kendrick would be attractive to the Sox, but not so sure now with the pipeline filled with 2B.

But if this 3-way goes down, I wouldn't be surprised if it were more than Santiago going out and Eaton coming in.

Yeah I am sure Hahn and Williams are trying to get more out of it if they can..

Eaton didn't do anything well last year. In fact, UZR hated his defense when he only played 60 games.

Last season certainly isn't encouraging, but if you told me we could get Eaton last year for Santiago, I would have been pretty happy about it.

I think we should get more than Eaton for Santiago.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
Eaton didn't do anything well last year. In fact, UZR hated his defense when he only played 60 games.

Last season certainly isn't encouraging, but if you told me we could get Eaton last year for Santiago, I would have been pretty happy about it.

I think we should get more than Eaton for Santiago.

I think he had a nagging injury last year didn't he?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)

He got hurt early in the year and he didn't look like the same guy from 2012 afterwards. Very discouraging IMO. Especially for a speed guy like him.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)

Yea he avoided Tommy John though:

It’s been a tough start to the 2013 season for Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Adam Eaton.

The highly touted young star was diagnosed with a small tear in the ulnar collateral ligament of his throwing elbow in March, shutting him down for nearly two months. He had recently began playing the outfield again during a rehab stint, but discomfort in the same elbow forced a shut down and suggestions of Tommy John surgery were being whispered.

Thankfully though, an MRI conducted this morning revealed no structural damage, which avoids any significant setback.

Still, it’s going to be a few more weeks at minimum for Eaton to return as Steve Gilbert says doctors suggest he go throw a multi-week throwing program:

#Dbacks announce that Adam Eaton’s MRI did not show structural damage, just irritation. 2-3 weeks of strengthening then throwing program.

Consider it a major bullet dodged for both Eaton and the Diamondbacks who were potentially facing a season ending injury and one that most likely would have lingered into next season as well.

Eaton, who appeared in 22 games for the Diamondbacks last season, was expected to be their leadoff hitter prior to the injury. He ranked as the 73rd best prospect in the Major League’s prior to the 2013 season.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
FWIW, UZR is not very helpful over a 60 game span. Borderline useless, really.

When it's -11.2 in 66 games, it's pretty telling. DRS also disliked him at -5.

It doesn't mean he's never going to be a good outfielder again, it's a red flag though.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
When it's -11.2 in 66 games, it's pretty telling. DRS also disliked him at -5.

It doesn't mean he's never going to be a good outfielder again, it's a red flag though.

He's played in 88 total MLB games in which half he was coming back from injury. I don't think it fair to judge him by stats alone.

It depends on to what extent they shut him down. Still, I think some of that can be chalked up to rust.

I want to see what he does next year. -11 UZR is bad, but that's a huge outfield and, as I said, if he were rusty and not getting good reads on balls for 2 months, it can affect your UZR a great deal