Scott Downs signing official, Santos Rodriguez DFA'd

southsider2k5

WHITE SOX AGREE TO TERMS WITH LEFT-HANDER SCOTT DOWNS

January 2, 2014 at 1:01pm

CHICAGO - The Chicago White Sox and left-handed reliever Scott Downs have agreed to terms on a one-year, $4-million contract, which includes a club option for 2015. Under terms of the agreement, Downs will receive $3.75 million in 2014, while the White Sox hold a $4.25-million option for 2015 with a $250,000 buyout.

Downs, 37, combined to go 4-4 with a 2.49 ERA (12 ER/43.1 IP), 37 strikeouts and 26 holds in 68 appearances last season between Los Angeles-AL and Atlanta. He tied for 10th in the major leagues in holds.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Downs was 2-3 with a 1.84 ERA (6 ER/29.1 IP) and 18 holds in 43 games with the Angels before being traded to the Braves on July 29, where he went 2-1 with a 3.86 ERA (6 ER/14.0 IP), 15 strikeouts and eight holds in 25 games.

"Downs provides us with some balance to our bullpen and another veteran arm for Robin to call upon late in games," said Rick Hahn, White Sox senior vice president/general manager. "Scott's impact will not only be felt on the field, but given his makeup and leadership skills it will be felt in the clubhouse and bullpen as well."

Downs has gone 38-36 with a 3.48 ERA (276 ER/713.1 IP), 550 strikeouts and 166 holds in 564 games (50 starts) over 12 major-league seasons with the Cubs (2000), Montreal (2000, '03-04), Toronto (2005-10), the Angels (2011-13) and Braves (2013). Among active left-handers, he ranks second in holds and fifth in appearances.

Over the past seven seasons (2007-13), Downs has recorded a 2.33 ERA (98 ER/379.1 IP) with a major-league best 160 holds while limiting left-handers to a .204 (123-603) average. During that span, he has posted at least 24 holds six times and has not allowed more than four home runs in a season.

Downs registered a career-best 1.34 ERA with Los Angeles in 2011 and a 1.78 mark with the Blue Jays in 2008.

He originally was selected by the Cubs in the third round of the 1997 First-Year Player Draft.

To make room for Downs on the 40-man roster, the White Sox designated left-hander Santos Rodriguez for assignment. With the moves, the Sox 40-man roster is at 40.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
Wow. I thought Santos was one of these "upside" guys with upper-90s stuff.

Maybe Sox now move on to signing O'flaherty?? He's a ground ball guy with a very high LOB% *shrug*

It would be nice to get him. And I thought Molina or Heath would go before he did. Oh well I guess.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
It would be nice to get him. And I thought Molina or Heath would go before he did. Oh well I guess.

I am wondering if they will outright him off the roster if/after he clears waivers or release him.

His BB/9 was scary bad at AAA last year.

Have the Sox cut ties with Jon Gilmore yet? If so, that would leave Flowers as the lone remnant of the Vazquez trade.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
I am wondering if they will outright him off the roster if/after he clears waivers or release him.

His BB/9 was scary bad at AAA last year.

Have the Sox cut ties with Jon Gilmore yet? If so, that would leave Flowers as the lone remnant of the Vazquez trade.

Jon Gilmore was seemingly out of professional baseball last year.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
Would have rather seen Heath or Molina gone before Rodriguez. But ideally none of them are there soon enough.

Yeah I figured we'd keep Santos ahead of those guys, due to left-handedness and the dearth of that in the system. Bolded may have been kept for more ego related reasons.

The diminishing return from the Javy trade diminishes. Sigh.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)
Yeah I figured we'd keep Santos ahead of those guys, due to left-handedness and the dearth of that in the system. Bolded may have been kept for more ego related reasons.

The diminishing return from the Javy trade diminishes. Sigh.

Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes he eats you.

The guys they got back didn't return a great deal, but Lillibridge gave us a fun season and was part of the package used to acquire Youkilis, Flowers is still with the organization and seems like a decent back up catcher at the very least, and until Rodriguez is gone, he's not gone from the organization - I don't believe he has enough service time to refuse an assignment and choose free agency.

Compare it to the Swisher trades and you'll start feeling a lot better.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 07:25 AM)
Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes he eats you.

The guys they got back didn't return a great deal, but Lillibridge gave us a fun season and was part of the package used to acquire Youkilis, Flowers is still with the organization and seems like a decent back up catcher at the very least, and until Rodriguez is gone, he's not gone from the organization - I don't believe he has enough service time to refuse an assignment and choose free agency.

Compare it to the Swisher trades and you'll start feeling a lot better.

I do hope Santos sticks around. Wasted too much time following the dude.

I was never that excited about the return for Javy, except for the one good year TFlow had in B'Ham, nor was I sad to see him go. Stinks that we never get any real value back at all when it's obvious we're trying to unload a player, though. The pending return, or lack thereof, for ADA will be a nice little test for Hahn.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 07:51 PM)
I do hope Santos sticks around. Wasted too much time following the dude.

I was never that excited about the return for Javy, except for the one good year TFlow had in B'Ham, nor was I sad to see him go. Stinks that we never get any real value back at all when it's obvious we're trying to unload a player, though. The pending return, or lack thereof, for ADA will be a nice little test for Hahn.

Agreed, followed him a lot, as a number of others stated, wish we should have DFA'd Heath.