Astros C Jason Castro

GGajewski18

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like some people forget that offense was only 1 of 2 of the White Sox problem last year. The other problem was putrid defense. If you could have a Ron Karkovice behind the plate, you're saving a bunch of runs right there. I'd gladly take someone with Karko's defensive ability behind the plate in 2014.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
I wonder if we could have gotten Castro for Addison Reed? Just wondering. Does anyone here know if Hahn shopped Reed at all, or did he quickly close on the deal when Davidson was made available?

I'm guessing the Astros weren't in the market of trading their breakout catcher for a closer.

Thought I would add this, as it touches a little better on my concerns regarding the acquisition of Castro:

Castro just screams regression. Let’s start with his batting average. He hit .276 last year despite striking out 26.5% of the time. Of the 1,509 qualified hitters in the last decade, only 61 have had a K% of 26.5% or higher. Only four of those hitters hit .276 or better, and the average batting average of the group was .242. Castro managed the high batting average because of a .351 BABIP. To be fair, Castro has a 25.2% line drive rate in just over 1000 plate appearances, so he’s likely to continue to have an above average BABIP. He should be able to keep his batting average from killing you as a result, but every projection system expects it to drop to some degree. His power may also regress. His HR/FB rate of 16.5% would have been top 30 in the league had he qualified. Again, that was helped by good contact from Castro as he ranked 57th in average home run and fly ball distance. But it’s also likely that number regresses a bit even if it should stay above average.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/the-astro...is-interesting/