Spring Training 2014

justBLAZE

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep seeing the bucket list comment. Please, if you love the White Sox and baseball to be an active message board poster, get yourself to spring training. If not now or next year, when?

It's been (I hear) the worst winter in 30+ years. Take some time off, book a flight to AZ, and come check out baseball paradise on earth. With the temps and weather we've been having (90+ this weekend), it's looking like the warmest nicest spring training in recent memory.

Get out of the artic cold, come out for some warm weather and baseball. It'll be worth it. Wanne and I have laid out a map of what to do and not to do to help you plan it and with all the advice you've got from other Sox fans who have done it in the past in this thread alone, you can make it happen.

Stay warm.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 12:52 AM)
Stay away from Jack in the Box, El Pollo Loco, In and Out Burger, and Del Taco unless you have easy and immediate bathroom access.

Do NOT go to Tuscon.

Oh, and most importantly : Avoid Dodger fans, they are drunk, drugged out, gang/cartel members who will cause you problems if you give them attention.

1. I can see why you don't like the fast food places you mentioned but I doubt the average person will have that extreme a body reaction to the food.

2. Why don't you like Tucson? I've been there a time or two, find it beautiful and accommodating and we are considering relocating there some day.

3. A sub culture of Dodger fans are dangerous indeed. They can take extreme offense to your rooting against their team. You can get a savage beating or worse.

It's unfortunate because most Dodger fans are no better or worse than any other team's fans. I consider a game at Dodger Stadium a treat. Spend the money on the better seats

would be my advice.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
1. I can see why you don't like the fast food places you mentioned but I doubt the average person will have that extreme a body reaction to the food.

2. Why don't you like Tucson? I've been there a time or two, find it beautiful and accommodating and we are considering relocating there some day.

3. A sub culture of Dodger fans are dangerous indeed. They can take extreme offense to your rooting against their team. You can get a savage beating or worse.

It's unfortunate because most Dodger fans are no better or worse than any other team's fans. I consider a game at Dodger Stadium a treat. Spend the money on the better seats

would be my advice.

1) If you want to go against that advice, feel free. It's not me who's going to be having issues in situations with no bathrooms. Feel free to regret these decisions and find out the hard way.

2) Tucson has a few nice areas, but in general is not safe or a growing area. There are much better areas to relocate to, in AZ or elsewhere, but again, someone's trash is someone's treasure.

3) It's never about the average fan. It's about the extremists, like in anything in life, and they have some of the worst. They are the official team of all gangs basically, so wearing the LA logo or cheering against LA is often seen by enough by intoxicated extreme LA fans to make your day worse. Just a heads up. Don't poke the hornet's nest.

My agency has an office in Tuscon, so I visit there about a week every year. It's like any other medium size city in that it has nice areas, average areas, and bad areas. You just have to learn where those areas are and don't go there at the wrong time of day.

The Chicago White Sox, Comcast SportsNet, WGN-TV and WSCR-AM 670 The Score have announced the team’s 2014 spring training broadcast schedule.

The White Sox will have 10 Cactus League games televised from Arizona (nine on Comcast SportsNet and one on WGN), and seven additional webcasts of spring training games free on whitesox.com. WSCR-AM, the club’s flagship radio station, will air nine games (including three interactive broadcasts).

Comcast SportsNet’s first spring training broadcast is scheduled for Friday, March 14 at 3:05 p.m. CDT when the White Sox face Cleveland at Camelback Ranch – Glendale (CBR). CSN will air the Sox-Cubs game at CBR on Friday, March 21. Along with airing seven home games, CSN will broadcast games at Colorado (Scottsdale) on March 23 and at Seattle (Peoria) on March 24. WGN will close out the spring broadcast schedule on Thursday, March 27 when the White Sox play the Cubs in Mesa at 2:05 p.m. CDT.

Ken “Hawk” Harrelson and Steve Stone will work all 10 television games in their sixth season together as the White Sox broadcast team. Harrelson is set to begin his 30th season as the television voice of the White Sox, while Stone enters his sixth year in the Sox television booth.

WSCR-AM broadcasts the first of its nine games on Friday, February 28 at 2:05 p.m. CST when the White Sox open Cactus League play vs. the Los Angeles Dodgers in Glendale. WSCR-AM features the on-air tandem of Ed Farmer and Darrin Jackson. Three of the nine game broadcasts (March 2, 8 and 16) feature an “interactive” format, allowing listeners to interact with Farmer, Jackson, and pre and post-game host Chris Rongey during the broadcast.

In addition to television and radio broadcasts, the White Sox will present webcasts of seven spring training games, in their entirety, at whitesox.com. The spring training webcasts begin on February 28 vs. the Dodgers and are available free to all fans with internet access. Russ Langer will serve as the play-by-play announcer for all seven webcasts.

Additional information regarding spring training broadcasts and tickets at CBR can be found at whitesox.com/spring.

Little Hurt you wanna pay for garbage why don't you become a cubs fan? Those places are disgusting and if you think otherwise you obviously haven't had them any time recently. My credibility is just fine, so much for helping out w advice...

Back to baseball talk, pitchers and catchers are ready to rock I'll be out there Monday.

Edited by rowand's rowdies

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)

would be my advice.

1. Not sure why anyone would come all the way out here to partake in fast food anyway...but oh well. It's fast food...all fast food is meh. My fave fast foot out here tho is Freddy's Steaksburgers!...they're good how Steak N Shake used to be (sans chili).

2. The only thing I don't like about Tucson are how ASU and UofA fans go back and forth. Some SERIOUS bitterness between the two cities/schools. As for the city itself...it beats El Paso, TX...I will give it that. Some very beautiful parts of it and surrounding desert.

3. I think the whole Dodge thing is a little overdramatic...we're in Glendale...not East LA...and it's spring traing. It's fine...nothing to see there.

Still can't believe how ridiculously nice it's been out here...up to 87º today and around 80 for another whole week. I need to find out the practice schedule...should have just got up and headed out there this morning. I did see there a weekend college series going on out at Camelback Ranch this weekend...NIU Huskies vs Minnesota.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
I am jealous of anyone going to Spring Training.

I live 3 miles away and I find it to be one of the least comfortable stadiums. You need lots of sunscreen since there is hardly any shade and being out in the sun really drains you. The nicer stadiums are in Surprize.

I would not recommend anyone staying in downtown Phoenix unless you want to got to other places. There are plenty of places off the 101 where there is less traffic hassles.

The nice thing about Camelback is it is very hassle free driving. The stop lights in AZ are annoying.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
1. Not sure why anyone would come all the way out here to partake in fast food anyway...but oh well. It's fast food...all fast food is meh. My fave fast foot out here tho is Freddy's Steaksburgers!...they're good how Steak N Shake used to be (sans chili).

2. The only thing I don't like about Tucson are how ASU and UofA fans go back and forth. Some SERIOUS bitterness between the two cities/schools. As for the city itself...it beats El Paso, TX...I will give it that. Some very beautiful parts of it and surrounding desert.

3. I think the whole Dodge thing is a little overdramatic...we're in Glendale...not East LA...and it's spring traing. It's fine...nothing to see there.

Still can't believe how ridiculously nice it's been out here...up to 87º today and around 80 for another whole week. I need to find out the practice schedule...should have just got up and headed out there this morning. I did see there a weekend college series going on out at Camelback Ranch this weekend...NIU Huskies vs Minnesota.

I find most of the non fast food places back in IL are superior. You could get lunch in Chinatown for $3. I'm still looking for that hole in the wall, that you wonder if it passes a health inspection, more than affordable Mexican carryout place in the south Peoria area. The best torta came out of Chicago Heights and then there was Tony's football size burritos in Joliet. There are no tenderloins or walleye dinners out here either. I wish there was a Chicago Bread & Dough Co. out here. Killer lunch pizza buffets there.

Hard liquor is real cheap out here.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
I find most of the non fast food places back in IL are superior. You could get lunch in Chinatown for $3. I'm still looking for that hole in the wall, that you wonder if it passes a health inspection, more than affordable Mexican carryout place in the south Peoria area. The best torta came out of Chicago Heights and then there was Tony's football size burritos in Joliet. There are no tenderloins or walleye dinners out here either. I wish there was a Chicago Bread & Dough Co. out here. Killer lunch pizza buffets there.

Hard liquor is real cheap out here.

Not sure where you live kite...but for Walleye check out a place called Taylor Chowder House. I little tucked away hole in the wall place off of 35th Ave and Thunderbird. Most of the times I've been there they've had Walleye as a special. Their chowder rocks...and fried shrimp and fish is really good too. If you're ever in Pinetop go to a place Charlie Clarks...pan-fried walleye.

http://www.taylorschowder.net/

As for mexican hole in the wall places...a little drive thru on grand and 83rd ave area has always been good to me. I've found most hole in the wall mexican places have been pretty decent (but like you said...iffy on health inspection). My favorite Mexican place to eat on this side of town is up by Peoria Sports Complex...it's called Abuello's. It's OUTSTANDING!!!!!....you won't be disappointed!

http://www.abuelos.com/

I've lived in NYC and Seattle for most of my adult life (the last decade), and I've been to Phoenix twice. Phoenix isn't any great shakes compared to cities like those, but it's also hardly a dump.

I'll be there from the 26th through March 2nd. I have tickets to the opener against the Dodgers. Staying at a cheap hotel the 1st night in Phoenix ($40 hotwire special) then staying with a friend in Tempe for the remaining few days. First time doing a Sox spring training for me, although I've been to Florida a couple of times with my college team training when it was going on, this will be totally different as I'm going completely as a fan.

Won't post my email or contact info here but if anyone wants to meetup for a beer or three send me a PM. Very much looking forward to getting a first look at Abrue, Davidson, Eaton, etc. I'll also be climbing Camelback (did it before when I was in PHX, liked it a lot) when I'm there so if any of you are into hiking lemme know, it's a bit of an ass kicker at the end but short enough to where you can take breaks and still get up rather quickly. Very sweet view at the top.

Looking forward to the 80's and sun, although it's been a very mild winter here in Seattle, you can only take so many cloudy 50 degree days. (Sorry Chicagoites, I'm sure that sounds pretty good compared to your winter, but hey, mild climate ftw).