The Next Wave - White Sox prospects to watch outside the T25

NorthSideSox72

We did this last offseason and it seemed pretty popular, so, here we go again. But we're splitting it into two this year, as there are simply more names worth mentioning than there were last year.

Here is a review with small capsules of a dozen or so White Sox position player prospects who missed the Top 25, but are worth watching in 2014.

We'll publish the pitcher version in a few days.

Any favorites among these? Anyone we should have included and didn't?

I think the pitchers are going to be far more intriguing. I've always loved Dan Black, but he might only be a .250/.350/.375 player in the majors, and at 1B, there just isn't much value in that. I think Wilkins' tools translate better, but I personally think it seems like a Ross Gload upside is his best case scenario.

DeMichele showed some power in Australia just recently, so that's nice, but I don't have a lot of hope for him.

Legitimately, I think the most interesting name on this list is Jared Mitchell because of the AFL performance. I think he gets this year to prove something though or he's done.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
I think the pitchers are going to be far more intriguing. I've always loved Dan Black, but he might only be a .250/.350/.375 player in the majors, and at 1B, there just isn't much value in that. I think Wilkins' tools translate better, but I personally think it seems like a Ross Gload upside is his best case scenario.

DeMichele showed some power in Australia just recently, so that's nice, but I don't have a lot of hope for him.

Legitimately, I think the most interesting name on this list is Jared Mitchell because of the AFL performance. I think he gets this year to prove something though or he's done.

I don't see the Ross Gload comps for Dan Black, they are very different hitters. Black draws a lot walks, Gload never did. Black has a little more power. Gload was a much better contact hitter and line drive guy, and better defensively at 1B, plus could fill in the OF as a backup.

Mitchell probably has the highest ceiling of anyone on that list.

I'm already writing up the pitchers, and there are more of them than position players, about 16 of them. Lots of interesting arms.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
I don't see the Ross Gload comps for Dan Black, they are very different hitters. Black draws a lot walks, Gload never did. Black has a little more power. Gload was a much better contact hitter and line drive guy, and better defensively at 1B, plus could fill in the OF as a backup.

Mitchell probably has the highest ceiling of anyone on that list.

I'm already writing up the pitchers, and there are more of them than position players, about 16 of them. Lots of interesting arms.

Sorry, that Ross Gload for Andy Wilkins. Dan Black seems more like Jack Cust (without the power) or Daric Barton (without the defense).

Also, I haven't been this excited for Jared Mitchell since the year after he was drafted. Not that I necessarily buy what he did in the AFL, but I'm hoping that last year was sort of an eye opening experience for him and that a switch was flipped. Frankly, if he can even put up De Aza's numbers at the MLB level, it would be an incredible victory for the Sox at this point.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Sorry, that Ross Gload for Andy Wilkins. Dan Black seems more like Jack Cust (without the power) or Daric Barton (without the defense).

OK, that makes more sense. Wilkins does have more power than Gload did though, and strikes out more. But that is a closer comp. I was sort of puzzled when I thought you were talking about Black.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)

Also, I haven't been this excited for Jared Mitchell since the year after he was drafted. Not that I necessarily buy what he did in the AFL, but I'm hoping that last year was sort of an eye opening experience for him and that a switch was flipped. Frankly, if he can even put up De Aza's numbers at the MLB level, it would be an incredible victory for the Sox at this point.

Getting Jared Mitchell to push back to his ceiling would be a huge shot in the arm for the Sox farm system.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)

Would love to see JMitch as 4th OF in 2015. Last chance, as you say.

As a teaser for the article, in case you are still debating reading it, the players we covered for this one are:

IF's Joey DeMichele, Andy Wilkins, Cleuluis Rondon, Dan Black, Christian Stringer

OF's Jared Mitchell, Keenyn Walker, Jason Coats

C's Adrien Nieto, Kevan Smith, Miguel Gonzalez, Sammy Ayala

So if you want to read up on any of them, this article is for you.

Butch Wynegar was an all star catcher right out of the box. Nieto has a much lower bar to stick, and I bet he does. * Phegley back to AAA.

I'm bullish, or maybe just hopeful, on Mitchell. He was also very raw for a college player when we drafted him. Longer development time doesn't surprise me.

Also interested in that SS we got in the Peavy trade.

*Reasons:

1)It's not a huge stretch to think he'll hit as well as Flowers or Phegley

2)The Sox are system-thin at catcher and he has the most potential as best I can tell.

3)Nats front office is notoriously difficult to deal with, making a trade problematic and likely unequal.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
Rondon really intrigues me.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
Butch Wynegar was an all star catcher right out of the box. Nieto has a much lower bar to stick, and I bet he does. * Phegley back to AAA.

I'm bullish, or maybe just hopeful, on Mitchell. He was also very raw for a college player when we drafted him. Longer development time doesn't surprise me.

Also interested in that SS we got in the Peavy trade.

*Reasons:

1)It's not a huge stretch to think he'll hit as well as Flowers or Phegley

2)The Sox are system-thin at catcher and he has the most potential as best I can tell.

3)Nats front office is notoriously difficult to deal with, making a trade problematic and likely unequal.

You should have heard the guys I talked with in Kanny talk about Rondon. A scout, the team manager, their PR/radio guy and a coach all said things about his defense that were amazing. Tommy Thompson, the manager for Kanny last year (moves up to WS this year) said he had never seen a better defender in his time coaching and managing in the minors ever. I myself only saw one significant play, but he made a play most 2B's can't even attempt look like he could have done it in his sleep.

I don't agree on Nieto being likely to stick, but I certainly agree the Sox were desperate for catching talent.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
You should have heard the guys I talked with in Kanny talk about Rondon. A scout, the team manager, their PR/radio guy and a coach all said things about his defense that were amazing. Tommy Thompson, the manager for Kanny last year (moves up to WS this year) said he had never seen a better defender in his time coaching and managing in the minors ever. I myself only saw one significant play, but he made a play most 2B's can't even attempt look like he could have done it in his sleep.

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like Iglesias, except that .200 in A ball might translate to .100 in the majors if he can't develop the bat.

Now if they do work out a trade for Nieto, they'll still have to keep him on the 40 man after the season so that he doesn't get Rule fived from them, right?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
Thanks for the insight. Sounds like Iglesias, except that .200 in A ball might translate to .100 in the majors if he can't develop the bat.

Now if they do work out a trade for Nieto, they'll still have to keep him on the 40 man after the season so that he doesn't get Rule fived from them, right?

Correct.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
If Jared Mitchell becomes useful on the major league level, that would be one of the greatest comebacks from totally sucking of all time. If he wasn't a first round pick, he would probably be sitting next to Jake from State Farm right now.

I think the major injury bought him a little time as well. It is a very difficult injury to come back from that early in your career due to the loss of development time.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)

I hope this is the scenario. Keeping him on the 40 man isn't too much of a chore with doorstops like Nestor and Heath still in tow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 06:18 PM)
He is already on the 40 man roster.

Well there you are. :)

Keeping him on the 25 man, however, is kind of a "punt" for this season, imo, and I don't think that's the org's style, be it under KW or RH.

So what do you think the Nats will want in trade?

My favorites:

Braulio Ortiz - Really had a strong last couple months last year.

Brandon Brennan - Comming back from TJ.

Thaddius Lowry - Young LHP who has some good potential. Will he start in Kannapolis?

Brad Goldberg - We'll probably see him in AAA by the end of the season if he does well like last year.

Kevin Vance - I'll be interested if he can manage his control better.

One name that I'm interested in that you didn't name is JB Wendelken (we acquired in Peavy trade). He had a pretty good year with Winston Salem last year, still young, and I think he can be a good bullpen option too.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Feb 1, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
I can't help but think if it was that easy (or their intention) to trade for Nieto instead of keeping him on the 25-man roster, they would have just traded for him and picked somebody else in the Rule 5.

This has been brought up before, but you have to consider a few things here. #1, they likely knew very little about him as they had just a bit of time from the end of the World Series until the 40-man add deadline and had a lot to get done in their preparations (re-signings, coach evaluations, coach hirings, free agent plans) that they simply don't have the time to acquire a guy like that. I am a little more uncertain of the rules here, but had they traded for him after the 40-man add, they could very easily be subjecting him to the Rule 5 draft, so they'd trade for him and then he's suddenly exposed again, which means if a team takes him, they are out whatever they gave up and now don't have Nieto.

A lot of times, teams will just offer the player back because they have incomplete information on said player and find out they have a JAG (or worse), but teams will take these guys on a flyer to see if they can work out their problems on the MLB roster. It's certainly very possible Nieto runs the course of Angel Sanchez last year and he doesn't do anything and is eventually released. They may see something they like but don't feel he is ready for the majors, like, at all. They may see enough and keep him. What we do know is that the Nats must not be that high on him or else they would have added him to the 40-man (because Jhonathon Solano sure as hell isn't holding him back).