Ukraine

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
That doesn't matter. She went out of her way to make a very dubious connection between the Koch brothers and that foundation, without mentioning that it is the same level of connection her employer has. If the Koch brothers are evil because of it, so is her employer and all the other companies that have the same level of connection.

Which of course, I can't investigate because you can't be bothered to provide a few links to back up the statement, even to the original on-air piece.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious but what the hell do Republicans expect Obama to do with Ukraine? Bomb someone? Escalate violence? I see all these Republicans felating Putin as a real leader but Obama as a limp wristed turd.

I really don't get what the Republicans want Obama to do here.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
I'm curious but what the hell do Republicans expect Obama to do with Ukraine? Bomb someone? Escalate violence? I see all these Republicans felating Putin as a real leader but Obama as a limp wristed turd.

They would like him to fail in such a way that it leaves a political environment that resembles the post-Bush one

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
They would like him to fail in such a way that it leaves a political environment that resembles the post-Bush one

And this is what's wrong about the political system in the US. You are not wrong, but it's sad that Republicans want the leader of the country to fail so they can have some sort of quasi-celebration saying "We told you so, we're right, you're wrong!" so that a Republican official can be elected President only to have the Democrats go through the same charade.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
And this is what's wrong about the political system in the US. You are not wrong, but it's sad that Republicans want the leader of the country to fail so they can have some sort of quasi-celebration saying "We told you so, we're right, you're wrong!" so that a Republican official can be elected President only to have the Democrats go through the same charade.

Politics are a giant circle jerk. The older I get the more I realize it's a giant ruse by both sides. They just try to sabotage each other without any regard for the people who elected them.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
Politics are a giant circle jerk. The older I get the more I realize it's a giant ruse by both sides. They just try to sabotage each other without any regard for the people who elected them.

I feel the same. On the local level, it's typically much better and much less corrupt - obviously, depending upon where you live (because saying that on a Chicago board is hilarious) - and I feel you can both get your message across and get more done for the people that will actually matter and be affected by the decision.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
I feel the same. On the local level, it's typically much better and much less corrupt - obviously, depending upon where you live (because saying that on a Chicago board is hilarious) - and I feel you can both get your message across and get more done for the people that will actually matter and be affected by the decision.

Honestly I feel that local politics is more corrupt. There is more of a trust built in because "I know that guy". There are also a lot less prying eyes. Smalltown press is dependent on the politicians for advertising and stories, so they can't burn those bridges.

Some of the crap I have seen happen at the local level is just amazing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
Honestly I feel that local politics is more corrupt. There is more of a trust built in because "I know that guy". There are also a lot less prying eyes. Smalltown press is dependent on the politicians for advertising and stories, so they can't burn those bridges.

Some of the crap I have seen happen at the local level is just amazing.

I agree. And even feel that way for Chicago. Most of the corruption you see is on the Alderman level, where it's harder to keep track.

Start exporting natural gas to Europe to reduce their energy dependency on Russia.

Freeze assets (which I believe he has done)

Trade sanctions (but only if the EU goes along, otherwise it's pointless)

But the natural gas thing is the best thing he can do.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
Start exporting natural gas to Europe to reduce their energy dependency on Russia.

Freeze assets (which I believe he has done)

Trade sanctions (but only if the EU goes along, otherwise it's pointless)

But the natural gas thing is the best thing he can do.

People can say what they want to say, but it was the collapse of the prices of the Soviet Union's main exports that led to their downfall. No reason that the same thing today wouldn't hurt them majorly.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
What is odd is that not even Russia really wants to set this precedent. If they allow Crimea to just secede, then what stops part of China from voting itself a new country or part of Russia...

Russia itself has plenty of conquered territory who doesn't want to be in Russia.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
That is why I said or part of Russia... implying that if part of Russia says it wants to be independent and has a vote, would Putin recognize it?

One can only ascertain that Putin is going to allow Chechnya to vote on breaking away?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 06:55 PM)
That is why I said or part of Russia... implying that if part of Russia says it wants to be independent and has a vote, would Putin recognize it?

Ah, what you wrote reads more like what if part of China votes to be independent or votes to be part of Russia

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)

After it became evident that this was going to end with Crimea belonging to Russia, I began thinking what great theater it would be if suddenly a pack of Ukrainians living within Russia's borders decided to pull a similar stunt of their own. I get the feeling that Putin would quickly drop this passive "only looking out for the best interests of Russians within another country's borders" act.

If that happened, though, things would probably get real in a hurry.

I think a lot of politicians have altruistic aspects to them, especially as you move up the foodchain. They realize that there is a game you have to play to make a difference and figure it's better that they play it than the bad guys. They do some bulls*** with hopes of being viewed fondly by history and taking care of pet issues that mean a lot to them. The problem is your "ugh, I can't believe I just did that" threshold bumps up slowly, over decades. First, it's hiring your buddy's son/daughter/mistress/whatever. Before long, you're trumping up evidence for war