ST: 3/15 vs Dodgers

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 11:00 PM)
Good god Abreu, he's going to kill someone this year.

Even before that comebacker, I've had that same thought this spring training. His bat is so live.

I hope we don't see a pitcher carried off on a stretcher this year.

---

On Hawk Harrelson...he makes me not want to watch White Sox baseball. And Steve Stone is a pompous ass.

It's going to be a better day when the Sox have new TV and Radio broadcasters. When Darrin Jackson is the best of the four by a wide margin, there's something wrong.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 05:22 AM)
Even before that comebacker, I've had that same thought this spring training. His bat is so live.

I hope we don't see a pitcher carried off on a stretcher this year.

"Slider speed", lol - buncha foo's

In fairness, scouts are asked to judge these Cubans on really small samples.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
Hawk is Hawk so you either hate him or love and while I agree that Stone is pompous, Stone is till very good at his job, he has a very strong baseball acumen.

I have to disagree that "Hawk is Hawk". The thing is, he's worse now than ever before. He talks about his playing career from 45-50 years ago more now than ever, and it just isn't interesting. Everything that comes out of his mouth is "the best" this or "the greatest" that. He's annoying. The catch phrases are fine, but he's bad at calling a game, and he has no chemistry with Stone.

Stone would be palatable with a different PBP guy, but with Hawk, all I hear is his whiny voice, which I never liked when he was with the Cubs. And he's not as smart as he thinks he is.

I'd rather have a younger PBP voice that didn't play, and a former player doing color that at least played in the last 20-30 years. Really, I just want broadcasters that do a solid job, and stay out of the way of the action on the field. Hawk gets in the way of enjoying the game.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
I'd rather have a younger PBP voice that didn't play, and a former player doing color that at least played in the last 20-30 years. Really, I just want broadcasters that do a solid job, and stay out of the way of the action on the field. Hawk gets in the way of enjoying the game.

AJP is a couple years from retirement. I think I'd like him as a color guy. Maybe we should just go with a "great voice" at PBP, regardless of baseball knowledge, kinda like Dwayne Staats. I could listen to Dennis Haysbert or Sam Elliott all day. :P

Hawk has a terrific voice, but like you say, the other stuff...

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 05:51 PM)
I feel like I should hate Hawk but I can't. He's been the one mainstay in White Sox baseball in my entire life besides the ownership. As a very competitive person who takes White Sox baseball very seriously on game day, I enjoy having Hawk because he is one of the only people as excited as I am.

I like Hawk as well. And Stone, also. I'm telling you guys, at least they have something to say. These Royals announcers, except for Denny Matthews who is outnumbered by lousy broadcasters, do nothing but praise KC's team and try to sell tickets.

If Butler comes to bat ... "Wouldn't it be nice if he got hold of one and hit a home run, it'd be his third of the season?"

Or "Konerko hits into a lot of double plays; that's in order right now. Wouldn't it be nice if Chen gets the double play?"

I'm telling you, announcers are supposed to back the team nowadays and what you get is some pretty bad announcers. Hawk is Hawk. I'll take him any day.