Would you trade Alexei to the Tigers?

caulfield12

And what would you expect in return?

With Jose Iglesias expected to miss at least half and possibly the entire 2014 season...

We could probably predict they will go after Stephen Drew now as a stopgap.

Eugenio Suarez (22) is the only other SS on their roster, and Hernan Perez hasn't played SS in the minors for about 4-5 years, so it seems they would logically be looking outside the organization for help.

Obviously, they're not going to give up Castellanos. Just to get that idea out of the way.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-top-10...detroit-tigers/

The obvious players we would target would be LHP Robbie Ray (came off from Nationals for Fister) and RHP Jake Thompson, who are their best starting pitcher candidates, looking like 3/4 guys down the road...the Tigers actually have a very similar farm system to ours, although Castellanos profiles as a better top prospect than Erik Johnson.

They also have a lot of bullpen arms, guys like Crawford and Knebel and of course Rondon...other than that, the most interesting names are catcher James McCann and 1B/DH/LF/RF type Steven Moya, who's their best young power hitter...but that's like saying Andy Wilkins is ours (well, it's still probably Barnum or Hawkins, I guess).

If we want to add another version of Courtney Hawkins/Mitchell/Walker/Thompson, there's Daniel Fields...lots of similarities between those 2 guys.

Edited by caulfield12

James McCann is a pretty good catching prospect

Daniel Fields is a OF prospect with an intriguing blend of power and speed

Corey Knebel was a great closer for University of Texas drafted in 2013 who is just about MLB ready

Robbie Ray is a lefty with high strikeout stuff and near ready

Those are the prospects that stand out in their system to me that are realistic targets

Yeah Ray probably isn't happening if the Tigers really like him as much as they say they do.

But the Sox should be thinking about 2016+ really, maybe with a shot at a WC slot in 2015 should things go exceptionally well. There shouldn't be any issues there.

That said, the DBacks want a young C and will trade Gregorius/Owings. Seems a natural fit. Also Drew is still out there. I think this would be pretty unrealistic.

Also Franklin is still out there. Lots of non-Sox options.

I wouldn't have a problem trading Ramirez to the tigers, don't know what to realistically expect in return tho. I doubt the tigers would be interested in Ramirez since he's signed through 2015 and they are high on Iglesias who's still young.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 08:57 PM)
Yeah Ray probably isn't happening if the Tigers really like him as much as they say they do.

But the Sox should be thinking about 2016+ really, maybe with a shot at a WC slot in 2015 should things go exceptionally well. There shouldn't be any issues there.

That said, the DBacks want a young C and will trade Gregorius/Owings. Seems a natural fit. Also Drew is still out there. I think this would be pretty unrealistic.

Also Franklin is still out there. Lots of non-Sox options.

I don't think they're going to be willing to trust SS to Franklin with a rookie debuting at 3B and Kinsler not exactly a defensive wizard at 2B.

They're unlikely to experiment in "win now/all in" mode.

Drew, Ramirez or possibly Gregorious are the best options, assuming that Gregorious is available.

That said, McCann is far from a sure thing...no way the DBacks would trade both those guys, maybe just Owings.

The Tigers also don't have a sure thing in LF, just Jackson and Hunter as their OF. It would have to be a much bigger package than McCann. They'd have to include Ray, at least.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)
I wouldn't have a problem trading Ramirez to the tigers, don't know what to realistically expect in return tho. I doubt the tigers would be interested in Ramirez since he's signed through 2015 and they are high on Iglesias who's still young.

They might still end up moving Castellanos back to LF, and Iglesias can play 3B.

That said, they would much rather have Igelesias at SS and Castellanos productive at 3B rather than in the outfield. And Iglesias offensively doesn't profile well as a corner.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 11:47 PM)
Does Detroit have any up and coming catcher prospects?

James McCann. Fangraphs listed him as the Tiger's #6 prospect, BA did not have him ranked in top 10. He seems to be a defense-first type catcher who can be a league-average hitting catcher in the majors according to FG.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 08:45 PM)
Yeah, and Stephen Drew will be an upgrade over Iglesias. I don't get all the hype around Iglesias. He is more Didi Gregorious, and less Andrelton Simmons. Dude has no bat.

They got some other piece from Boston, right, not just Iglesias?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 09:38 PM)
They also have a lot of bullpen arms, guys like Crawford and Knebel and of course Rondon...other than that, the most interesting names are catcher James McCann and 1B/DH/LF/RF type Steven Moya, who's their best young power hitter...but that's like saying Andy Wilkins is ours (well, it's still probably Barnum or Hawkins, I guess).

For sure don't trade for bullpen arms. That's an utter waste of a trading piece.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 12:32 AM)
They got some other piece from Boston, right, not just Iglesias?
Nope.

Actually, they sent another piece to Boston - a relief pitcher.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
I'm with you here. I think Hahn and the front office are in a good place with Alexei. He's a great defender and known with the fan base. Having him as a stop gap gives them more time to gauge the progress with the middle infield prospects (Semien primarily, Sanchez and Johnson to an extent). Best case he hits at the bottom of the order and gets his power stroke back. Come June or July you have an awesome defensive shortstop and whatever he has at the plate is supplementary.

I guess you could say the same with Beckham. See where he is at in June or July and go from there.

Even though we probably will not make the playoffs this year, I think we will have a fun season. We already have an influx of young talent and some pieces that will at the least have us very active in July. Hopefully Abreu, Eaton and Erik Johnson shine and we are a lot closer to competing in 2015. Very excited about this team, much more than last year. Can't wait until the 31st!

I see a better fit with a team like the Yankees, who actually good trade us a future starting catcher, and other pieces.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
I see a better fit with a team like the Yankees, who actually good trade us a future starting catcher, and other pieces.

Hypothetically we are once again out of the hunt come July 31st. This will likely be the case pending some unforeseen career breakout season by multiple players on this roster. Who will likely be first to be dealt- Ramirez, Viciedo or Beckham? I think one of them will for sure be traded. My money is on Alexei.

I agree with southsider2k5, I believe there are multiple fits in regards to trading scenarios with New York. JR Murphy for Alexei? With Gary Sanchez waiting in the wings, I can see them pulling off a deal like this.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)
This is bad news for Sox fans. Iglesias is a bad baseball player and Detroit will almost certainly fill the position with somebody better

Why wouldn't they have filled that position with someone better to begin with, then?

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 11:42 PM)
Why wouldn't they have filled that position with someone better to begin with, then?

Because they're morons who saw a guy with a MiLB career that makes Leury Garcia look like Hank Aaron start off his MLB career with a hot run and assumed the latter was more relevant than the former. And, of course, he's a great fielder. He'll be a well-traveled utility player one day ... think Rey Ordonez as ceiling