Tyler Flowers is your 2014 starting catcher

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 07:41 PM)
There's no salary cap in MLB, but other than that small fact you are all over it.

There is no salary cap, but there are revenue limitations. Other than that massive fact, and your choices of players, your rebuild would be going flawlessly right about now.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 07:16 PM)
Wouldn't signing Santana after missing out on Tanaka be taking half-measures? I know you'll say he's better than Paulino, but he does offer an intriguing upside if Coop can get him to harness his stuff. It's entirely possibly that Coop thinks Paulino could be better than Santana. If that's the case it makes sense to see what you have in him while also seeing how guys like Beck and Bassit develop.

Probably. I just don't see how they are going to get from where they are now to a championship with Chris Sale if they are not serious players in the free agent market going forward. Waiting on Beck and Bassit only devalues Sale. If they are fortunate with the draft this year that could fill a rotation hole, but I still think they're going to have to spend big on a couple free agents and their history shows they likely aren't going to do that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 07:45 PM)
There is no salary cap, but there are revenue limitations. Other than that massive fact, and your choices of players, your rebuild would be going flawlessly right about now.

Why are there revenue limitations? Is there a law I'm not aware of?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)
This ownership has publicly tried for 30 years now, but they always come back to taking half-measures for the problems they have.

Isn't this a quote from the Revolutionary War, The Rock or Vigilance from Person of Interest?

Maximus: The time for honouring yourself will soon be at an end. [bows his head] ... Maximus: The time for half measures and talk is over, Senator. Gracchus

OR Winston Churchill.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 07:54 PM)
How did you get that $220M payroll.

$90 million

Hamilton $17 million

Grienke $26 million

Tanaka $20 million bid win + $22 million

Santana $14 million

McCann $18 million

Just off of the top of my head, from some of Marty's greatest hits.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
$90 million

Hamilton $17 million

Grienke $26 million

Tanaka $20 million bid win + $22 million

Santana $14 million

McCann $18 million

Just off of the top of my head, from some of Marty's greatest hits.

You were on a better track with your revenue limitation laws.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
In your world, no. In reality, yes.

I would rather hear the marketing ideas that are not simply a result of bringing in this superstar talent across the board...

Rather than rehashing Santana, Garza, Jimenez and Paulino over and over again.

Just for entertainment's sake. Along with some Ayn Rand thrown in.

Let's not forget BJ Upton, too.

He has to be somewhere in the outfield. Probably right next to Lillian's Grady Sizemore and Hamilton.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)
Yeah, bringing up your player track record hits too close to home.

Today has been quite enlightening.

This is ALMOST as bad as the Iowa Hawkeye message boards where everyone's mad at Steve Alford for winning NCAA tourney games, mad that Iowa State still won despite Niang's injury, mad that fifth year players like DeAndre Kane can transfer, mad that Creighton is almost in Iowa and gets to the NCAA's every year, mad at Fred Hoiberg for being a great recruiter, mad that Wisconsin used to be a Big 10 doormat but is now automatic for every NCAA, still mad at Jason Bohannon, mad at Bob Bowlsby, Roy Williams, etc.

The White Sox boards are almost a relief from that insanity, because it's assured we'll see a comforting return to the same argument over and over again without so many vexing subplots.

Minions? Has a certain someone who shall not be named actually seen Despicable Me? Or just sitting behind his keyboard like Megamind thinking of posters on the board as his henchmen, lol?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 08:34 PM)
This just in. Baseball now has a luxury tax...

Since 2003!

Just saying in case someone here isn't aware. :o

Good one Roostifer. Now compare the NBA and MLB caps. Rushing to others defense as often as you do, you're well on your way to becoming a minion.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 07:53 PM)
Probably. I just don't see how they are going to get from where they are now to a championship with Chris Sale if they are not serious players in the free agent market going forward. Waiting on Beck and Bassit only devalues Sale. If they are fortunate with the draft this year that could fill a rotation hole, but I still think they're going to have to spend big on a couple free agents and their history shows they likely aren't going to do that.

To me, they were trying to be serious players in FA. Again, if reports are true they tried to get the top catcher on the market, arguably the top pitcher on the market, and they landed a guy who very well could end up being the best bat on the market. I imagine next year they will once again be players for the top tier FAs yet again, esp. considering they'll have 15m+ coming off the payroll.

There's a good chance Beck emerges next year, we're not talking a 2-3 year wait here.

I, personally, am really intrigued/excited by the direction they're heading. It was never gonna be a 1 year rebuild, a team as bad as they were last year is not gonna turn it around by signing mid tier guys like Santana. Just because they targeted major league ready prospects doesn't mean they have to go for it right now, that's being a bit short sighted. As is thinking we should trade Sale if they don't plan on competing this year .

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 08:39 PM)
Good one Roostifer. Now compare the NBA and MLB caps. Rushing to others defense as often as you do, you're well on your way to becoming a minion.

And the NBA has what to do with baseball? Oh that's right, nothing!

Nobody here needs me to rush to their defense. I just don't see eye to eye with you on , well, anything really. You change topics left and right in an effort to run and hide from a topic of conversation that you've been proven to be wrong or shown that you're making no sense.

Kind of funny how its always you against everyone else so is everyone else the problem or maybe, just maybe, could it be you? Always looking to play the oh woe is me victim. Sad.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 08:56 PM)

Nobody here needs me to rush to their defense. I just don't see eye to eye with you on , well, anything really. You change topics left and right in an effort to run and hide from a topic of conversation that you've been proven to be wrong or shown that you're making no sense.

Kind of funny how its always you against everyone else so is everyone else the problem or maybe, just maybe, could it be you? Always looking to play the oh woe is me victim. Sad.

I don't run and hide. I said Andy Wilkins had a .350 obp last year and was jumped on. I often have multiple posters to respond to and with the nature of my disability I can't spit out several paragraph rebuttals just too tiring. I have to pick my spots. If that's 'woe is me' I make no apologies for it.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 08:51 PM)
To me, they were trying to be serious players in FA. Again, if reports are true they tried to get the top catcher on the market, arguably the top pitcher on the market, and they landed a guy who very well could end up being the best bat on the market. I imagine next year they will once again be players for the top tier FAs yet again, esp. considering they'll have 15m+ coming off the payroll.

There's a good chance Beck emerges next year, we're not talking a 2-3 year wait here.

I, personally, am really intrigued/excited by the direction they're heading. It was never gonna be a 1 year rebuild, a team as bad as they were last year is not gonna turn it around by signing mid tier guys like Santana. Just because they targeted major league ready prospects doesn't mean they have to go for it right now, that's being a bit short sighted. As is thinking we should trade Sale if they don't plan on competing this year .

I thought we'd be further along quite honestly. It all came to a halt after the Davidson trade. If nothing else I figured they would've rid themselves of Dunn by now. It's frustrating at how long it takes this organization to fix fixable problems. Eat the money and give those AB's to someone who may have a future.o

I think it's going to be difficult to put together the rotation quickly enough internally to maximize Sale's value. Maybe Beck and Bassit can be used to trade for an established starter. I think they'll have to make a decision to keep or deal Sale by offseason of 2015.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)

The idea that Andy Wilkins will be the everyday DH for the White Sox is pretty much preposterous.

This is where minor league statistics are just ONE tool in analyzing a prospect.

Theoretically, he could be part of a platoon, but that's like arguing that Conor Gillaspie and Tyler Flowers are surefire everyday players and will be on the White Sox roster in 2016 and 2017 when they're really attempting to compete with the rest of the AL Central.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 10:27 PM)
I thought we'd be further along quite honestly. It all came to a halt after the Davidson trade. If nothing else I figured they would've rid themselves of Dunn by now. It's frustrating at how long it takes this organization to fix fixable problems. Eat the money and give those AB's to someone who may have a future.o

I think it's going to be difficult to put together the rotation quickly enough internally to maximize Sale's value. Maybe Beck and Bassit can be used to trade for an established starter. I think they'll have to make a decision to keep or deal Sale by offseason of 2015.

I think they're about where I expected them to be. I expected an improvement at the catchers position but past that everything I wanted them to do they did. I thought a table setter and a middle of the line up bat would be the 2 most important acquisitions of the off season and they got that.

I've been somewhat of a Dunn supporter for the last 2 years, I think his bat has it's place in the lineup. We saw 2 years ago that the Sox can indeed compete with him in the lineup. Injuries bit both he and PK down the stretch and it really killed them. If 1 or both stayed healthy they more than likely make the playoffs.....The closer we get to the trade deadline the more value he gets. A few years ago Mark Reynolds got the DBacks a guy who has saved a few games for em.

They won't fix all of the rotation internally, but I don't see them signing mid tier guys for big money who might end up being on par with what they already have internally. Much like this season when they went after Tanaka I can certainly see them going after a top guy next year.

Only way I see them trading Sale is if Garcia/Eaton/Abreu/Davidson all prove to be busts which would make them much further away than I thought.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 11:16 PM)
The idea that Andy Wilkins will be the everyday DH for the White Sox is pretty much preposterous.

This is where minor league statistics are just ONE tool in analyzing a prospect.

Theoretically, he could be part of a platoon, but that's like arguing that Conor Gillaspie and Tyler Flowers are surefire everyday players and will be on the White Sox roster in 2016 and 2017 when they're really attempting to compete with the rest of the AL Central.

Wilkins hit LHP better than RHP last year, FWIW.

Look, people in the MiLB forum know I'm a big fan of Andy Wilkins. He has no business on the big league club. He might become a big league player, but he has lots to prove in AAA before he gets there.

And why would we need to entirely depend on Beck/Bassitt/Rienzo/Danish when we're about to pick a polished collegiate pitcher at #3 who would you have at least a shot at pitching in the 2nd half of 2014?

That's one of the biggest arguments out there for not sinking money into Santana/Jimenez.