Tyler Flowers is your 2014 starting catcher

LittleHurt05

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 06:00 AM)
Looks like you have to be a subscriber to read the article so I'm screwed. But from the headline, this was expected. 1 last run of the flower power.(hopefully)

I added a new link to the original post. I'm not a subscriber either, but I am able to read it if I go through Buster Olney's link.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 08:02 AM)
I'd actually be just fine with a .956 OPS out of him

I made an error, something many White Sox are quite familar with.

.231/.286/.385 His OPS is .670 on the spring.

From Hahn's comments during his conference call last week, the leash isn't going to be very long for Flowers or Phegley. If they fail again, and no long term solution can be reasonably targeted and acquired, they will go to short term stopgaps.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 07:14 AM)

From Hahn's comments during his conference call last week, the leash isn't going to be very long for Flowers or Phegley. If they fail again, and no long term solution can be reasonably targeted and acquired, they will go to short term stopgaps.

Still love what Hahn is doing, many of the posters would run either one out of town only to bring in equaly inadequate replacement.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)
Still love what Hahn is doing, many of the posters would run either one out of town only to bring in equaly inadequate replacement.

Hahn said you don't get many second chances and both are getting them this year. They either take it and go with it or become Jake at State Farm.

I'd be just as excited had Nieto or Phegley or Kevan Smith been named the starting catcher. At least this option makes the most sense because Phegley has options & it's Tyler's last shot. At least you're weeding out one of these guys with his move. Hopefully Nieto breaks as the backup because Gimenez is completely unnecessary.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)

Yeah, I think the fact is that C is still a hole for us. They tried to fill it but didn't get it done. So we'll see

I'd imagine Nieto is very, very long shot for the backup spot. It seems the question would be whether they want Phegley to get everyday at bats in Charlotte or see what he can do spelling Flowers once every fifth game or so.

EDIT: Admittedly I have a soft spot for Phegley because we were at Indiana at the same time. But he has taken a year to adjust to every level so far, and I hope that would continue one last time for the bigs. We shall see.

Edited by farmteam

Flowers' first 317 PAs in the bigs were .205/.307/.388. Then last year happened..he was hurt and things were awful.

But if you get that first guy again, then basically you have garden variety defensive catcher and garden variety catcher on offense. Making low salary. That is fine by me. We'd have other places to improve if that .700 OPS guy comes back.

Other teams tend to pay guys a whole lot more money to get, what, .730 OPS with garden variety catching? Leaguewide someone point me to the stockpiles of fantastic catchers.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
Hahn said you don't get many second chances and both are getting them this year. They either take it and go with it or become Jake at State Farm.

You said it all. From what I can tell, at least Flowers is pretty good throwing out runners, isn't he? So he deserves the first shot. If by late May he's under .200 or something ridiculous, it's Phegs time. Hope Flowers doesn't mind cold weather since he's the first to get the call in a season where he's on life support so to speak.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
I'd imagine Nieto is very, very long shot for the backup spot. It seems the question would be whether they want Phegley to get everyday at bats in Charlotte or see what he can do spelling Flowers once every fifth game or so.

EDIT: Admittedly I have a soft spot for Phegley because we were at Indiana at the same time. But he has taken a year to adjust to every level so far, and I hope that would continue one last time for the bigs. We shall see.

If Nieto doesn't break with the team then I hope the Sox go out & acquire a veteran backup with a lot of MLB experience. What's Gerald Laird doing, is he still alive? If so, cash considerations should be enough for a guy like that. AJ said that he thinks the Sox erred in putting Flowers out there as the main guy without giving him a long-time MLB vet to help him out as a backup. I agree with what AJ said, Gimenez isn't enough of a help, and if you're going to be trotting out a veteran backup who will hit under .200 might as well get someone who can act as a coach of sorts.

But I hope Nieto breaks camp with the team & looks halfway decent. If so then you have 2 options if Flowers gets DFAd sometime around late May/June instead of just one. Of course it would be nice if Hahn found a long-term solution sometime this year (trade deadline?) but not sure how realistic that is. There are prospects out there (i.e. Yankees) but I wonder how many guys are out there that the Sox have heavily scouted & actually like.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
Unless they make a trade, I'm rooting for Nieto to make it. If he's starting once a week and coming in during blowouts, they can kind of bury him on the bench without losing him. He looks like he can hit.

You can't bury a back up catcher on the bench if you are only carrying 2, unless your #1 guy is AJ or someone of his ilk.

Edited by Dick Allen