Max Scherzer

GreatScott82

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
The fact that there are 9 pages about the Sox hypothetically signing a pitcher that they are never going to sign is funny to me.

I created a thread to spark some conversation about the future of our rotation. Will we get Max? I don't know.. But it's fun to discuss the possibilities with some of my favorite Sox posters. We are not always going to agree with things, but I sure do value your constructive thoughts. Is it funny? I don't think so. And I also wouldn't say "the sox will NEVER" sign a certain player. For instance, if Max has an average season- his cost will come way down and the Sox can come in low with an offer.

I cannot wait to start watching some meaningful baseball. Especially with our young pitching.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
Is his agent asking for Greinke money or is he getting Greinke money? That's just agent talk. Greinke was going into his 29 year old season where Shields will be going into his 33 year old season. That is a HUGE difference for starting pitchers and it should not be understated.

Ultimately, I do think Shields will end up out of our price range but the White Sox will have to adjust to the escalating contracts and they have shown willingness with the whole Tanaka saga. If they were willing to offer 6/120 (IIRC those were the parameters for Tanaka) to a pitcher who has never throw a pitch in the MLB, they must be willing to at least entertain bringing a guy like Shields aboard. Offer Shields what you think is plausible and go from there. Having a 1-2-3 of Sale-Shields-Quintana makes a us a scary playoff team if we can skate by with enough of offense and defense. How would you like your team to go up against Sale and then have to face Big Game James the next day in game two? It would be one of the best 1-2 punches in baseball. Johnson would be a great back of the rotation guy just logging innings. Without injury Sale, Shields, Quintana and Johnson could fathomably log over 800 innings. s***, Shields and Sales could push over 450 alone.

I am bias because I love Shields' game but we have powder to blow and he's a safer bet/better fit than Scherzer, Rasmus, Headley and the other big free agent names being thrown around. Sign Shields and Victor Martinez to be leaders of the new young core and all of a sudden this team looks very competitive.

Regardless, the biggest catalyst to this James Shields free agency talk would be Dayton Moore. If Kansas City doesn't make the playoffs he probably gets canned. Who knows what the new management would think of Shields or what their plans are. If KC does grab a playoff spot, does Moore throw huge money at Shields to rationalize trading Wil Myers? Should be interesting for White Sox fans either way. Detroit is at the end of their window and it is Kansas City who has the best shot to overtake them. Stealing Shields from them would make it all the more sweet.

It would be funny if those 9 pages were actually devoted to Scherzer. The thread turned to the future of the rotation.

I think the Sox have a chance at Shields, but I don't understand how Jimenez would not have been a better signing. Shields is going to be around $75M.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
So much wrong packed into ~25 words. Just stop bringing up Jimenez. If you haven't noticed you annoy 99% of the posters on the site with this repetitive garbage. You and The Ultimate Champion should get an apartment in Baltimore and go troll an Orioles' board.

I'm just curious as to how Shields is a better option than Jimenez would have been.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
I'm just curious as to how Shields is a better option than Jimenez would have been.

To answer your question, aside from track records, whether or not Shields makes sense depends on how the Sox development goes this year. If we're at essentially the same point next year that we are right now, then Shields makes as little sense as Jimenez (very little).

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
To answer your question, aside from track records, whether or not Shields makes sense depends on how the Sox development goes this year. If we're at essentially the same point next year that we are right now, then Shields makes as little sense as Jimenez (very little).

Fair answer. Given it though, It's difficult to envision a scenario where the Sox improve enough to where signing Shields would make sense. He'll be 33 opening day 2015.

I don't see us signing a pitcher, I see us signing a guy like Colby Rasmus next offseason (Something to the tune of 5/85 would seem like market value).

Future lineup:

LF Adam Eaton

2nd Marcus Semien

RF Avisail Garcia

1B Jose Abreu

CF Colby Rasmus

DH Dayan Viciedo

3B Matt Davidson

C Free Agent

SS Tim Anderson

Rotation

Sale

Quintana

3rd overall pick

Johnson

Beck/Some free agent/prospect

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
So much wrong packed into ~25 words. Just stop bringing up Jimenez. If you haven't noticed you annoy 99% of the posters on the site with this repetitive garbage. You and The Ultimate Champion should get an apartment in Baltimore and go troll an Orioles' board.

Why the apartment in Baltimore?

QUOTE (professa @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
I don't see us signing a pitcher, I see us signing a guy like Colby Rasmus next offseason (Something to the tune of 5/85 would seem like market value).

Future lineup:

LF Adam Eaton

2nd Marcus Semien

RF Avisail Garcia

1B Jose Abreu

CF Colby Rasmus

DH Dayan Viciedo

3B Matt Davidson

C Free Agent

SS Tim Anderson

Rotation

Sale

Quintana

3rd overall pick

Johnson

Beck/Some free agent/prospect

Anderson might not even end up at SS.

And he's at least 2 or 2 1/2 years away, still.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 06:49 AM)
That is why I suggested Scherzer for that #2 starter spot. He will only be 29 at the beginning of next year. If that is 'too old' for this team, then they better trade Danks soon. He will be 30 next year- ANCIENT!

So, if given the choice, you would have given Johan Santana an 8 year, $200 million deal when he was entering his age 30 season? He was a multiple Cy Young award winner and probably the best pitcher in baseball. Frankly, he was a better pitcher than Max Scherzer was entering that period.

If so, you'd be entering year 5 of the contract - only halfway through - and you'd have a Johan Santana that is topping out at 83 on the gun. That's how fast pitchers can degrade and why the Sox have never invested a large amount of money in them. That's not going to suddenly change with Max Scherzer, who just so happens to be a Boras client on top of it all.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
I created a thread to spark some conversation about the future of our rotation. Will we get Max? I don't know.. But it's fun to discuss the possibilities with some of my favorite Sox posters. We are not always going to agree with things, but I sure do value your constructive thoughts. Is it funny? I don't think so. And I also wouldn't say "the sox will NEVER" sign a certain player. For instance, if Max has an average season- his cost will come way down and the Sox can come in low with an offer.

I cannot wait to start watching some meaningful baseball. Especially with our young pitching.

The Sox will not sign Scherzer. Again, here are your 3 rough outlines of what can happen (there are more specifics that can happen, but it generally falls into these 3 categories):

1) Scherzer is healthy, has a great year, and is primed for a huge payday in free agency, somewhere around 8 years, $200 mill. The Sox don't want him.

2) Scherzer is healthy, has an OK year, and is primed for a huge payday in free agency, somewhere around 5-8 years at $20-25 mill a year with incentives and options and opt outs. The Sox don't want him.

3) Scherzer is not healthy, it doesn't matter how he performs, and he's looking at a 1 year prove it deal in the range of $10-20 mill. He either performs really well and bolts for a big offer the next year, or he doesn't and it ultimately hurts the team at the current cost. The Sox don't want him.

The Sox will never sign Max Scherzer - with the added qualifier - so long as Scott Boras as his agent.