Payroll Obligations 2015-2019

Marty34

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
IMO, the right move is simply to play the waiting game. It would be completely unsurprising if an option presented itself. Noesi and Paulino still have skill even though we haven't gotten major results yet. Rienzo continues to show promise as a back of the rotation starter. EJ has been a huge disappointment so far but that could very well change as the season goes on. The guys at AA have been disappointing but again, it wouldn't be surprising at all to see them pick it up as the season goes on.

On top of that, the Sox continue to have some options that are going to need to be traded if they don't make a run at the division, which could help fill in a hole/provide minor league depth, and who knows what else may become available. Thanks to having some degree of flexibility, if a team had a highly-paid guy comparable to John Danks that they were interested in dumping later this year, the Sox could potentially fill in a rotation spot without having to give up much in the way of talent even for a veteran that way as well.

If it gets to next offseason and no option has presented itself and the lineup continues to produce and we're ready to sign Viciedo to a long term extension and we know who our 2015 catcher is and we know who our 2015 3b is and we know who our 2015 2b is and we can cover the gaps in the bullpen, then a big SP signing could still make sense, but there's no good reason to obsess over it right now.

that was damn good post .... the only problem I have with it, if any is signing Viciedo and its b/c of his agent comes into play.

I don't know why anyone here thinks we'll be only going with reclamations, bargains and possibly mid-level pitcher FA's next year. Don't know if it's an inferiority complex of some sort or just a fear of the pitching market, but I don't know why it exists. We've nearly always set our sites at or near the highest tier of available players; from Belle to Peavy to Dunn. Yeah, the market is crazy for pitchers, but JR's not going be afraid of it. All the so-called big money orgs have plenty of other fish to fry this offseason, and if we prioritize a guy like Shields with a long-term healthy, innings eating track record, he can definitely be had.

Yes, we're rebuilding THIS year, but if you don't think JR wants to dispense with the rebuild ASAP and compete again, you're not paying close enough attention. Maybe he knows that at least SOME of his fans are like Marty.

This is all I'm going to say on the subject, because the endless arguing of hypotheticals is endlessly stupid, but history says we shift gears and go-for-it with semi-regularity.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
Not as much lucky as way underspend in favor of spending on the major league roster.

you know I been wanting to ask this a long time ago .....when the sox guy got caught in the kickback scheme, would you

agree that maybe the sox made a agreement not to sign player for several yrs?

QUOTE (LDF @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
Marty .... Marty .... marty, I really don't need to come to SS2K5 defense, but the poster I know as SS2K5 doesn't come

at anyone or causes problems ..... so chill

I believe you knowingly just posted a falsehood. The soxtalk illuminati are now discussing the proper punishment

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 1, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
I believe you knowingly just posted a falsehood. The soxtalk illuminati are now discussing the proper punishment

hahaha ..... I was wondering when the old K23 will come out. :)

QUOTE (LDF @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
you know I been wanting to ask this a long time ago .....when the sox guy got caught in the kickback scheme, would you

agree that maybe the sox made a agreement not to sign player for several yrs?

No, I wouldn't.

I think it goes back to Jerry honoring his gentleman's agreement with MLB to not go over recommended slot for each pick, and it getting harder and harder to find players who were willing to sign for those numbers. I think it also goes to Kenny cutting the draft dollars so that he could put more into the big club.

This thread is about future payroll obligations. Sale and Q are signed to very team friendly contracts. Future obligations aren't very high. If a couple of these younger guys pan out, there should be plenty to spend on guys better than the Felipe Paulinos of the world. We already know there is plenty now or they wouldn't have risked Tanaka saying yes.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
Everyone knows or should at least know that JR is not afraid to spend money or trade for the right player, if his management

say so ....

that is my point.

For specific guy, absolutely.

Some take that as if he is willing to spend money on Tanaka, he has to have a spare $100 million in his pocket to spend now, having no idea if that is true or not. The Tanaka stuff could mean a lot of things. Honestly I think in that case they viewed Tanaka as a money generator that pretty much any other player wouldn't be. He would single handedly open a revenue stream back to Japan, and in this country, which no other player on the market really could have. I think they also viewed the guy as a game changer, much in the line of Abreu's batting ability, and didn't see that in the other pitchers on the market.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)
No, I wouldn't.

I think it goes back to Jerry honoring his gentleman's agreement with MLB to not go over recommended slot for each pick, and it getting harder and harder to find players who were willing to sign for those numbers. I think it also goes to Kenny cutting the draft dollars so that he could put more into the big club.

I didn't mean that, it seems to me that there were several prospect who I would've love to see on the sox, but b/c of the

kickback, we didn't make a offer. that was any offer for about 2 or 3 yrs.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
I didn't mean that, it seems to me that there were several prospect who I would've love to see on the sox, but b/c of the

kickback, we didn't make a offer. that was any offer for about 2 or 3 yrs.

I got you now. Yes, our Latin American operations were destroyed because of this. I don't think we had any real boots on the ground down there until the last few years. I wonder if part of it was not knowing if they could trust people down there, wondering if they were part of Wilder's scheme.

Really the last two years is when we have started putting money out down there again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
For specific guy, absolutely.

Some take that as if he is willing to spend money on Tanaka, he has to have a spare $100 million in his pocket to spend now, having no idea if that is true or not. The Tanaka stuff could mean a lot of things. Honestly I think in that case they viewed Tanaka as a money generator that pretty much any other player wouldn't be. He would single handedly open a revenue stream back to Japan, and in this country, which no other player on the market really could have. I think they also viewed the guy as a game changer, much in the line of Abreu's batting ability, and didn't see that in the other pitchers on the market.

what was VA comment on JR midnight call to KW..... JR will not spend money just to spend and he will listen to

is top baseball people with a set guideline to answer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
I got you now. Yes, our Latin American operations were destroyed because of this. I don't think we had any real boots on the ground down there until the last few years. I wonder if part of it was not knowing if they could trust people down there, wondering if they were part of Wilder's scheme.

Really the last two years is when we have started putting money out down there again.

exactly ...... but with signing them we have a vacuum state and its now. I have said this, its too early to do anything

of worth. let the season play out and see.

we are excited b/c of Jose being a world beater.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
exactly ...... but with signing them we have a vacuum state and its now. I have said this, its too early to do anything

of worth. let the season play out and see.

we are excited b/c of Jose being a world beater.

No one is making moves on May 1. They really aren't even going to make moves on June 1, or maybe not even July 1.

Any expectations of externals moves being made is just silly. Any improvement is coming from the system, or possibly someone else's castoffs.

I just want to throw in here too, there are a few pitching prospects that still have most of their seasons to potentially bloom. That may also effect the calculus this coming offseason. Beck has had a slow start, but that may not last. Bassitt will be back from injury shortly. Reclamation projects like Hanson haven't had a good look yet.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
I just want to throw in here too, there are a few pitching prospects that still have most of their seasons to potentially bloom. That may also effect the calculus this coming offseason. Beck has had a slow start, but that may not last. Bassitt will be back from injury shortly. Reclamation projects like Hanson haven't had a good look yet.

I also think that factors in. Why sign a mid rotation guy long term, when we may well be generating them in the next year or two for a small fraction of the cost.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2014 -> 06:26 AM)
Also, on a serious note, who was the last free agent starting pitcher the White Sox signed to a large contract? Jamie Navarro? I do believe there's a reason for that.

They did acquire Contreras and Frederico in trades. They typically believe in acquiring starters via trades (if they are going to go outside of the org) vs. playing the free agent game or at least have in the past. They did try to make a mega splash with Tanaka though this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
No one is making moves on May 1. They really aren't even going to make moves on June 1, or maybe not even July 1.

Any expectations of externals moves being made is just silly. Any improvement is coming from the system, or possibly someone else's castoffs.

and I can deal with that when the time comes. I still like our minor league and prospect we have. are they going to

perform now, nah but lets not over react.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 1, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
They did acquire Contreras and Frederico in trades. They typically believe in acquiring starters via trades (if they are going to go outside of the org) vs. playing the free agent game or at least have in the past. They did try to make a mega splash with Tanaka though this year.

Hey Chisoxfn ..... how is it hanging ????? Been well ?

in Tanaka , the offer for him, I believe was nothing but a token one. proof is when he WENT over for Jose

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
This thread is about future payroll obligations. Sale and Q are signed to very team friendly contracts. Future obligations aren't very high. If a couple of these younger guys pan out, there should be plenty to spend on guys better than the Felipe Paulinos of the world. We already know there is plenty now or they wouldn't have risked Tanaka saying yes.

I don't understand the idea of waiting around for middling pitching prospects to develop and wasting Chris Sale.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 1, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
I don't understand the idea of waiting around for middling pitching prospects to develop and wasting Chris Sale.

b/c of over paying ..... we have hole (s) that need to be fix.

a. outfield

b. pitching a #2 and #4/5

c. we don't have a large amount of prospects to fix everything.