Conversation from last night's game

southsider2k5

I haven't see this mentioned, but I wanted to mention the conversation that Hawk and Stone were having last night about pitching injuries included an interested tidbit. They both talked about the fact that working with the legs of the pitcher to get more drive and easy the pressure on the arm, isn't really talked about anymore. They speculated that stronger legs would carry a pitcher further and reduce the need to throw as much with the arm.

Thoughts?

I agree. Kids now a days use a lot of arm in their motion. I coach at the high school level and pitchers and even outfielders are using all arm and upper half in their motion and crow hops. It's honestly harder than you think to change it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 14, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
I don't think that's true. Pitchers aren't working their arms that much besides throwing their regimen usually includes running for 45 minutes after starts and squats/lunges and an emphasis on the core.

What I found more interesting, something that I can't comment towards intelligibly, was their ideas surrounding the height of the mound. Supposedly if the MLB raised the mound 2-3 inches it would be a lot easier to get the tilt on the offspeed pitches.

That would be a good idea but perhaps a tough sell with hitting already dropped off os much.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
I don't think that's true. Pitchers aren't working their arms that much besides throwing their regimen usually includes running for 45 minutes after starts and squats/lunges and an emphasis on the core.

What I found more interesting, something that I can't comment towards intelligibly, was their ideas surrounding the height of the mound. Supposedly if the MLB raised the mound 2-3 inches it would be a lot easier to get the tilt on the offspeed pitches.

This is true only from the fact that it would increase the downward angle of the pitch and release.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)

Hawk has been mentioning raising the mound and getting bigger seams on the balls for years as a way to reduce pitching injuries. They wouldn't need the max effort every pitch for max movement or to get guys out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
I haven't see this mentioned, but I wanted to mention the conversation that Hawk and Stone were having last night about pitching injuries included an interested tidbit. They both talked about the fact that working with the legs of the pitcher to get more drive and easy the pressure on the arm, isn't really talked about anymore. They speculated that stronger legs would carry a pitcher further and reduce the need to throw as much with the arm.

Thoughts?

It seems to me that when coaches talked pitching and good pitchers talked pitching they always mentioned the lower body strength and specifically strong legs as the key