MLB Mock Draft

Frank_Thomas

Does anyone in the know or with ties to the Sox organization have any idea how the White Sox value Libertyville HS catcher Evan Skoug? From what I've been able to read online, he's probably a 2nd-4th round pick. He's a tremendous young man and a fabulous player from a wonderful family...but I say that as a former Little League coach and neighbor. I'd love to see him drafted by the White Sox and offered enough of a signing bonus to forgo his commitment to TCU. It will be a thrill to follow his development/career no matter what he ends up doing...but as a fan, I can hope.

QUOTE (gosox41 @ May 17, 2014 -> 04:36 AM)
I want a player with big upside. What about the C/OF the Cubs may take at 4. The best all around hitter in the draft.

While I want the Sox to get pitching (Rodon) I am wary of taking a HS pitcher in the first round.

Bob

Exactly. In this day and age, how big of a crapshoot is it taking a high school pitcher? If we don't take a college pitcher or position player, the people rooting for losses the second half of last season may look rather silly. I'm not a draftnick so I have no opinion except to say I'd prefer a clone of Salvador Perez if a stud catcher is out there.

Jackson has been converted to the outfield already this year and there seems to be little consideration being given to moving him back there.

As far as Hoffman being taken 3rd, that was true two weeks ago, possibly...before the Tommy John surgeries were announced for both him and Eric Fedde (UNLV). Now both are likely to go between #15-35, depending on the money...the thought being they're much better off rehabbing with an MLB team, rather than taking the risk of being in independent ball and not having a top training staff around.

At one point, there was speculation that Hoffman could even establish residency in another country and make himself an international free agent, where the bidding would likely start at $20 million instead of the $1-2 million he's more likely to receive now. Not sure if that was just a spit-balling rumor on the internet or if there's any real traction to that line of thinking in either the Fedde or Hoffman camps now.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 18, 2014 -> 03:17 AM)
Exactly. In this day and age, how big of a crapshoot is it taking a high school pitcher? If we don't take a college pitcher or position player, the people rooting for losses the second half of last season may look rather silly. I'm not a draftnick so I have no opinion except to say I'd prefer a clone of Salvador Perez if a stud catcher is out there.

Ah yes, because high school hitters are also a lock.

And what the f*** is it with you and calling people [word]nicks? Statnick, draftnick. I shall call you Gregnick.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 18, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
Ah yes, because high school hitters are also a lock.

And what the f*** is it with you and calling people [word]nicks? Statnick, draftnick. I shall call you Gregnick.

Draftnick is just a way to say/write it quickly. There's no known word for somebody who roots for their team to lose to get the best draft position. Not meant to be derogatory. The people that do it freely admit to it so they don't mind getting labeled I wouldn't think.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 18, 2014 -> 07:34 PM)
Draftnick is just a way to say/write it quickly. There's no known word for somebody who roots for their team to lose to get the best draft position. Not meant to be derogatory. The people that do it freely admit to it so they don't mind getting labeled I wouldn't think.

Do you think there would be any difference in attendance/revenues if this team finished 78-84 or 68-94?

Cost/benefit analysis time.

How increased are the odds of getting a future superstar/franchise player to go along with Sale/Abreu at pick #4-5 vs. #9-13?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2014 -> 12:54 AM)
Do you think there would be any difference in attendance/revenues if this team finished 78-84 or 68-94?

Yes, I think there would be. One of those seasons is poor. One of those is an unmitigated, unwatchable disaster If they finished with 78 wins last year and signed Abreu I'd probably still have bought the MLB Extra Innings package this year. Instead they were a 63 win team and I decided I could pass.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 18, 2014 -> 08:34 PM)

It's draftnik actually. Draftnik is a term describing those who study professional sports leagues drafts, and cover the draft in the media. The term is most often used in reference to the NFL Draft and was coined in the mid-1980s after the draft was first televised by ESPN. -Wikipedia.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 19, 2014 -> 07:26 AM)
It's draftnik actually. Draftnik is a term describing those who study professional sports leagues drafts, and cover the draft in the media. The term is most often used in reference to the NFL Draft and was coined in the mid-1980s after the draft was first televised by ESPN. -Wikipedia.

What was the first ".......nik"? Beatnik, perhaps?