5/24 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 25, 2014 -> 12:00 AM)
All the ground balls by Danish are great. Hope the swing and miss starts to develop too though.

if I remember correctly, he was never going to be a big strikeout kind of pitcher, mostly grounder and put

outs.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 24, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
if I remember correctly, he was never going to be a big strikeout kind of pitcher, mostly grounder and put

outs.

Not going to make a big deal out of this particularly because Danish is only 19 in High-A, but pitching prospects for the most part need to show a proclivity for the strikeout. Strikeouts are a significant barometer for future success, especially at lower levels as competition only gets better as you move up. Even your pitch to contact sinker types strike people out in the minors. Extreme cases like Brandon Webb even had K/9's in the range of 7 to 9 throughout his progression. There are obviously outliers and exceptions to the rule, but a lack of strikeouts should raise some concern.

Once again, not really worried about Danish. He's 19, on an innings limit, and is only working at 88 to 91 so far. Just hoping that more swing and miss shows up as he hones his craft.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 25, 2014 -> 01:39 AM)
Not going to make a big deal out of this particularly because Danish is only 19 in High-A, but pitching prospects for the most part need to show a proclivity for the strikeout. Strikeouts are a significant barometer for future success, especially at lower levels as competition only gets better as you move up. Even your pitch to contact sinker types strike people out in the minors. Extreme cases like Brandon Webb even had K/9's in the range of 7 to 9 throughout his progression. There are obviously outliers and exceptions to the rule, but a lack of strikeouts should raise some concern.

Once again, not really worried about Danish. He's 19, on an innings limit, and is only working at 88 to 91 so far. Just hoping that more swing and miss shows up as he hones his craft.

thanks.... I learned something here.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 24, 2014 -> 06:39 PM)

I agree that the lack of Ks from our top pitching prospects has been somewhat alarming but I do find it peculiar that all of our top draft choices that are being groomed to be starters have hit the same wall in their development. This similarity and the evidence provided by this first-hand account of Chris Beck's start in BIR lead me to believe that these pitchers are forced to focus on a certain aspect of their pitching arsenal to help develop their overall game. Also I could imagine that pitchers like Danish have been told to limit velocity and focus on location as well to save their arms while building arm strength which could explain Danish's lower velocity totals. We all know he is capable of hitting the mid-90s so there are has to be some other explanation for the decrease in velocity.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ May 25, 2014 -> 04:32 AM)
I agree that the lack of Ks from our top pitching prospects has been somewhat alarming but I do find it

peculiar that all of our top draft choices that are being groomed to be starters have hit the same wall in

their development. This similarity and the evidence provided by this first-hand account of Chris

Beck's start in BIR lead me to believe that these pitchers are forced to focus on a certain aspect of their

pitching arsenal to help develop their overall game. Also I could imagine that pitchers like Danish have been

told to limit velocity and focus on location as well to save their arms while building arm strength which could

explain Danish's lower velocity totals. We all know he is capable of hitting the mid-90s so there are has to be

some other explanation for the decrease in velocity.

first let me state that I did not know he was capable of hitting in the mid 90's. that being said it is a good move

by the sox to let them, the pitcher gain strength, I thought of that a couple of yrs back. is it really a bad thing

to do?

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ May 24, 2014 -> 10:32 PM)
I agree that the lack of Ks from our top pitching prospects has been somewhat alarming but I do find it peculiar that all of our top draft choices that are being groomed to be starters have hit the same wall in their development. This similarity and the evidence provided by this first-hand account of Chris Beck's start in BIR lead me to believe that these pitchers are forced to focus on a certain aspect of their pitching arsenal to help develop their overall game. Also I could imagine that pitchers like Danish have been told to limit velocity and focus on location as well to save their arms while building arm strength which could explain Danish's lower velocity totals. We all know he is capable of hitting the mid-90s so there are has to be some other explanation for the decrease in velocity.

How does that explain what's going on with Erik Johnson?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2014 -> 10:54 PM)

I don't think it does. I think everyone is puzzled about his recent drop in velocity, even the front office and coaching staff, that's why they sent him down to Charlotte to find his velocity.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2014 -> 05:54 AM)

first Johnson was never going to hit the mid 90's, he was slated to 90-92 range. so talking about pitchers

being asked to not throw as hard was never in the books, imo.

now for Johnson dropping to the high 80's, that is totally a different mystery.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 26, 2014 -> 06:52 AM)
first Johnson was never going to hit the mid 90's, he was slated to 90-92 range. so talking about pitchers

being asked to not throw as hard was never in the books, imo.

now for Johnson dropping to the high 80's, that is totally a different mystery.

Everyone who watched the radar gun readings last year on him said he was consistently 92-93, touching 93 and 94 at times.

According to the PITCHf/x data over at Brooksbaseball.net, Johnson showed five pitches last season, although his fastball and sinker are very close in movement and velocity. The average velocity on his fastball is 92 mph, which is good but also unimpressive in today’s world of ubiquitous flame throwers. While his repertoire is well-rounded, none of his pitches stand out as elite. The curveball and cutter were his best pitches from a results perspective, but we’re talking about a very small sample.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?pla...=P&pitch=FA

This shows more clearly the falloff from 2013 to 2014. Same thing, 92-93 down to 88-90 (major league starts) and reportedly high 80's in Charlotte.