2014 FIFA World Cup

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)
It was hit right at him. He gets no credit. It would have hit him in the face.

The reactions to get his hands up and punch it onto the post were unbelievable. Maybe it would have struck him in the face and gone safe, maybe it would have ricocheted in, maybe it would have fallen to a Dutch player. I give him a lot of credit.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)
The reactions to get his hands up and punch it onto the post were unbelievable. Maybe it would have struck him in the face and gone safe, maybe it would have ricocheted in, maybe it would have fallen to a Dutch player. I give him a lot of credit.

Agree to disagree, but the hard shot hit right at the keeper is the most overrated save in the game.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
Damn Mexico should have just kept attacking. That turtle s*** can always back fire.

Yeah, I agree. They don't play teams like Netherlands very often, but I don't recall seeing Mexico play that defensively. Pretty crazy ending.

Mexico got conservative there at the end. It's the equivalent of the prevent defense in the NFL.

Nothing Ochoa could have done on either of those goals.

Marquez was a bit lucky he didn't get called for another foul earlier in the game...at age 35, he just doesn't quite have the quickness anymore to stay with Robben one on one.

Netherlands has the better team and is still one of the 2-3 favorites to win it all, but close to tragic for Mexico, if there's such a thing in sports (when an entire country's hopes are pinned to a team in a national sport and they seem poised to win).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
Yeah, I agree. They don't play teams like Netherlands very often, but I don't recall seeing Mexico play that defensively. Pretty crazy ending.

They didn't send that many men forward. I know you want to avoid counter attacks but still, they need a 2nd goal before you goal full blown turtle.

Has a team ever showed up the a knockout round game and appeared to have 0 interest in it? Mexico did some good things in the first 50 minutes but the Dutch came in thinking they could just show up and it'd be an automatic win.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
Has a team ever showed up the a knockout round game and appeared to have 0 interest in it? Mexico did some good things in the first 50 minutes but the Dutch came in thinking they could just show up and it'd be an automatic win.

Dat analysis.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
Dat analysis.

dont be mad, you can go ahead and claim you really dont care about soccer like you did in the past when Mexico was struggling in qualifiers but only to keep showing up in these threads.

and go ahead and start throwing that choke word around, even i wont argue about applying it now.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
They didn't send that many men forward. I know you want to avoid counter attacks but still, they need a 2nd goal before you goal full blown turtle.

I wrote that Mexico should've kept attacking. Holland went foward but Mexico didn't try and control the ball, they just went to full defensive mode with way too much time. They had this game but didn't go for the kill, this game was winnable. The Robben penalty was a flop but the ref didn't call the clear one near the end of the first half.

Anyways, it was a nice showing considering Mexico looked like crap in the CONCACAF tourney.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
I wrote that Mexico should've kept attacking. Holland went foward but Mexico didn't try and control the ball, they just went to full defensive mode with way too much time. They had this game but didn't go for the kill, this game was winnable. The Robben penalty was a flop but the ref didn't call the clear one near the end of the first half.

Anyways, it was a nice showing considering Mexico looked like crap in the CONCACAF tourney.

Yeah I agree with this. Get that second goal then consider the turtle. I hate that playing to preserve a lead strategy; play to f***ing win.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
Marquez was a bit lucky he didn't get called for another foul earlier in the game...at age 35, he just doesn't quite have the quickness anymore to stay with Robben one on one.

I have been baffled that Marquez is even on the roster, but you have to say Mexico didn't give up any meaningful goals in the tournament until the 88th minute of their fourth game (Croatia scored a late garbage time goal with result decided) so the defense was excellent. Ochoa deserves big credit for that, but Mexico's defense was strong as it was in qualifying so I don't think you can put too much on Marquez.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
dont be mad, you can go ahead and claim you really dont care about soccer like you did in the past when Mexico was struggling in qualifiers but only to keep showing up in these threads.

and go ahead and start throwing that choke word around, even i wont argue about applying it now.

Soccer is my fifth favorite sport, I don't follow league play that much, I know in general what going on but I don't even have a fave team. I tune in to WCs, Copa America and such but the Bears losing in the playoffs hits me harder than Mexico losing in the WC.

Anyways, I have no idea why you're being a dick, Mexico didn't choke, in the end they gave up the initiative to a world class team and you can't do that. Laugh all you want right now, I'll have the last laugh, especially if you lose to a crap Belgium team. :cheers

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
Soccer is my fifth favorite sport, I don't follow league play that much, I know in general what going on but I don't even have a fave team. I tune in to WCs, Copa America and such but the Bears losing in the playoffs hits me harder than Mexico losing in the WC.

Anyways, I have no idea why you're being a dick, Mexico didn't choke, in the end they gave up the initiative to a world class team and you can't do that. Laugh all you want right now, I'll have the last laugh, especially if you lose to a crap Belgium team. :cheers

It doesn't matter how good the other team is, going from from up 1-0 in the 88th minute to still losing in regulation is choking.