2014 FIFA World Cup

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
So I know nothing about soccer, but on a scale of 1-10, how surprising is it that the US advanced? 1 being not at all, 10 being shocked beyond belief. A 6? 7?

I think it's like a 8 or a 9.

We had maybe a 35% chance of getting out of the group at the start.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
So I know nothing about soccer, but on a scale of 1-10, how surprising is it that the US advanced? 1 being not at all, 10 being shocked beyond belief. A 6? 7?

I think alot of things worked in favor for the US to advanced but the surprising part would probably rate tops a 6. This team might not be an offensive jauggernaut but they position correctly on defense and play a very good counter game so the fact they beat the 2 teams they legit had a chance against is great.

Edit: sorry, tied Portugal but in reality could've won

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
I think it's like a 8 or a 9.

We had maybe a 35% chance of getting out of the group at the start.

Meh, I'd say like a 4 or 5. Us and Portugal were very close for most likely to grab that 2nd spot out of this group.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
Meh, I'd say like a 4 or 5. Us and Portugal were very close for most likely to grab that 2nd spot out of this group.

Portugal was very underwhelming as, IMO, expected and Ghana dissapointed as well but i believe it had alot to do with their numerous internal problems.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)

A healthy Ronaldo would have made a huge difference. Fortunately for us, Ronaldo played pretty badly.

I think a lot of people in this thread had the US moving on originally. So for them, it's not a huge surprise I guess.

I was not expecting us to win a game, honestly. I had two draws and a loss and that was my optimistic outlook.

And umm...Michael Bradley...that was a really bad game from him. The field conditions were bad, but everyone had to deal with it and not everyone was having the ball pop up on them like Bradley.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
Lol Mexican fans cheering for Germany. No jobs for you

Lol, you do know there are well off Mexicans that live in Mexico, right. Typical 'murrican comment, SMH.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)

People are really underselling Ghana. Ghana played very well against Germany, outplayed us (albeit we suffered some tough injuries) and really were just a disaster this past game due to off the field issues. That is what made the bracket so tough, you had a total juggernaut in Germany and 3 other teams that were fully capable of advancing, so no real cookie. I think outside the world, some would have said the US was the worst team in the bracket, my personal belief has long been that all 3 teams were in a similar spot but when you consider we played without Altidore, our leading scorer over the past year +, this is a very good result and something most people wouldn't have expected. I think our % of advancing was down in the low 30%'s if I recall and I'd put this at a 7 or so.

First time in US history to advance out of group play 2 straight cups. Now lets beat Belgium!

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
I think a lot of people in this thread had the US moving on originally. So for them, it's not a huge surprise I guess.

I was not expecting us to win a game, honestly. I had two draws and a loss and that was my optimistic outlook.

And umm...Michael Bradley...that was a really bad game from him. The field conditions were bad, but everyone had to deal with it and not everyone was having the ball pop up on them like Bradley.

A lot of people that were homers. You have to look at the international view point, imo, or the betting view points, which tend to be much better indicators.