2014 FIFA World Cup

I dont like Mexico's chances vs The Netherlands but they are showing once again how important coaching stability and playing for your coach can lead to good things. Herrera is fun to watch and his team def plays for him.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 06:41 AM)
it was one mistake in a series of them. It wasnt even the first mistake of that led to the goal. Yedlin passing the ball into the center of the field, WTF was Omar Gonzalez doing in the position he was in?, and then Cameron not seeing the only guy making a run into the box.

I was pretty upset watching what could've been done but the people just turning on Bradley is just pathetic. There is a Tampa sports host who watches soccer and has talked about soccer on his show in the past so he isnt some new fan. He was just shredding him apart from not scoring earlier in the game because he just went to "tap it in" to actually saying he thinks he sucks and is overrated because of the tying goal. And of course casual fans who are listening are joining the Bradley Sucks bandwagon.

I guess that is what I deserve for listening to local radio during times like this.

This. Absolutely this. Even Klinnsman deserves blame for the Gonzalez sub. If Zusi is still in, maybe Beasley has some cover on the wing, Ronaldo gets closed down, and the cross never gets through. Plenty of blame to go around.

I thought we were beyond the Bradley hate when he earned his spot under Klinnsman (you know, he's only on the national team because his Dad was the coach nonsense). Regardless, the US needs the Bradley from the first half vs. Portugal or, even better, the last friendly vs. Mexico to show up on Thursday to get a result and render the Ghana-Portugal result irrelevant.

Play Germany even for 80-85 minutes and then let both teams take a foot off the gas to get a draw.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)
Yeah, it was an error of execution. He took a bad touch. Not that bad of a mistake to be honest.

Bradley had a bad moment there but he played very well that game. It was nothing like the first game. Very unfortunate timing of what happened and while people can talk about mis execution, what-ifs, you tip your cap to Portugal on a perfectly placed ball and run.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
This. Absolutely this. Even Klinnsman deserves blame for the Gonzalez sub. If Zusi is still in, maybe Beasley has some cover on the wing, Ronaldo gets closed down, and the cross never gets through. Plenty of blame to go around.

I thought we were beyond the Bradley hate when he earned his spot under Klinnsman (you know, he's only on the national team because his Dad was the coach nonsense). Regardless, the US needs the Bradley from the first half vs. Portugal or, even better, the last friendly vs. Mexico to show up on Thursday to get a result and render the Ghana-Portugal result irrelevant.

Play Germany even for 80-85 minutes and then let both teams take a foot off the gas to get a draw.

When you are arguably the team's best player and have a game-deciding ball on your foot twice and don't make the play, you are gonna get scrutinized. Were they easy plays? No. Is it completely fair? No, but when the spotlight is only on you once every four years, that's gonna happen. If he puts the ball past the Portugal defender or doesn't lose it at the end, the US wins. Other players are definitely to be blamed, but he was still directly involved with two huge moments.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
When you are arguably the team's best player and have a game-deciding ball on your foot twice and don't make the play, you are gonna get scrutinized. Were they easy plays? No. Is it completely fair? No, but when the spotlight is only on you once every four years, that's gonna happen. If he puts the ball past the Portugal defender or doesn't lose it at the end, the US wins. Other players are definitely to be blamed, but he was still directly involved with two huge moments.

It's one thing to be scrutinized and another to be tarred and feathered. Bradley was significantly better v. Portugal than he was against Ghana. If his shot in 51st minute isn't cleared off the line, he's potentially the Man of the Match (or at least in the discussion with Jones, Besler and Johnson).

We clearly disagree on the ball that was cleared off the line (it was absolutely not a sitter like most detractors claim). And I agree that Bradley deserves his share of blame for the last goal. But there are plenty of other guys who deserve blame as well.

Bradley, for me, was probably a 6 vs. Portugal. He controlled the midfield in the first half. Combined dangerously with Dempsey throughout the match. Kept alive the play that led to the second goal (fortunate bounce off a defender that fell to Zusi, but plenty of guys would have hit that ball twenty rows deep). He also ran over half a mile further than any other US player. He could have done better with the ball that was cleared off the line. He should have done better at 94:24, but, again, lots of blame to go around there. And he should have picked a better ball when the US had a promising break in the second half. Overall though, he put in a pretty strong shift.

Bottom line, Bradley wasn't terrible in the Portugal match, and the US is going to need a huge effort from Bradley on Thursday if they want to keep their fate out of the hands of Ghana-Portugal.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
Someone needs to beat the s*** out of Suarez one day. What the f*** is wrong with that guy?

There is absolutely no way he should be permitted to play again in the World Cup. And was I the only one who thought the straight red card against Italy was excessive?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
Didn't think the red was bad at all. Cleats up, not even trying to play the ball, straight into the other player, right in front of the reg will be red everytime.

But yeah Suarez needs a long suspension if not expulsion.

Apparently, it's not the first time he's bit someone.

If you thought Zidane's headbutt was weird, this is on another level.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
Im guessing the plan is you bite someone, they react, you dive and hope for a PK?

In this case, he started grabbing his teeth acting like he got elbowed or something.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
Glad Italy lost but Suarez is a POS. In 2010 he cheated Ghana and now he's biting someone.

Not to defend Suarez, but how exactly did he cheat Ghana? He committed a rules infraction, for which he received the deserved red card, expulsion, and suspension from the next game, while Ghana was awarded a penalty kick. Blame Gyan for choking on the kick.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
There is absolutely no way he should be permitted to play again in the World Cup. And was I the only one who thought the straight red card against Italy was excessive?

Yeah, I thought the Italy red was a bad call. I'm more blown away by how none of the officials saw Suarez. Even if they couldn't clearly see a bite, which was hard without replay, it certainly looks like a headbutt. Then Uruguay scores a minute later. Total BS. We're talking about a player possibly being banned from international play and he didn't even have a foul called against him on the play. If the refs are that bad, you just shake your head and laugh.

I feel awful for the Ivorians. They get the group of death in 2006, then get placed with Portugal and Brazil in 2010 and now in 2014 they are knocked out of advancing due to a bulls*** penalty call in the final seconds. Terrible. And now everyone has to be subjected to watching the Greeks horrible style of football for another game as well

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 08:35 PM)
Not to defend Suarez, but how exactly did he cheat Ghana? He committed a rules infraction, for which he received the deserved red card, expulsion, and suspension from the next game, while Ghana was awarded a penalty kick. Blame Gyan for choking on the kick.

FIFA promotes Fair Play and the first rule of soccer is you cant use your hands. He did both. This wasnt your normal handball that we see often in the box, this was Suarez playing as a second keeper.

Was the Yankees pitcher with the pine tar on his hand cheating or was it just a rules infraction? He was deservedly got tossed from the game and suspended too.

Boring slate of games today but it might get mildly interesting if the Swiss are able to whip up on Honduras.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 07:42 AM)
FIFA promotes Fair Play and the first rule of soccer is you cant use your hands. He did both. This wasnt your normal handball that we see often in the box, this was Suarez playing as a second keeper.

Was the Yankees pitcher with the pine tar on his hand cheating or was it just a rules infraction? He was deservedly got tossed from the game and suspended too.

Boring slate of games today but it might get mildly interesting if the Swiss are able to whip up on Honduras.

Fair play? LOL. Was it fair play when Graham Zusi took over 60 seconds to cross the pitch for a late substitution? Is it fair play when goalies approach goal kicks like crippled old men to kill time? In the heat of the moment, Suarez made a smart play to up his team's survival chances from 0% to about 10-15%. I would hope every American player would have the instinct to do the same should such situation arise.