2014 FIFA World Cup

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
I still have no idea what the call was on that corner kick where the possible 2nd goal could have been scored in the first half for Mexico

Steve Nicol on ESPN just said since the Cameroon defender's deflection wasn't intentional, meaning he didn't intend to hit it there because he could only deflect it, he doesn't count as a defender, but still resets the offside line. In other words, the offside line was reset as if a Mexican player hit the ball off the corner.

In simple terms they got the call right.

This was new to me, but an interesting explanation. Hey, at least we got an explanation. The US didn't get that against Slovenia in 2010.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 11:07 PM)
Steve Nicol on ESPN just said since the Cameroon defender's deflection wasn't intentional, meaning he didn't intend to hit it there because he could only deflect it, he doesn't count as a defender, but still resets the offside line. In other words, the offside line was reset as if a Mexican player hit the ball off the corner.

In simple terms they got the call right.

This was new to me, but an interesting explanation. Hey, at least we got an explanation. The US didn't get that against Slovenia in 2010.

Yeah, I've never heard of that and so difficult to call when everyone's in the goal mouth for a corner kick.

The 3rd goal in the Spanish/Netherlands game, the attacker was basically in the goal and collided with the goal post as he was trying to contact it with his head....I couldn't even tell from the replay how it went in, just that Casilla misjudged his leap and the ball got to the far post. It seemed like it hit his head, went straight down and bounced off a foot or leg into the goal.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 10:24 PM)
I don't know how you can look at that and not see a penalty. The defender is sliding out of control and the ball is well away so he's not playing the ball at all. Then there's obvious contact with the trailing leg that absolutely causes him to lose his balance and fall. Yes he stepped on his leg, but the defender shouldn't have been there and it's awfully tough to say he stepped on his leg intentionally. It's not Diego Costa's responsibility to get out of the way of the defender.

Agreed.

There's no way from all the replays you can blame him or say he was acting or whatever.

Whenever a defender's sliding in the penalty box, there's always that 10-15% chance you take down your opponent inadvertently...doesn't matter if it wasn't a huge amount of contact, it still knocked him down or off-stride and stopped all of his momentum toward the goal. 95% of referees are going to be forced to make that same call.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 11:24 PM)
I don't know how you can look at that and not see a penalty. The defender is sliding out of control and the ball is well away so he's not playing the ball at all. Then there's obvious contact with the trailing leg that absolutely causes him to lose his balance and fall. Yes he stepped on his leg, but the defender shouldn't have been there and it's awfully tough to say he stepped on his leg intentionally. It's not Diego Costa's responsibility to get out of the way of the defender.

He stepped on him. And then flopped.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 07:34 AM)
He stepped on him. And then flopped.

Because at that moment he had to plant his left foot and reverse direction...he must be a Houdini to have the presence to be looking completely in the other direction and still get lucky enough to find the leg of the sliding defender and lose his balance in convincing enough fashion.

If you watched the action in real time...the first time...it's much more difficult to come up with another interpretation. If you slow it down and look at 1/32nd of a frame, then sure, if you want to come to that conclusion (it was an intentional move), it's possible to see it that way.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
I will never understand why a US citizen would root for Mexico over the US.

this. im part mexican(because my dad is from there) and live in a predominantly mexican neighborhood(east side chicago) and thats why i dont even root for mexico. pi**es me off that mexicns that live here "hate" the US team(trust me , plenty do) but its like ok , you live here. and why? because its a beetter/easier life than mexico lol not saying you have to cheer for them but it sounds idiotic when your rooting against them. end rant/lol

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
this. im part mexican(because my dad is from there) and live in a predominantly mexican neighborhood(east side chicago) and thats why i dont even root for mexico. pi**es me off that mexicns that live here "hate" the US team(trust me , plenty do) but its like ok , you live here. and why? because its a beetter/easier life than mexico lol not saying you have to cheer for them but it sounds idiotic when your rooting against them. end rant/lol

Only thing worse than that is "Italia" guy. The guy who goes to the Nike store and buys an Italia shirt or jacket and wears it just for this month. He shows up every 2 years for the Euros and World Cup and says he roots for Italy because his grandfather was born there. Born and raised in the US and probably never has even set foot in Italy.

there's my rant

Edited by zenryan

I didnt mind the penalty awarded to Spain. I also wouldnt have minded if the ref swallowed his whistle on that play either. I did find it odd that Lalas was saying it was a penalty and Ballack was saying it wasnt a penalty on the ESPN set. Figured it would've been the other way around.

And I cant stand Lalas. He just acts so smug. I dont know if he feels threaten because he's surrounded by former world class players and champions or what but it gets annoying.

Wahhhh wahhhh wahhhh

Nevermind. this is the first time in my life I've come into a major tournament with no expectations of England. Some promising signs from the likes of Sterling and Sturridge at least. Need more Ross Barkley too.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 06:04 PM)
Wahhhh wahhhh wahhhh

Nevermind. this is the first time in my life I've come into a major tournament with no expectations of England. Some promising signs from the likes of Sterling and Sturridge at least. Need more Ross Barkley too.

Sturridge really has a couple of nice shots on goal that were on target and deflected.

Rooney had one of the worst corner kicks I've ever seen in my entire life...and maybe 3 shots on goal that weren't even in the same area code. He had a 50/50 shot at a pretty wide open goal and pulled it way to the left somehow.

I remember living in Thailand and always following guys like John Terry, Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Peter Crouch, Lampard and Michael Owen in the EPL. Times have changed. At least Rooney's hair didn't fall off.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
Only thing worse than that is "Italia" guy. The guy who goes to the Nike store and buys an Italia shirt or jacket and wears it just for this month. He shows up every 2 years for the Euros and World Cup and says he roots for Italy because his grandfather was born there. Born and raised in the US and probably never has even set foot in Italy.

there's my rant

I have an Italia shirt and root for them all the time. Don't care what you say. I don't root for them as my first team, but when the US goes out it's nice to root for a good team. People can root for whichever team they like. If those same people also don't care about the US team, then you can have a rant.

It's actually a good day for England because all they probably need is 4 points to go through. Beat Costa Rica, have Italy do the same as expected and draw Uruguay. That's enough as long as Italy at least draws Uruguay.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
I have an Italia shirt and root for them all the time. Don't care what you say. I don't root for them as my first team, but when the US goes out it's nice to root for a good team. People can root for whichever team they like. If those same people also don't care about the US team, then you can have a rant.

Same here, always try to cheer for the African teams because of all the disadvantages they face.

Costa Rica's a nice story. Not sure who to root for with Ivory Coast and Japan. Maybe Drogba, haha.

In all seriousness, as much as they love watching and betting on soccer in Asia, there haven't been many reasons to get excited since they held the World Cup. China's national team in a complete joke, adrift in corruption charges and bereft of quality youth league coaching, as well as a strategic youth development strategic plan in general. With land being relatively scarce in bigger cities, very few talented youngsters even have a decent soccer field to play on unless they go to private schools.

Edited by caulfield12