Shooting at Seattle college campus

Big Hurtin

My main gripe about church groups as savior of at-risk communities is that religious groups can be among the most divisive groups. Jew? Muslim? Uninterested? Jehovah's Witness? You're not in our club. Do [one of those things that's really frowned upon by group in question but has no effect on other people]? Your entire in-group turns against you.

The sorts of relationships I'd want to foster, if I wanted social groups to propel neighborhoods to prosperity, are relationships based on the shared community.

That's not to say church groups can't offer other benefits to its members and people outside of their group, but it's too prickly for me to get my hopes up as a recipe for urban renewal. Reaching people based on spiritual beliefs will be highly appealing to some and disenfranchising to others. Everybody has a dog in the fight if you're associating based on the premise of not living in a dangerous s***hole.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg, are you of the "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" Old Testament belief, or the "let he who is without sin cast the first stone...judge not lest ye judged, etc." school of thought?

Because it's hard for me to believe Jesus would be saying "burn in hell!" or something along those lines, right?

Or things have gotten so bad that Jesus would have to go back to the Old Testament ways of destroying temples and kicking butt??

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)
Greg, are you of the "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" Old Testament belief, or the "let he who is without sin cast the first stone...judge not lest ye judged, etc." school of thought?

Because it's hard for me to believe Jesus would be saying "burn in hell!" or something along those lines, right?

Or things have gotten so bad that Jesus would have to go back to the Old Testament ways of destroying temples and kicking butt??

I'm getting so fed up with all these murders — selfish bastards ending the lives of others when they could just kill themselves. The Catholic religion of which I'm a member believes these guys go to hell. I have no proof there is heaven or hell or afterlife at all, but I do believe these murderers don't have the right to be on earth anymore. So I believe the guy who let his son bake in Houston should be put to death if indeed he's convicted of that crime. And I believe he is doomed to hell if there is a hell.

The Catholics do not believe in the death penalty, but I think these murderers have to have their own lives ended. The crimes are too horrific to simply let them live 40-50 years in jail. It'd be nice if they could be in solitary every hour but one per day.

The guy who killed my friend and three other women is in El Dorado jail. He's tried to escape repeatedly; he's been convicted of having drugs in jail. I was reading he's quite the popular prisoner, kind of a kingpin. I don't really understand how this can happen in prison. They need to treat scumbags like this guy like the pieces of s*** they are, but instead they get drugs in prison, they try to escape repeatedly, yet they are fat and happy lounging in prison instead of doing hard time. This bastard should have fried long ago.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:46 PM)
FWIW the pope has advocated that all death sentences be commuted to life in prison.

Yeah, we are against the death penalty, but i have the right to disagree with some of the tenets of my Catholic faith. I think only about 20 percent of all Catholics go to Mass so there's no doubt people are disagreeing with some parts of their religion all over the place.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 11:26 PM)
Greg, how can you explain why there's statistically very very few murders/homicides here in China?

Well yea, if you aren't counting government executions...

cherry picker

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
The guy who killed my friend and three other women is in El Dorado jail. He's tried to escape repeatedly; he's been convicted of having drugs in jail. I was reading he's quite the popular prisoner, kind of a kingpin. I don't really understand how this can happen in prison. They need to treat scumbags like this guy like the pieces of s*** they are, but instead they get drugs in prison, they try to escape repeatedly, yet they are fat and happy lounging in prison instead of doing hard time. This bastard should have fried long ago.

I’ve never been there but from what I’ve heard about it, I’ll take my worst day as a free man over the best day as an inmate.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 09:54 PM)
I’ve never been there but from what I’ve heard about it, I’ll take my worst day as a free man over the best day as an inmate.

Good to hear. When I watch those "jail" shows on TV, sometimes it doesn't seem too bad in there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 11:02 PM)
Good to hear. When I watch those "jail" shows on TV, sometimes it doesn't seem too bad in there.

I'll go out on a limb and say they edit those.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
You'd have to have a very specific personality type to even begin to convince yourself that you're enjoying yourself in prison

But if you can get drugs in prison and be a kingpin and be a thug, how bad can it be for some of the guys used to a life of crime? You get a good 3 meals a day and a place to live w/out rent the rest of your life. Hopefully the prisoners will make life difficult on the creep if he did indeed purposely let his baby die in the hot car.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)
But if you can get drugs in prison and be a kingpin and be a thug, how bad can it be for some of the guys used to a life of crime? You get a good 3 meals a day and a place to live w/out rent the rest of your life.

Would you trade all your freedom for free rent (in the world's worst apartment) and 3 crappy meals a day?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
But if you can get drugs in prison and be a kingpin and be a thug, how bad can it be for some of the guys used to a life of crime? You get a good 3 meals a day and a place to live w/out rent the rest of your life. Hopefully the prisoners will make life difficult on the creep if he did indeed purposely let his baby die in the hot car.

Hahaha

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 11:02 PM)

When they interview the actual prisoners in shows like Lockup, they don’t exactly paint a rosy picture of being there. They make due with what they have to get by but I’ve never heard a single one say they actually like it there or want to be there.

There’s a reason the criminals typically do everything they can to not get caught so they don’t have to go there.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
When they interview the actual prisoners in shows like Lockup, they don’t exactly paint a rosy picture of being there. They make due with what they have to get by but I’ve never heard a single one say they actually like it there or want to be there.

There’s a reason the criminals typically do everything they can to not get caught so they don’t have to go there.

About the only time we really hear of someone wanting to be in jail is when they are having to deal with our health care system.

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
Another shooting at a school today, a high school in Washington. Some dead.

Get mad. Get a gun. Go kill as many people as you can before you get killed or shoot yourself. Happening way too often, folks.

OK greg, it's time for you to relax and come off that ledge.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
Another shooting at a school today, a high school in Washington. Some dead.

Get mad. Get a gun. Go kill as many people as you can before you get killed or shoot yourself. Happening way too often, folks.

In Israel they use cars (when bombs and guns aren't handy) to achieve multiple injuries and/or kills. BAN CARS!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/nine-hurt-car-rams-p...-162937758.html