Shooting at Seattle college campus

Big Hurtin

It's probably more sensationalized by cable "news", but I think it's the type of violence that is the most disturbing. People going into public places, in broad daylight (particularly schools) and shooting people. People may care in the grand scheme of things, but individually people don't seem to be bothered by gang-bangers killing other gang-bangers.

Edited by Big Hurtin

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably more sensationalized by cable "news", but I think it's the type of violence that is the most disturbing. People going into public places, in broad daylight (particularly schools) and shooting people. People may care in the grand scheme of things, but individually people don't seem to be bothered by gang-bangers killing other gang-bangers.

With the latter type of violence, there is almost no risk to the average American. You don't go into neighborhoods where gang violence occurs, so while the concept of gang violence might be disturbing, it doesn't affect you personally. With the former type of violence, we care more because we go to schools, malls, and movie theaters where this kind of stuff happens, even though it's still a small percentage of gun deaths in the nation.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
With the latter type of violence, there is almost no risk to the average American. You don't go into neighborhoods where gang violence occurs, so while the concept of gang violence might be disturbing, it doesn't affect you personally. With the former type of violence, we care more because we go to schools, malls, and movie theaters where this kind of stuff happens, even though it's still a small percentage of gun deaths in the nation.

Every day there are people killed by gunfire in Chicago, overwhelmingly its in areas that nobody ventures into so it almost has zero effect on anyone.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
I think this is correct. Typically the law looks at "deadly weapons" contextually. Take a screwdriver. It has a perfectly legitimate intended purpose most of the time. But you could still kill someone with it, and in those instances it would be a "deadly weapon."

I was also being allegorical in reference to guns as well.

These situations are s***ty and the answer is not as simple as "more guns!" or "less guns!" or "no guns!" (because the last one is simply impossible since there are already guns in the US). If I had the answer, I'd probably be in Congress or the White House.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
I was also being allegorical in reference to guns as well.

These situations are s***ty and the answer is not as simple as "more guns!" or "less guns!" or "no guns!" (because the last one is simply impossible since there are already guns in the US). If I had the answer, I'd probably be in Congress or the White House.

None of them have the answer either, yet they're in congress and the white house. ;)

No one has the answer. Even the most adamant gun control advocate has to concede that banning/limiting guns will at best only limit the damage that can be inflicted by any single individual. There is no set of rules that can stop bad things from happening. There is no way to predict who will do a bad thing.

So ultimately there must be some acceptance that bad things are going to happen no matter what we try and do. In my heart of hearts I believe that if we banned guns, there would be less deaths from violence. I could be right, I could be wrong, but its just all talking points because most people dont really want to accept the random nature of existence.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
We need precogs. Let's get some government grants issued and start on that right away!

precogs only see possibilities! They arent 100 percent truth!

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
Actually, sorry to correct you, but this is a daily occurrence that occurs multiple times per day.

And once again, the country is STILL less violent today than it was 5, 10, 20, and 25 years ago, so whether you like it or not, progress has been made. :P

You've now shown, MULTIPLE times in these threads that you subscribe to the, "If a tree falls in a forest and I didn't see it, hear it or read about it, it didn't fall" mentality.

Your position on the country being less violent and more safe isn't shared by Our President judging from his quotes yesterday. Hopefully you and yours will be safe the rest of your lives. I'm sure you are confident you won't be shot randomly (there was some kook on I-70 near KC blasting random people away not so long ago) or injured by some madman. Good luck to you. I on the other hand am terrified some moron will kill me in a movie theatre in our UNSAFE world.

Edited by greg775

• 4 weeks later...

Concealed carry probably saved some lives in Chicago:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/b...0,5324984.story

A Gresham man fired on a group of people leaving a party, only to be shot himself by one of the victims, a military service member with a concealed carry permit, authorities said.

The military member and three others were leaving a party Friday night in the 11700 block of South Union Avenue in West Pullman, Assistant State’s Attorney Mary Hain said during a court hearing Sunday.

One of the victims had noticed a cup of liquor on top of her vehicle and asked attendees of a party next door who it belonged to, Hain said.

When she removed it, Denzel A. Mickiel approached her, shouting obscenities and threatening her and her friends, according to Hain and court records.

Mickiel, 22, went into the residence, returned with a gun and began firing at the group, she said.

As Mickiel fired at the victims’ vehicle, the military member retrieved his gun and took cover near the vehicle’s front fender, according to Hain. Two unidentified people also shot at the group, she said.

The military service member fired two shots and struck Mickiel twice, she said.

A 22-year-old woman in the group was injured by Mickiel in the shooting, suffering wounds to the arm and back, according to court records and Hain.

The four victims escaped the melee in two vehicles as two unidentified people continued to shoot at them, Hain said.

Mickiel was identified as the gunman by witnesses, she said.

The injured woman was stabilized and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center, police said.

Mickiel, of the 7600 block of South Honore Street, was transported to Advocate Christ in critical condition, according to police.

He remained hospitalized Sunday and did not appear in court but was ordered held on $950,000 bail. He is charged with attempted murder.

Also Greg/others, 60 people shot in the city over the weekend. 7 killed. Where's Nancy Grace and the faux outrage?

edit: Let's update that. 14 killed, 82 shot.

http://gawker.com/horror-in-chicago-as-82-...h-of-1601170588

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Concealed carry probably saved some lives in Chicago:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/b...0,5324984.story

Also Greg/others, 60 people shot in the city over the weekend. 7 killed. Where's Nancy Grace and the faux outrage?

edit: Let's update that. 14 killed, 82 shot.

Chicago is a fricking mess with the shootings/murders. People should be demanding action. This is bulls***. Is this city most dangerous in the civilized world now?

This is getting ridiculous. A woman can't even walk on her porch in the once great city of Chicago without having to LEAVE THIS WORLD after getting killed.

The American dream is going going, close to being GONE.

WTF is going on, Chicago??? Get your act together. All these killings in one weekend? What the f***????

You guys will jump me for this, but this is all about society. We can have violent movie after violent movie that shows murder, torture, and everything is cool. Hey ,there's nothing wrong with art, freedom of expression. Boom, let's watch some good ol fashioned killing. The more the merrier in the movies.

But somebody talks about God or religion and the world jumps down their throats. How dare you talk about God. He doesn't exist. He's the same as the invisible boogeyman. There is no God. Quit shoving him down our throats! How dare you talk about gun control and keeping guns off the streets!! We need those guns!!!

Everything is out of whack and God help us all.

I mean that poor woman is living her life and at 66 is on her porch and boom, she's dead. Why? No reason. Somebody had a gun and was shooting it.

Nobody cares, so why should I? Sickening.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 08:44 PM)
Religious people aren't violent.

My point is everything that is inherently bad is embraced in our modern world.

Everything that is good is mocked. The results? Chicago is not a safe place any more.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)
My point is everything that is inherently bad is embraced in our modern world.

Everything that is good is mocked. The results? Chicago is not a safe place any more.

Chicago's murder rate is still less than 1/2 of what it was in the early 90's. 20 years ago there were >900 murders per year in Chicago. Now there are around 450-500.

This has been pointed out to you before.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
This is getting ridiculous. A woman can't even walk on her porch in the once great city of Chicago without having to LEAVE THIS WORLD after getting killed.

The American dream is going going, close to being GONE.

WTF is going on, Chicago??? Get your act together. All these killings in one weekend? What the f***????

You guys will jump me for this, but this is all about society. We can have violent movie after violent movie that shows murder, torture, and everything is cool. Hey ,there's nothing wrong with art, freedom of expression. Boom, let's watch some good ol fashioned killing. The more the merrier in the movies.

But somebody talks about God or religion and the world jumps down their throats. How dare you talk about God. He doesn't exist. He's the same as the invisible boogeyman. There is no God. Quit shoving him down our throats! How dare you talk about gun control and keeping guns off the streets!! We need those guns!!!

Everything is out of whack and God help us all.

I mean that poor woman is living her life and at 66 is on her porch and boom, she's dead. Why? No reason. Somebody had a gun and was shooting it.

Nobody cares, so why should I? Sickening.

So the reason that poor African-American neighborhoods have seen an influx of violence is because the kids sit around and watch violent movies all day and because there are zero churches or religious figures in those neighborhoods. Gotcha.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
Chicago's murder rate is still less than 1/2 of what it was in the early 90's. 20 years ago there were >900 murders per year in Chicago. Now there are around 450-500.

This has been pointed out to you before.

You are not horrified by last weekend? You are not horrified by a woman being killed sitting on her porch? I prefer not to talk about numbers and stats after a weekend like that. I am purely horrified.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 07:50 PM)
So the reason that poor African-American neighborhoods have seen an influx of violence is because the kids sit around and watch violent movies all day and because there are zero churches or religious figures in those neighborhoods. Gotcha.

I'm saying our entire culture is now negative and violent. Anything positive is mocked. Nothing is as cut and dried as you just state. But I expect a response like that after a post about religion. I get it!! Religious people are a joke. Religious people are mocked. I get it. I'm used to it. Don't need to remind me.

I want SOLUTIONS to all this violence. Anybody who is not appalled by last weekend in Chicago baffles me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
You are not horrified by last weekend? You are not horrified by a woman being killed sitting on her porch? I prefer not to talk about numbers and stats after a weekend like that. I am purely horrified.

I'm saying our entire culture is now negative and violent. Anything positive is mocked. Nothing is as cut and dried as you just state. But I expect a response like that after a post about religion. I get it!! Religious people are a joke. Religious people are mocked. I get it. I'm used to it. Don't need to remind me.

I want SOLUTIONS to all this violence. Anybody who is not appalled by last weekend in Chicago baffles me.

You complain about anything positive being "mocked" and then scoff at a 50% decrease in the murder rate. Most would consider that positive.

You complain about our culture "now" being violent and negative and ignore the fact that the violence situation was vastly worse 20 years ago. A basic bit of thought would suggest that either your idea is wrong or that somehow we've become vastly less violent as a people in the last 20 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
You complain about anything positive being "mocked" and then scoff at a 50% decrease in the murder rate. Most would consider that positive.

You complain about our culture "now" being violent and negative and ignore the fact that the violence situation was vastly worse 20 years ago. A basic bit of thought would suggest that either your idea is wrong or that somehow we've become vastly less violent as a people in the last 20 years.

You've got the stats. You are armed with them. Let me ask you a simple question: Does Chicago have a serious, severe problem with violence in neighborhoods right now?