Old Youtube Games

flavum

Today (September 12th) is the 40th anniversary of Bill Veeck's 1976 publicity stunt when Minnie Minoso came out of retirement, and got a hit against the California Angels at the age of 50.

Here is the highlight which I believe aired at the time on Channel 44 WSNS. I'm not sure who is in the booth with Harry Carey:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B2-7SxZ1HG8

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ Sep 12, 2016 -> 10:45 PM)
Today (September 12th) is the 40th anniversary of Bill Veeck's 1976 publicity stunt when Minnie Minoso came out of retirement, and got a hit against the California Angels at the age of 50.

Here is the highlight which I believe aired at the time on Channel 44 WSNS. I'm not sure who is in the booth with Harry Carey:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B2-7SxZ1HG8

I can't tell either but it sounds a lot like George Grande the long time (now) announcer for the Cincinnati Reds on TV who was one of the first anchors for ESPN's SportsCenter in 1979.

Mark

• 4 months later...

I really hope some more of the 00-05 games fill in on Youtube. I've been trying to find some video of the 2002 (?) or 2003 game where we were facing Blue Jays and Crede hit a 3 run home run to tie and I want to say also a walk off grand slam?

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 11, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
8/22/80

Harry Caray interview with 35-year-old manager, Tony LaRussa.

Britt Burns 8.2 shutout innings, Farmer with a one out save.

Danny Ainge playing for the Blue Jays.

1990 brawl with the Rangers posted by Greg Hibbard's kid.

8/22/80. *Sigh* Goes to show you how quickly things can change.

On this day, Bill Veeck announced that he would be selling the Sox to the ridiculously wealthy Edward DeBartolo. Harry Caray, in this video, is practically beside himself in his exuberance about the prospect. His excitement is like that of a kid on Christmas morning as he talks about how the White Sox fan experience would change, with the team going from the poorhouse to the penthouse in terms of far greater resources available that would significantly enhance the team’s ability to compete.

That was August of 1980. In five short months, Harry would, indeed, wake up to a new owner, a new boss, but it would not be DeBartolo and his very deep pockets. A rather different reality awaited him in January 1981. Then, just ten months later, he would end his 11 year career as Voice of the White Sox due to deep concerns about the group who bought the club instead of DeBartolo. Chief among those concerns was what seemed to him some risky and crazy concept called “SportsVision” that was being peddled to him. He would turn out to be very clairvoyant with those concerns.

The rest, of course, is history. Caray would simply move up to the north side where he’d spend the rest of his career, 17 years, being the primary force in transforming the Cubs into a national phenomenon.

*Sigh*

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Nov 14, 2017 -> 11:10 PM)
8/22/80. *Sigh* Goes to show you how quickly things can change.

On this day, Bill Veeck announced that he would be selling the Sox to the ridiculously wealthy Edward DeBartolo. Harry Caray, in this video, is practically beside himself in his exuberance about the prospect. His excitement is like that of a kid on Christmas morning as he talks about how the White Sox fan experience would change, with the team going from the poorhouse to the penthouse in terms of far greater resources available that would significantly enhance the team’s ability to compete.

That was August of 1980. In five short months, Harry would, indeed, wake up to a new owner, a new boss, but it would not be DeBartolo and his very deep pockets. A rather different reality awaited him in January 1981. Then, just ten months later, he would end his 11 year career as Voice of the White Sox due to deep concerns about the group who bought the club instead of DeBartolo. Chief among those concerns was what seemed to him some risky and crazy concept called “SportsVision” that was being peddled to him. He would turn out to be very clairvoyant with those concerns.

The rest, of course, is history. Caray would simply move up to the north side where he’d spend the rest of his career, 17 years, being the primary force in transforming the Cubs into a national phenomenon.

*Sigh*

LMAO. Go check out how well DeBartolo's Pittsburgh Penquins did while he owned them. They did win one championship, then he sold. They were Bill Wirtz Blackhawks for most of his 14 years.

But I'm sure if he had bought the White Sox, everything would have been peaches and cream.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
LMAO. Go check out how well DeBartolo's Pittsburgh Penquins did while he owned them. They did win one championship, then he sold. They were Bill Wirtz Blackhawks for most of his 14 years.

But I'm sure if he had bought the White Sox, everything would have been peaches and cream.

So in the interest of attaining “peaches and cream”, you are happy that the current ownership group prevailed over the DeBartolo-led group in obtaining our White Sox after the 1980 season?

😳

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)

I wish DeBartolo would have bought the White Sox. His ownership could not have been as bad as JRs ownership. Amongst other things DeBartolo was going to build a new stadium for the White Sox with his own money. It probably would have been next to a new shopping center. He made his money building shopping centers. He was also aware of how popular Harry Caray was with White Sox fans. Caray would have finished his career with the White Sox if DeBartolo had owned the team.

Does anyone know where to find the Sox broadcast from August 8, 2004? Ben Davis hit a game winner with Timo Perez scoring from first. It was Hawk's call "C'mon Timo! C'mon Timo!" that makes it so memorable for me. Any help would be great. I even contacted the white sox a bit ago to see if they have the broadcast, but they haven't responded yet.

Yes I do realize this is my first post after creeping here for the last 13+ years.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 03:36 PM)
Amongst other things DeBartolo was going to build a new stadium for the White Sox with his own money. It probably would have been next to a new shopping center. He made his money building shopping centers. He was also aware of how popular Harry Caray was with White Sox fans. Caray would have finished his career with the White Sox if DeBartolo had owned the team.

I've never heard of either of your two statements before. Not saying they aren't true but can you provide some evidence to back it up? Such as links to stories and so forth.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 10:17 PM)
I've never heard of either of your two statements before. Not saying they aren't true but can you provide some evidence to back it up? Such as links to stories and so forth.

I’m pretty familiar with the press coverage from back in the day when all of this was going down with DeBartolo, and I have no recollection whatsoever of a direct quote or suggestion coming from the DeBartolo camp one way or the other regarding Harry Caray.

What I do know is Bill Veeck was going to continue on with the Sox in the capacity of something akin to SVP of Baseball Operatons under DeBartolo, with Roland Hemond continuing on as General Manager. The significance there is Bill Veeck, if for nothing else, really understood and was committed to the ultimate fan experience. In fact, it was Veeck who came up with the idea of Harry singing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” at Comiskey Park in the first place. So almost undoubtedly, Caray would have stayed with the Sox with DeBartolo as owner if for no other reason than being advised by Veeck to do so.

Bill Veeck - understanding what Harry Caray meant to the White Sox fan experience, while the current owner saw no value in that and instead thought what White Sox fans wanted and needed was SportsVision and Ribbie & Roobarb. Pure genius.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 08:03 AM)

DeBartolo owned another sports franchise from 1977-2000 known as the San Francisco 49ers. You may have heard about a small run of success they had in the 80s and 90s. I'm sure White Sox fans wouldn't have been happy with a similar experience over that timeframe, right?