2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
WRONG. Afflalo (unless this is a 3 team deal) can not be traded again until December under the terms of the CBA.

Damn. Stupid new CBA.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Do you want to try for Melo? If so, they couldn't trade for Afflalo now. So if you were okay with going Afflalo plus some serviceable guys, then that is fine, but getting Afflalo now means no Melo. They could have gotten Afflalo, after signing Melo (if Knicks did a S&T) but the point is, we have to be in a position to offer Melo outright and adding Afflalo wouldn't allow for that (and you can't repackage Afflalo for a while so it is a misconception that the Nuggets can use him for Love, unless of course it really is a 3 way deal). It could be for Love...in December when he's eligible to be traded again.

I am just assuming we don't get Melo. You're right though. But I still firmly believe that GarPax are not good GMs. Terrific scouts. Bad GMs.

Edited by maggsmaggs

It would be cool that instead of going through the routine 'try and grab a hot FA' thingy most clubs do, we should try and emmulate what SA does. They never make 'splashy' moves but somehow the way they run their organization, they're always contending, and to think that the main cog piece in that machine was picked in the 90s...

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
It would be cool that instead of going through the routine 'try and grab a hot FA' thingy most clubs do, we should try and emmulate what SA does. They never make 'splashy' moves but somehow the way they run their organization, they're always contending, and to think that the main cog piece in that machine was picked in the 90s...

Easier to do when you drafted the 4th or 5th best player to ever play the game. They've made some amazing draft picks/trades (Parker, Manu, Leonard) sure, but Duncan has been the foundation for 15 years.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)

I would love to emulate SA as well, but you cannot do that with one superstar(Rose) who is frequently injured and Noah. That team has a much stronger core with Parker/Duncan/Ginobili and Leonard/Green right underneath them

I understand, all I'm trying to say is going for big name FA is overrated, really, only LeBron right now is the big name player that can instantly make you a contender. Anthony to me just isn't a player that'll lead you to a championship.

Great scouting and elite player development is the way to go.

The Bulls are in play for Carmelo. What else do you want? The front office has done a good job of setting themselves up for this. Carmelo will visit the Bulls. The Bulls couldn't trade for Afflalo now because they want a bigger fish than that. If Carmelo decides that he he'd rather go to the West then he's an idiot. I don't know why that would be the front office's fault? The Bulls may get stuck with an offseason of Mirotic and smaller pieces but that doesn't mean that someone should be fired. It just is what it is. If you put a different GM and Team President in place, the results would be similar. I think they are getting Carmelo though. Writing is on the wall. Has been since midseason.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
I understand, all I'm trying to say is going for big name FA is overrated, really, only LeBron right now is the big name player that can instantly make you a contender. Anthony to me just isn't a player that'll lead you to a championship.

Great scouting and elite player development is the way to go.

Hence why Noah and Thibs are f***ing morons for not wanting to tank this year. It would have been a perfect opportunity to get a good lottery piece going forward. Instead we can all brag about coming in 2nd in the division and bowing out in the 1st round.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
Hence why Noah and Thibs are f***ing morons for not wanting to tank this year. It would have been a perfect opportunity to get a good lottery piece going forward. Instead we can all brag about coming in 2nd in the division and bowing out in the 1st round.

The Bulls would have never been bad enough for a top 3 pick. Look at the Lakers and they were a 7th pick for pete sake. Also, had the Bulls been that bad, I honestly don't know that we would have been on Melo's short list to be frank. In hindsight, after the Bulls sign Melo, we will be thanking our lucky stars we did as well as we did last year, as it really showed Melo that even without Rose, with him on our roster, we would be a title contender, add Rose and we are one of the favorites, if not the favorite.

When posters talk about the Knicks S&T for Melo and how we could lose to Houston because they could offer Harden, everyone needs to remember that Melo is going to pick where he wants to go and then the Knicks can decide, will we do a S&T or not. The Knicks aren't in a position to force him to Houston so the fact that Houston would offer more in a S&T really doesn't matter as Knicks basically have options of accepting something or nothing from the team he choses.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
When posters talk about the Knicks S&T for Melo and how we could lose to Houston because they could offer Harden, everyone needs to remember that Melo is going to pick where he wants to go and then the Knicks can decide, will we do a S&T or not. The Knicks aren't in a position to force him to Houston so the fact that Houston would offer more in a S&T really doesn't matter as Knicks basically have options of accepting something or nothing from the team he choses.

That's true, except if neither team can do it without S&T, Knicks can just refuse to do business with Chicago

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
That's true, except if neither team can do it without S&T, Knicks can just refuse to do business with Chicago

Sure, they can, but do you want that reputation as a team? The answer is typically no. Even Cleveland eventually agreed to a S&T for LBJ.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)

The bulls tanking would have meant that their team is not nearly as close as we think it is (i.e. one major player), and that our assets would have been much less attractive.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
Why exactly is Melo a major upgrade over Harden?

To me that's basically creating the same team. Except somehow worse at defense without Asik.

It is because they think Melo means they get Lebron. If they didn't get Lebron and moved Harden for Melo, it is a worse move long term because long term, I'd rather have Harden then Melo. I do think Melo has the better defensive upside, dare you call it, and will play defense more often on the Bulls, given our coach and leadership (plus I just think Melo is going to be a bit more mature). He also is going to get a lot of opportunities on offense so he shouldn't have to worry much about that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
Zach Lowe also pointed out that he's refusing to re-sign with anyone, so he's basically an expiring contract, hence the deal that was made.

Right, this is why I didn't believe DBAHO that he had value. When you are basically committing to FA and have 1 year left, you aren't netting a big haul.

Meh, that seems unlikely. If Melo chooses Houston then that forces NYK hand. If I was Houston I'd try to get a 3 way send trash to NYK and get better assets (draft picks, etc) for Harden.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
Sure, they can, but do you want that reputation as a team? The answer is typically no. Even Cleveland eventually agreed to a S&T for LBJ.

Not sure it had much to do with reputation so much as at least you get SOMETHING for the guy. You know the guy is leaving regardless of what you do, so why not get at least some pennies back.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
The bulls tanking would have meant that their team is not nearly as close as we think it is (i.e. one major player), and that our assets would have been much less attractive.

I dunno that that's true. I guess you could say Gibson might not be as valuable as he is today because he had a great season, but I think he still had a lot of value. If anything Butler has dropped in value. Management tried to tank. They got rid of the best player after Rose. They signed guys off the scrap heap. I dunno that you get in the top 3 (although there's always the chance), but anywhere in the top 10 would have been great.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
Not sure it had much to do with reputation so much as at least you get SOMETHING for the guy. You know the guy is leaving regardless of what you do, so why not get at least some pennies back.

I don't think any organization wants to have a wrap of not helping another team, when they make a realistic offer, out of pure principle. For example, say the Heat made a fair offer to Cleveland for a S&T and that was what everyone wanted and they still said no..no...no, then it is something that is a strike for other players. It would be like this people talking about the Heat tricking Wade to opt-out (saying they'll give him 4yrs 60 million) and once he does, they go another path and don't bring him back.

Good luck signing people when you have a history of that. The Bulls are still scarred from some of the stuff Krause does. It really matter, these guys are a fraternity and you better take care of your players or when they want to make a change (especially when it is in FA), ultimately end up respecting their wishes.