2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
I just dont agree with that in the NBA. UDFA's that succeed in the NBA are a big exception to the rule.

There are plenty of UDFA's that turn into stars and lots turn into role players.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
Bring them into camp, stash them on a D league team, whatever. But don't expect a thing from them because odds are near 100% you never hear from them again.

Meh, with how much Nazr played last year I think you can grab a guy like Young and he'd give you just as much. A 3rd PG like a Kane or a Bryce Cotton, god willing, wouldn't see the court but can learn under Thibs for awhile wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either.

Kane looked like a really good player, and I think his injury really hurt his draft stock.....Where's the ISU fan to give his thoughts??

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 07:18 AM)
I think the years of pent up anxiety and disappointment in the Bulls conservative roster management (including a collection of assets that win games, but are never as attractive as other teams assets that lose games) are creating a bizarre love affair for me with Doug McDermott. I don't claim to be a scout. I only watch mizzou college bball and then hate the rest of the sport.

But the fact that everyone was terrified the bulls would trade up to get this kid and then we did just that, makes me think that this has to work, right? I mean this is the most aggressive move I've ever seen the Bulls make. We have to hit 100%. We deserve it. And then next year Mcdermott is going to post up Anthony and do some weird ooopsy woopsy layup that goes in and I will go crazy. And then he'll get posterized by Lebron and we'll be talking about the 2018 plan to sign Jabari.

McDermott isn't pretty but the dude flat out scores. He has a mini-dirk like presence from the perspective he can score in a mirry of ways and find lots of ways to get shots off (in very awkward positions) and shoot them with a high percentage (and from long range). I'm not saying Doug is Dirk. He is clearly smaller but he has a lot of similar skills as a Dirk from a scoring perspective (back when Dirk was much much younger). In no way am I saying that is who he turns into, but he has some of those skill-sets to potentially be a very good scorer in this league. No idea if he will be able to play good enough D though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
There are plenty of UDFA's that turn into stars and lots turn into role players.

Who is a star now? Jeremy Lin? Come on now, There are a few roleplayers but on the whole these guys are NBDL fodder

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
Who is a star now? Jeremy Lin? Come on now, There are a few roleplayers but on the whole these guys are NBDL fodder

All I got is Ben Wallace/Lin.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
McDermott isn't pretty but the dude flat out scores. He has a mini-dirk like presence from the perspective he can score in a mirry of ways and find lots of ways to get shots off (in very awkward positions) and shoot them with a high percentage (and from long range). I'm not saying Doug is Dirk. He is clearly smaller but he has a lot of similar skills as a Dirk from a scoring perspective (back when Dirk was much much younger). In no way am I saying that is who he turns into, but he has some of those skill-sets to potentially be a very good scorer in this league. No idea if he will be able to play good enough D though.

And he is EXACTLY what the Bulls need, outside of a second superstar scorer.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
How can you not like this guy and think Thibs could turn him into a solid backup center....Between him and Young I think there's a solid backup center out there.

I remember bringing his name up during the college season and I really liked him ever since...

Why wasnt he drafted?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
Why wasnt he drafted?

Couldn't tell ya....Draft was just crazy deep. Like the announcers were saying there was 1st round talent in the 2nd round so you gotta figure there's some good talent going undrafted.

Dude had 344 career blocks in 122 games....

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
Couldn't tell ya....Draft was just crazy deep. Like the announcers were saying there was 1st round talent in the 2nd round so you gotta figure there's some good talent going undrafted.

Dude had 344 career blocks in 122 games....

But at the same time, decent to good athletic centers tend to get scooped up quickly in the NBA, no?

Remember when you and RZZZA (that guy) were arguing with me that the Bulls need to bring in the euroleague MVP and he can dunk and stuff? Where is that guy now?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
How can you not like this guy and think Thibs could turn him into a solid backup center....Between him and Young I think there's a solid backup center out there.

I remember bringing his name up during the college season and I really liked him ever since...

Look at the contracts of NBA centers, and tell me why if this guy had the goods, he wouldn't have been a first round pick.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
Brad Miller was undrafted and had a pretty damn solid career.

Like i said, there are few exceptions but on the whole they are NBDL fodder. There just isnt a lot of value in UDFA in the NBA. Hell, there is very little value in the second rounders right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
The fact that we are talking about players from a generation ago kind of makes the point for me.

The NBA Developmental League hasn't really done its job.

Hardly anyone comes out of there except as a 10 day contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
The fact that we are talking about players from a generation ago kind of makes the point for me.

More recently Chris Anderson, Udonis Haslem and Raja Bell were all undrafted and have had productive careers.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
But at the same time, decent to good athletic centers tend to get scooped up quickly in the NBA, no?

Remember when you and RZZZA (that guy) were arguing with me that the Bulls need to bring in the euroleague MVP and he can dunk and stuff? Where is that guy now?

I get your argument as a whole but, said euroleague MVP, Patrick Beverly, just finished playing 30+ min per game for a playoff team so that was pretty weak to bring up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)
Look at the contracts of NBA centers, and tell me why if this guy had the goods, he wouldn't have been a first round pick.

Again I couldn't tell you why he was undrafted other than the fact that this was pretty deep draft....Like Rock keeps saying, the draft is all about opinion, and IMO a guy like Bachynski or Young could play at the NBA level....Same for Deandre Kane who I really think hurt his stock with the injury.

I'm not saying these guys will ever be starters, I'm calling for 1 to take over the Nazr "I'm just a big guy playin D" role and another to be the 3rd PG.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)

Bowen, Haslem, Calderon, you just have to dig for contributors. I still think there are some out there every year.

Or are you saying that basketball sucked so bad back then that it was easy to be a star???? ;)