6/28 at Blue Jays

flavum

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

L Garcia can play 2b, SS, 3b and outfield. He has speed. He's the kind of guy you want as your roster's last man (more useful than several we've had), although it would really help if he could hit at least some.

we should have gotten more for Rios, but we really wanted Rios off the team.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
High leverage situations = runners on base.

The debate is using your best reliever to pitch a 9th with no one on; versus to pitch with 1 out in the 7th with 2 runners on.

I thought hitting a HR in the 1st inning does less for a hitter's Leverage Index than hitting one in the 9th inning?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
I thought hitting a HR in the 1st inning does less for a hitter's Leverage Index than hitting one in the 9th inning?

I'm no expert, but I always thought that to the SABRE guys, " a run is a run" no matter when it comes.

I think you do need your best reliever, and certainly the one able to get the K, when you have runners on in late innings. You don't need your best for a clean 9th.

That said, I also believe (and the SABRE guys disagree) that there is more pressure in the 9th and that some pitchers simply spit the bit in the 9th

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 03:37 PM)
Cubs are dumb even asking for that kid. If you want a talent like that for Samardizja you'll need to find one in A ball somewhere.

Well then the Cubs are silly. Samardizja is having a great year, is a good pitcher, a 2 or a 3 depending on the year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 09:08 PM)
Wow, nice! Putnam showed some stones. Ventura with a ton of good decisions.

Yes maybe. But, once again the pen makes the 9th inning a real wild ride. Did his best to join Bellysario

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
I'm no expert, but I always thought that to the SABRE guys, " a run is a run" no matter when it comes.

I think you do need your best reliever, and certainly the one able to get the K, when you have runners on in late innings. You don't need your best for a clean 9th.

That said, I also believe (and the SABRE guys disagree) that there is more pressure in the 9th and that some pitchers simply spit the bit in the 9th

Run sequencing is crucial for maximizing productivity and thus maximizing wins. When you hear guys say "a run is a run," they're referring to the fact that stats that are the product of run sequencing isn't predictable, so if you're trying to rate a guy based on how many runs he's likely to produce, you want to treat it like "a run is a run" because we can't expect previous sequencing to repeat itself.

That's one of the reasons SABR guys don't like RBI.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 09:50 PM)
L Garcia can play 2b, SS, 3b and outfield. He has speed. He's the kind of guy you want as your roster's last man (more useful than several we've had), although it would really help if he could hit at least some.

we should have gotten more for Rios, but we really wanted Rios off the team.

He's 13 for 64 with four walks. Eight stolen bases is good. I guess if you want a designated runner, keep him. I know the sample size is small, but geez, don't your eyes tell you L. Garcia is not a big leaguer?

Our lineup needs to include Abreu, Garcia, Eaton, Gillaspie. I hope we sign Victor to DH. Then Micah at 2B, Semien SS. (If they progress). I'd be ok with keeping Alexei one more year but if his value is peaked and we can get a good deal make it. Find a catcher, LF.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 02:46 AM)
Our lineup needs to include Abreu, Garcia, Eaton, Gillaspie. I hope we sign Victor to DH. Then Micah at 2B, Semien SS. (If they progress). I'd be ok with keeping Alexei one more year but if his value is peaked and we can get a good deal make it. Find a catcher, LF.

It seems like there's a good chance the Tigers will be willing to offer Martinez a qualifying offer, so at the least signing Martinez would send our 2nd round pick next year to Detroit if that happens. Possibly our first round pick if we stumble into a few wins.

I think we should make plans to look at people other than VMart.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
It seems like there's a good chance the Tigers will be willing to offer Martinez a qualifying offer, so at the least signing Martinez would send our 2nd round pick next year to Detroit if that happens. Possibly our first round pick if we stumble into a few wins.

I think we should make plans to look at people other than VMart.

I understand and tend to agree but, he's a very very good hitter. Would be great behind Abreu.