2nd half predictions thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
He has never played a 162 game season. Or anything close to it. Just like stretching out pitchers, you may have to give up some production and play him when he's tired or when you will really need him late in the season, he will not be prepared.

There are plenty of guys who have shown they can play close to every game. I think Prince Fielder hadn't missed a game in several years before this year's neck injury. Just when you start doing it at 27 years old, you are starting a little behind the pack. He'll probably DH a little more in the next couple of months.

Or maybe, just maybe, he could get a day off every month? I know, insanity. Darn shame we don't have any other 1b on the roster.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
Which is easy to say safely seated at your computer.

Yes, Im sure there are plenty of people who never played sports and arm chair GM safely from their computer. I would not be one of those people. Im well aware of how demanding baseball is, and its not very much.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
Have you played baseball during the summer?

Yes, have you ever played baseball and football at the same time during the summer in Texas? Probably not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
Or maybe, just maybe, he could get a day off every month? I know, insanity. Darn shame we don't have any other 1b on the roster.

So 1 game a month makes all the difference? I think they will see where he's at when that bridge is approached. If he and the team will benefit by him sitting out entirely, I'm sure he will sit.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
Yes, Im sure there are plenty of people who never played sports and arm chair GM safely from their computer. I would not be one of those people. Im well aware of how demanding baseball is, and its not very much.

Yes, have you ever played baseball and football at the same time during the summer in Texas? Probably not.

162 game season? 140 game season?

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)

You have now idea what you're talking about. I played college baseball, granted at a very low level, and with 4 games a week plus practicing every day you sure as s*** get fatigued. Your hammy gets tight, your shoulder is pinched, that huge strawberry on your thigh keep getting banged up every time you slide, your fingers are all bruised...

Trust me, at the end of the season your body is tired and ready for a break.

I'm not saying it's like the NBA or NFL, but after 5+ months of 162 games, playing every day, that's fatiguing. Look at Adam Eaton's quotes, this is a guy in the pinnacle of fitness, a highly tuned athlete, granted a shorter one, and he said he's "legs felt like s***" at the end of April. Playing every day is fatiguing.

And also, your body doesn't recovery as fast at 27-32 as when you're 16-25. That's just reality. My body, after workouts and activity (I'm 31) takes almost twice as long to recover as when I was 25 or 18.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
You have now idea what you're talking about. I played college baseball, granted at a very low level, and with 4 games a week plus practicing every day you sure as s*** get fatigued. Your hammy gets tight, your shoulder is pinched, that huge strawberry on your thigh keep getting banged up every time you slide, your fingers are all bruised...

Trust me, at the end of the season your body is tired and ready for a break.

I'm not saying it's like the NBA or NFL, but after 5+ months of 162 games, playing every day, that's fatiguing. Look at Adam Eaton's quotes, this is a guy in the pinnacle of fitness, a highly tuned athlete, granted a shorter one, and he said he's "legs felt like s***" at the end of April. Playing every day is fatiguing.

And also, your body doesn't recovery as fast at 27-32 as when you're 16-25. That's just reality. My body, after workouts and activity (I'm 31) takes almost twice as long to recover as when I was 25 or 18.

Well, once again, thats my personal opinion. You are free to disagree, my stance wont change.