Ferguson Riots

Brian

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 07:33 PM)
It is actually a part of journalistic ethics to respect on-the-record/off-the-record agreements

It really depends. I actually am sick of people printing stuff that is false and then still protecting their sources. We invaded Iraq because of people doing that. And if a person agrees to an interview and says "this is off the record" without the interviewer agreeing, that isn't an agreement. Both of those are annoyingly common games, and one of them helped cost a few hundred thousand lives.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 01:13 AM)
It really depends. I actually am sick of people printing stuff that is false and then still protecting their sources. We invaded Iraq because of people doing that. And if a person agrees to an interview and says "this is off the record" without the interviewer agreeing, that isn't an agreement. Both of those are annoyingly common games, and one of them helped cost a few hundred thousand lives.

That would have happened regardless of Judy Miller.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the riots are going to be shockingly violent. A lot of people feel like they have nothing going on in their lives and I wouldn't want to be driving in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe just Ferguson; I think it's 50/50 it could go nationwide, probably depending on the weather believe it or not.

If it's this fricking cold, they'll have to do their violence awfully quick.

I am serious though. This is going to be very very bad.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
Well at least we have confidence that the grand jury proceedings were fair and that no one has gotten an inside view about how it's going.

I assume this is meant to be sarcastic, but for the most part it has been kept pretty quiet, which is what you would want, no?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
I assume this is meant to be sarcastic, but for the most part it has been kept pretty quiet, which is what you would want, no?

There have been pro-Wilson leaks and 'sources' pretty much from day one. The surveillance store video being released while the PD was still otherwise "no comment," the 'sources' that reported Wilson had a broken orbital bone, the reported 'sources' that 'confirmed' Wilson's account mentioned in numerous articles with little or no actual details, the leaks from inside the GJ itself.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
There have been pro-Wilson leaks and 'sources' pretty much from day one. The surveillance store video being released while the PD was still otherwise "no comment," the 'sources' that reported Wilson had a broken orbital bone, the reported 'sources' that 'confirmed' Wilson's account mentioned in numerous articles with little or no actual details, the leaks from inside the GJ itself.

1) Those were from the investigation, not the grand jury proceedings.

2) Grand jury proceedings are private, and i'm pretty sure a judge would drop the hammer if there was a leak somewhere. There's only a select number of people that could be the source. I think we'd know by now if there was one.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)

2) Grand jury proceedings are private, and i'm pretty sure a judge would drop the hammer if there was a leak somewhere. There's only a select number of people that could be the source. I think we'd know by now if there was one.

It seems to me more like a common sense thing than anything else. What would it look like if they didn't prepare, and then another worst case scenario happened?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
It seems to me more like a common sense thing than anything else. What would it look like if they didn't prepare, and then another worst case scenario happened?

I agree.

edit: and it's not like they don't already have protests in anticipation of the finding. They had 60 people saturday or sunday at the courthouse in sub-freezing temps.

edit 2: and it still boggles my mind that people are using this situation as the springboard for "revolution." You had a thug that by all accounts attacked a cop. That's about the least sympathetic victim there could be, even if the cop made a terrible mistake. The dude in NYC who died from the choke-hold should have been the guy to rally around for police brutality/overreaction.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)

There have been numerous articles over the past month or so citing friends/family members of people on the GJ who have leaked information.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/att...e9a2_story.html

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)

I'm not sure why threats of more state violence would be the right answer to a situation that was continually made worse by state violence.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
I'm not sure why threats of more state violence would be the right answer to a situation that was continually made worse by state violence.

You want them to respond to riots by laying down their arms and singing songs? The only response is to stop them.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
You want them to respond to riots by laying down their arms and singing songs? The only response is to stop them.

you can go back to about page 5 or so of this thread to find plenty of examples of serious police overreaction and escalation.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
you can go back to about page 5 or so of this thread to find plenty of examples of serious police overreaction and escalation.

so how do you want them to respond? What would YOU have them do?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)

I'm sure everyone would be OK with letting people burn down a town and terrorize people too.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
Wasn't it the county police that overreacted? And the state nation guard is the unit being called up?

It was city and then county. Things got better for a little while when the NG came in but I think they deteriorated again afterwards.