Avisail Garcia reportedly to join Sox next Tues (8/19)

caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
Options are used one per year. Danks was optioned once already this year, therefore he can be sent to Charlotte and called back up to Chicago 57 times in between and another option is not burned.

I believe there are some restrictions. If you send a guy down, I do not believe you are allowed to immediately call him back up unless there is an injury that occurs. I think Danks can technically only be called up another 5 or 6 times this year.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
How many options does Danks have left? He's like the yo yo of this team.

It all depends on when he was put on the 40 man roster. It is considered an option year if a player on the 40 man roster is in the minor leagues for a minimum 20 days. If I were guessing, I would say Danks was put on the 40 man in 2012 so this year would be the last of his option years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
I believe there are some restrictions. If you send a guy down, I do not believe you are allowed to immediately call him back up unless there is an injury that occurs. I think Danks can technically only be called up another 5 or 6 times this year.

A player can't be recalled for 10 days after being sent down unless, like you said, there is an injury.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)

Doesn't have have to wait at least 10 days before he can be recalled again when he's sent down?

Maybe I'm imagining things.

From the existing roster situation, clearly Danks would get sent down first.

I have to assume Hahn plans to move at least 1 of Dunn/De Aza/Beckham/Viciedo by the end of the month. If that doesn't happen for some strange reason, maybe Eaton stays on the DL until September, or else someone comes down with a phantom injury for a week.

Garcia is a huge piece to help determine whether this team can ever get back on its feet (over .500). If he's a great hitter, he'll be a nice 1-2 punch with Abreu. If he is another Viciedo, that's not good. Here's hoping he's a star.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
Garcia is a huge piece to help determine whether this team can ever get back on its feet (over .500). If he's a great hitter, he'll be a nice 1-2 punch with Abreu. If he is another Viciedo, that's not good. Here's hoping he's a star.

Did Garcia start throwing out of the bullpen???

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
I believe it is 21, no?

OOOOOHHH!!

But srsly, they HAVE to reinstate him, its not like they are soooo impressed with his OF defense at AAA that they are calling him up. After 15/21 days, the team has to reinstate him, option him or return him to the DL, no? Yes?

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
OOOOOHHH!!

But srsly, they HAVE to reinstate him, its not like they are soooo impressed with his OF defense at AAA that they are calling him up. After 15/21 days, the team has to reinstate him, option him or return him to the DL, no? Yes?

Yes.

OOOOOHHH!!

Avi has options left, so he can just be optioned to AAA without ever rejoining the Sox, though he would still have to be placed back on the 40 at that point.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
Avi has options left, so he can just be optioned to AAA without ever rejoining the Sox, though he would still have to be placed back on the 40 at that point.

That would be really dumb to waste an option on him when there are other players to send down.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
That would be really dumb to waste an option on him when there are other players to send down.

Players have option years so it really doesn't matter iirc. That said, your larger point stands -- there is no reason not to give him all of September in MLB. When Eaton is healthy, which hopefully is next tuesday, send Danks back down.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Until September 1, there needs to be some way to make a roster spot for him. DeAza and Viciedo can't be sent down. Leury can but he's pretty much the only backup IF.

The logical decision would be to DFA Dunn to open up room for Garcia to DH and just focus on hitting for the final month and week of the season. Let De Aza and Viciedo play for the final month to see if they can get hot and build some trade value/a reason to hang on to them for next year.

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 01:24 AM)
The logical decision would be to DFA Dunn to open up room for Garcia to DH and just focus on hitting for the final month and week of the season. Let De Aza and Viciedo play for the final month to see if they can get hot and build some trade value/a reason to hang on to them for next year.

I like this