8/24 Games

flavum

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 07:29 AM)
Another perspective not yet voiced is this:

The Sox and Hanh believe they are in position to contend for 2015 and believe Rodon can be a huge piece in moving towards contention. With a cup of coffee this year, he can wet his beak and be all the more preped for better contributions next season.

When you think about it - this process is actually a distinct possibility.

Sign a number 2 type RHSP, tighten up the outfield, grab a new DH, and put together a nice pen... You've got yourself a playoff team ladies and gentlemen. One that could even go all the way should the baseball Gods decide it to be so.

The thought of Sale, Shields, Qunitana, Rodon, and Noesi/Johnson/Danks makes me very very happy.

An outfield of Garcia / Eaton / X would be groovy, health permitting.

Abreu ( believe it or not ) STILL can improve. I believe we can count on a boost from second base WAR with Beckham out next year. Alexi seems to be returning to his 08/10 levels. Gillaspie is highly underrated and could become an affordable fixture. Flowers may indeed have a spot on a playoff team and I'm not counting out an upgrade at catcher during the winter.

With Dunn gone finally we sure can expect to see an improvement there as well.

Hell, even Paulie going off to his 16,000 square foot oasis in the desert improves our bench.

Give me a bullpen and 2015 looks rosie enough for us take a MAJOR stride forward....

So, BRING IT!

as I been saying forever. I myself like lester, sign the new Cuban > dh him with some time in rf.

pick up 2 pen pitchers via fa, and here is a question mark, do you want to go with a season as eaton

playing without a backup. in case of an injury?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 02:29 AM)
Another perspective not yet voiced is this:

The Sox and Hanh believe they are in position to contend for 2015 and believe Rodon can be a huge piece in moving towards contention. With a cup of coffee this year, he can wet his beak and be all the more preped for better contributions next season.

When you think about it - this process is actually a distinct possibility.

Sign a number 2 type RHSP, tighten up the outfield, grab a new DH, and put together a nice pen... You've got yourself a playoff team ladies and gentlemen. One that could even go all the way should the baseball Gods decide it to be so.

The thought of Sale, Shields, Qunitana, Rodon, and Noesi/Johnson/Danks makes me very very happy.

An outfield of Garcia / Eaton / X would be groovy, health permitting.

Abreu ( believe it or not ) STILL can improve. I believe we can count on a boost from second base WAR with Beckham out next year. Alexi seems to be returning to his 08/10 levels. Gillaspie is highly underrated and could become an affordable fixture. Flowers may indeed have a spot on a playoff team and I'm not counting out an upgrade at catcher during the winter.

With Dunn gone finally we sure can expect to see an improvement there as well.

Hell, even Paulie going off to his 16,000 square foot oasis in the desert improves our bench.

Give me a bullpen and 2015 looks rosie enough for us take a MAJOR stride forward....

So, BRING IT!

f*** yeah to all of this. IMO, the Sox are not rushing Rodon at all, I think he really is that damn good and ready.

Another benefit of bringing him up in September is to see how he responds. If Rodon responds well you can bet Hahn will be shopping Danks pretty hard this winter while assembling a much better team to put on the field in 2015.

f*** the wussie don't start the clock s***. If he's ready, then pitch him!

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
f*** yeah to all of this. IMO, the Sox are not rushing Rodon at all, I think he really is that damn good and ready.

Another benefit of bringing him up in September is to see how he responds. If Rodon responds well you can bet Hahn will be shopping Danks pretty hard this winter while assembling a much better team to put on the field in 2015.

f*** the wussie don't start the clock s***. If he's ready, then pitch him!

Rodon shouldn't impact how the Sox deal with Danks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 08:19 AM)
Rodon shouldn't impact how the Sox deal with Danks.

Oh but I think he very much does. The Sox have made known in the past they would prefer to not have 4 lefties in the rotation and Danks would clearly be the odd man out if Rodon is indeed ready. Then the Sox clear even more payroll space by trading Danks to possibly sign a right handed FA pitcher or trade for one that may have a higher salary, or both for that matter. Basically it would make an already flexible payroll even more flexible and allow Hahn to be even more creative with trades this winter.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
Oh but I think he very much does. The Sox have made known in the past they would prefer to not have 4 lefties in the rotation and Danks would clearly be the odd man out if Rodon is indeed ready. Then the Sox clear even more payroll space by trading Danks to possibly sign a right handed FA pitcher or trade for one that may have a higher salary, or both for that matter. Basically it would make an already flexible payroll even more flexible and allow Hahn to be even more creative with taxes this winter.

If the Sox have an opportunity to move Danks's salary I believe they should do so regardless of whether or not Rodon is ready.

I think the logic here is pretty straightforwards. John Danks currently is a #4-#5 starter who is being paid like a #3 starter. If the White Sox could move his salary out of the way, that would free up the money that could be used to replace him with a #3 starter who is performing like a #3 starter or, perhaps with a little more of a financial sweetener, replace him with a #2 starter.

This would be an effective upgrade to the roster regardless of whether or not Rodon is ready. Thus, if Danks's contract could be moved off the roster, I'm now convinced it should be done regardless of any other circumstances.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 08:39 AM)
If the Sox have an opportunity to move Danks's salary I believe they should do so regardless of whether or not Rodon is ready.

I think the logic here is pretty straightforwards. John Danks currently is a #4-#5 starter who is being paid like a #3 starter. If the White Sox could move his salary out of the way, that would free up the money that could be used to replace him with a #3 starter who is performing like a #3 starter or, perhaps with a little more of a financial sweetener, replace him with a #2 starter.

This would be an effective upgrade to the roster regardless of whether or not Rodon is ready. Thus, if Danks's contract could be moved off the roster, I'm now convinced it should be done regardless of any other circumstances.

OK. Let's say Rodon isn't ready. Trading Danks means that not only does his spot in the rotation need to be replaced but Carroll's as well. And that's if were OK with Noesi. So we would be looking to sign/trade for at least two maybe even three rotation starters.

Now let's say Rodon is ready. He immediately replaces Danks and now were looking at replacing only one or possibly two starters. Rodon would negate money being spent for an addition starter therefore that money could be used to get a left handed bat into the lineup. It just gives Hahn more flexibility if Hahn can immediately replace Danks 14M salary with Rodon's league minimum of roughly 600k. That savings right there is worth two good bullpen arms so not only is the rotation upgraded but the pen as well.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
OK. Let's say Rodon isn't ready. Trading Danks means that not only does his spot in the rotation need to be replaced but Carroll's as well. And that's if were OK with Noesi. So we would be looking to sign/trade for at least two maybe even three rotation starters.

Now let's say Rodon is ready. He immediately replaces Danks and now were looking at replacing only one or possibly two starters. Rodon would negate money being spent for an addition starter therefore that money could be used to get a left handed bat into the lineup. It just gives Hahn more flexibility if Hahn can immediately replace Danks 14M salary with Rodon's league minimum of roughly 600k. That savings right there is worth two good bullpen arms so not only is the rotation upgraded but the pen as well.

I am completely ok with replacing John Danks's spot in the rotation if the White Sox have $14 million in addition to spend. That would be a major way to upgrade the roster.

I also am completely ok with Noesi being put at the back of the rotation. He's been an above average 5th starter already and there's clear potential for improvement as he continues to learn how to deal with big league hitters.

I have a real problem with trying to upgrade Noesi's spot on the free agent market. Noesi might give 1 (or even 1+) WAR next year for the league minimum. In other words, he could well be expected to be worth $5 million+. To upgrade that spot on the free agent market, we'd have to spend $15 million ish if we were trying to find a 3 WAR pitcher, in addition to likely losing a draft pick. In other words, we'd be spending an extra $15 million and losing a draft pick to get only 2 WAR worth of production beyond where we currently sit. That math might work for a team that misses the playoffs by 1 game this year and needs to find somewhere to upgrade, but that's a poor allocation of resources for a team in the boat the White Sox are in.

If Rodon is going to take a rotation spot this Sept. and next spring, then it should be the one currently inhabited by Caroll et al. We have an open rotation slot as it is, Danks's status does not impact that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
I am completely ok with replacing John Danks's spot in the rotation if the White Sox have $14 million in addition to spend. That would be a major way to upgrade the roster.

I also am completely ok with Noesi being put at the back of the rotation. He's been an above average 5th starter already and there's clear potential for improvement as he continues to learn how to deal with big league hitters.

I have a real problem with trying to upgrade Noesi's spot. Noesi might give 1 (or even 1+) WAR next year for the league minimum. In other words, he could well be expected to be worth $5 million+. To upgrade that spot on the free agent market, we'd have to spend $15 million ish if we were trying to find a 3 WAR pitcher. In other words, we'd be spending an extra $15 million to get only 2 WAR worth of production. That math might work for a team that misses the playoffs by 1 game this year and needs to find somewhere to upgrade, but that's a poor allocation of resources for a team in the boat the White Sox are in.

If Rodon is going to take a rotation spot this Sept. and next spring, then it should be the one currently inhabited by Caroll et al. We have an open rotation slot as it is, Danks's status does not impact that

I think you and I are coming for the same conclusion, just looking at going about it in different ways or from different perspectives.

I agree about Noesi. I'm actually OK with him in the rotation and he has improved and at times been very effective. There's a part of me thanks kind of excited to see if he can continue to improve next year. I love the movement on his FB and his CU can be pretty damn effective at times.

Also agree with upgrading Carroll's rotation spot. Carroll still has a place on this team and its in the pen which is an area in dyer need of help so replacing his spot and sticking him in the pen is a double upgrade in one shot really.

I also agree that no matter what, Danks should be traded. Let's say a right handed starter will cost 25M. Now its only an additional 11M added to the payroll IF the Sox were to trade Danks without sending money in the deal all the while majory upgrading the rotation.

Edit: Appologies for this being f***ered up. I'm on a giggle tablet and sometimes things get messed up on this stupid thing. Not sure what happened.:)

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
You knocked off the last quote tag, fixed it for you.

Thank you sir. The curser jumps around on me sometimes. I need a new device.lol

Anyway. I'm just glad that we have Rodon. Last season sucked and this season isn't much better so at least there's something to show for it.