8/24 Games

flavum

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 05:52 PM)
I'm so glad we sucked so much **** last year... And hope we tank again more and more this year. High positions in the draft are so underrated. Mix in some good trades, free agent signings, and a couple years of high drafting... We're back to it like never before and quick.

Good job Hanh and company. We're heading in the right direction.

Let's not forget to thank the Astros and Marlins too. :)

I'm with ya tho. I can't cheer for the Sox to lose but I can still smile after a loss. ;)

Just watched video of Michael Matuella on BA and read their scouting report. That's a big dude with a nice developing repertoire. Sox would have to tank pretty hard in order to get a high enough pick to have a shot but I'm on board.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 06:09 PM)
Let's not forget to thank the Astros and Marlins too. :)

I'm with ya tho. I can't cheer for the Sox to lose but I can still smile after a loss. ;)

Just watched video of Michael Matuella on BA and read their scouting report. That's a big dude with a nice developing repertoire. Sox would have to tank pretty hard in order to get a high enough pick to have a shot but I'm on board.

We don't have to tank really lol not with this lineup, pen and 4&5 starters.

With another strong draft next year, this farm will be pretty solid. We don't really have to spend on big time free agents. Maybe shields on a 3 year deal at max but even then he's 33 already. I think well develop the pitching and sign a couple more bats or sign a bat and trade for one. Should be an interesting next four months.

@KnightsBaseball: Boom! 2-R HR by Jared Mitchell! #CLTKnights with a 5-4 lead!

@scottmerkin: @KnightsBaseball I think I hear Chicago calling in September ~

@SethLakso: In MLB rehab news: Adam Eaton picked up a RBI single in the 5th, stole second, and then scored on Jared Mitchell’s 19th HR of the season.

Edited by Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 06:49 PM)
If he's still eligible for prospect lists, I see no reason why Rodon won't be in the top ten going into next year. To me, he's the best pitching prospect in the minors.

Probably right. Quite a coincidence that the two best prospects from the draft this year are on Chicago teams. Rodon and Schwarber (sp?) for Cubs.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 02:27 AM)
Probably right. Quite a coincidence that the two best prospects from the draft this year are on Chicago team. Rodon and Schwarber (sp?) for Cubs.

Schwarber was expected to dominate the pitching in A ball. He won't be in the top 50 for prospects going into next year. With that said, he's having an incredible start to his pro career.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 01:27 AM)
Probably right. Quite a coincidence that the two best prospects from the draft this year are on Chicago team. Rodon and Schwarber (sp?) for Cubs.

question, why not adams of the sox, second rounder.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 07:37 PM)
Schwarber was expected to dominate the pitching in A ball. He won't be in the top 50 for prospects going into next year. With that said, he's having an incredible start to his pro career.

Just hit a home run in 5 straight games in High A. Got my attention.

Who would have imagine Jared Mitchell would of had a better season then Davidson?

Also, I am excited for Rodon. I rotation of Sale-Rodon-Quintana to start off with is something to willing work off of. If we can find solid 4-5 starters our rotation will be great

Edited by BigHurt3515

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 01:49 AM)
I still don't know why the Sox are hell-bent on rushing him this year.

He had a long college season.

Take it easy; save the service time.

As it is, in the small sample size, he's walking too many - something to work on.

my guess is several reasons, 1 terms of his signing, 2 his agent 3 to start he clock running.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 09:37 PM)
my guess is several reasons, 1 terms of his signing, 2 his agent 3 to start he clock running.

A little unclear, but if you're saying that we agreed to get the clock running early as part of the signing - the thought had occurred to me, but really, we paid him way over slot, nearly got hit with the penalty; that's dubious negotiating if we agreed to kick in the clock early.

There are 6 players who are having good years at Triple A and deserves to the September call ups: Rodon, Mitchell, Semien, Wilkins, Taylor and Phegley. Of the 6, Rodon, Wilkins and Taylor are not on the 40 man roster. I'd think Davidson gets the call as well given our investment in him. It'd be interesting to see who actually gets called up in a week.

P.S. I would like to give credit to the FO for sticking with Mitchell and not letting him go when all hope was lost. It seems like he's at least capable of having a role on a big league team.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 03:14 AM)
A little unclear, but if you're saying that we agreed to get the clock running early as part of the

signing - the thought had occurred to me, but really, we paid him way over slot, nearly got hit

with the penalty; that's dubious negotiating if we agreed to kick in the clock early.

hey I am with you, but the sox had to pay the devil (his agent) in order to get Rodon to sign

on the dotted line. that is one of his demands, get the clock started. he think the draft is unfair.

some one who is more knowledgeable can answer more.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 04:14 AM)
There are 6 players who are having good years at Triple A and deserves to the September call ups: Rodon, Mitchell, Semien, Wilkins, Taylor and Phegley. Of the 6, Rodon, Wilkins and Taylor are not on the 40 man roster. I'd think Davidson gets the call as well given our investment in him. It'd be interesting to see who actually gets called up in a week.

P.S. I would like to give credit to the FO for sticking with Mitchell and not letting him go when all hope was lost. It seems like he's at least capable of having a role on a big league team.

I am a sox fan, so I want the best for all sox prospects. with that let me say, I hope he does indeed turned it

around. I hope he does not flame out when he gets the call.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 06:49 PM)
I still don't know why the Sox are hell-bent on rushing him this year.

Another perspective not yet voiced is this:

The Sox and Hanh believe they are in position to contend for 2015 and believe Rodon can be a huge piece in moving towards contention. With a cup of coffee this year, he can wet his beak and be all the more preped for better contributions next season.

When you think about it - this process is actually a distinct possibility.

Sign a number 2 type RHSP, tighten up the outfield, grab a new DH, and put together a nice pen... You've got yourself a playoff team ladies and gentlemen. One that could even go all the way should the baseball Gods decide it to be so.

The thought of Sale, Shields, Qunitana, Rodon, and Noesi/Johnson/Danks makes me very very happy.

An outfield of Garcia / Eaton / X would be groovy, health permitting.

Abreu ( believe it or not ) STILL can improve. I believe we can count on a boost from second base WAR with Beckham out next year. Alexi seems to be returning to his 08/10 levels. Gillaspie is highly underrated and could become an affordable fixture. Flowers may indeed have a spot on a playoff team and I'm not counting out an upgrade at catcher during the winter.

With Dunn gone finally we sure can expect to see an improvement there as well.

Hell, even Paulie going off to his 16,000 square foot oasis in the desert improves our bench.

Give me a bullpen and 2015 looks rosie enough for us take a MAJOR stride forward....

So, BRING IT!

Edited by hi8is