2014-2015 MLB off season player movement and rumors thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
And they also got rid of Bauer because of his long-toss rituals. The Dbacks are such a screwed up organization to play for, it seems.

This I can understand. Its one thing to try to keep someone s musculoskeletal system healthy, there aren't that many variations to the anatomy. An injury can cost a great deal of money.

However, not eveyone needs the same diet. Gluten free isn't needed for everyone. Different people have different sensitivities and needs nutritionally.

I happen to agree with the long toss regimen and think it's the best way to keep the arm healthy but I can see where a different philosophy could cause difficulties.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 06:33 PM)
I see that the Padres just sent Trae Turner packing in the Will Myers trade.

Good news: that means we can trade Rodon for the proven veteran of your choice.

I hope that doesn't happen because I couldn't bear to read you whine about it any more than you already do

wished the Rays would've given Myers one last chance. Hard for a franchise like TB to have control over a young kid who should be a 30-40HR type every year when healthy.

Guess the rumors of him having a bad attitude was true. Third organization at the age of 24, hope this is the wake up call that he needs.

That trade for Dayton Moore has turned from the final nail in the coffin to the cornerstone of his career resurgence.

I still don't think it's bad for the Padres at all. If both Myers and Kemp (two big ifs) can both get it going together, that would be a nice middle of the order punch.

Unless players like Nick Gordon and Turner can hit .270+ with at least a little pop, they're not going be huge losses to their organizations. We've seen a lot of prospects drafted at SS not make it...ending up at other positions. Turner has speed and glove working for him now but the offense has been inconsistent at best.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
Gigantic prospects trade between Nationals, Rays, and Padres.

Padres get: OF Wil Myers (Rays), C Ryan Hannigan (Rays), P Jose Castillo (Rays)

Rays get: OF Steven Souza (Nats), C Rene Rivera (Padres), P Burch Smith (Padres), 1B Jake Bauers (Padres)

Nats get: SS Trea Turner (Padres), P Joe Ross (Padres).

Trea Turner will be a PTBNL, since he was drafted in June of 2014, he is eligible to join the Nats organization June 13th, 2015, which is weird to me that he will get developed and instructed by a different team. Makes you wonder how that has to be for both Trea and his coaches.

In my opinion, the Nats and Rays are the winners here. Nats traded Souza for Trea Turner and Joe Ross. Padres I think did the worst here.

This trade is so much fun because who the hell knows.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
The fact that the Sox have a good chance to have Chris Sale #2 be damned.

Really. Wow, I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. Hsve you seen his walk rate? That could be a real problem for success in the mlb.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
Gigantic prospects trade between Nationals, Rays, and Padres.

Padres get: OF Wil Myers (Rays), C Ryan Hannigan (Rays), P Jose Castillo (Rays)

Rays get: OF Steven Souza (Nats), C Rene Rivera (Padres), P Burch Smith (Padres), 1B Jake Bauers (Padres)

Nats get: SS Trea Turner (Padres), P Joe Ross (Padres).

Trea Turner will be a PTBNL, since he was drafted in June of 2014, he is eligible to join the Nats organization June 13th, 2015, which is weird to me that he will get developed and instructed by a different team. Makes you wonder how that has to be for both Trea and his coaches.

In my opinion, the Nats and Rays are the winners here. Nats traded Souza for Trea Turner and Joe Ross. Padres I think did the worst here.

I've heard of four of those nine players. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)
Really. Wow, I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. Hsve you seen his walk rate? That could be a real problem for success in the mlb.

I actually think Rodon is more similar to David Price. Still an ace though. Carlos Rodon is a future #1 starter in the major leagues. Not sure why people are really doubting that.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
I actually think Rodon is more similar to David Price. Still an ace though. Carlos Rodon is a future #1 starter in the major leagues. Not sure why people are really doubting that.

I always doubt prospect until they show at least something in the MLB. The minors can be an indication of what they might be but it's nowhere near a guarantee and he has very little experience in the minors. Many top minors league players let alone draft picks have flamed out and have not been good MLB players let alone aces. Until I see him pitch a few times, the chances are better he fails than success. I've worked many successful minor leaguers who just couldn't cut it in the MLB.

He may currently fall into the "ace stuff" category but we'll see. I'm hopeful but to say he is a MLB ace is getting out way over the skis right now.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)

Not at all. I think he COULD be.

I'd say it's

20% chance he is an ace

40% chance he is a 2/3

30% chance he is a 4/5

10% chance he's a dud

Those are strong odds for a prospect. Thus more valuable, in my mind than a 3-4 WAR veteran who's already reached his peak and is likely to decline and would likely put us back to 2009-2012 territory of mediocrity and bad contracts.

The reward is too high not to take the shot - we'll either have the best starting staff in MLB OR it will allow us to trade one of them at their youthful peak and shore up 3-4 other positions.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)

Because many sure fire prospects have busted. Call it Tom Jones Syndrome... It's not unusual.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
Not at all. I think he COULD be.

I'd say it's

20% chance he is an ace

40% chance he is a 2/3

30% chance he is a 4/5

10% chance he's a dud

Those are strong odds for a prospect. Thus more valuable, in my mind than a 3-4 WAR veteran who's already reached his peak and is likely to decline and would likely put us back to 2009-2012 territory of mediocrity and bad contracts.

The reward is too high not to take the shot - we'll either have the best starting staff in MLB OR it will allow us to trade one of them at their youthful peak and shore up 3-4 other positions.

Very strong odds considering you made them up and haven't seen him pitch let alone pitch in the MLB.