KW "We're a lot closer than the record indicates"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
That's now how it works anymore -- the Tigers are going to get a sandwich pick, regardless. The only place the protected pick matters is with the team that loses it. Teams don't "give" their picks anymore, they just disappear.

Ya I thought about that after my post, forgot about that change

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 04:22 PM)
If I am the Sox and I had to pick between a FA with a CO attached to him or keeping a second round pick, I am keeping the draft pick.

Is there some pun attached to what a "CO" is that I'm missing or doesn't it depend on the player and the contract? I mean if you got Scherzer for less than detroit offered him last year wouldn't you quite happily part with the pick?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
Ya I thought about that after my post, forgot about that change

Thinking about it now, that was a super interesting and completely unbalanced rule, wasn't it? Haha, talk about dissuading a team to re-sign their guys. How would you like to be a dude with a high pick tied to you?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
Is there some pun attached to what a "CO" is that I'm missing or doesn't it depend on the player and the contract? I mean if you got Scherzer for less than detroit offered him last year wouldn't you quite happily part with the pick?

Yeah, teams shouldn't really factor the pick in at all when it comes to guys like Scherzer. It's about the money and time with him. If giving him 7/$180m or whatever sounds like the right move to your team, then you need the pitcher much more than the pick.

Also, if you have a protected pick at all, then Scherzer at 7/$180m almost definitely does NOT sound like the right move for your team :)

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
If I am the Sox and I had to pick between a FA with a CO attached to him or keeping a second round pick, I am keeping the draft pick.

Well of course that's what you prefer, but sometimes that's not the choice. In theory, it's a superior player tied to draft pick compensation versus an inferior player with no strings attached and sometimes they are similarily priced with regards to AAV.

If they are going to sign guys who have received qualifying offers, this is the time to do it, but I would advocate them signing multiple guys who receive those offers.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
As I've mentioned previously, signing one QO free agent decreases the opportunity cost required to sign the next one.

Say Melky Cabrera, Victor Martinez, and David Robertson all receive QOs. Signing just one of them requires you give up a 2nd round pick, which is a lot to give up. But if you sign all 3, you can logically say the Sox are only giving up a 3rd round pick for Cabrera/Martinez and a 4th round pick for Robertson. Suddenly, the cost/benefit is technically worth doing so, and the Sox potentially have a team that can win the division next year.

This makes a ton of sense. Even though signing all three would likely chew up the majority of what the Sox have to spend, I would do it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
I'm generally not going to be as angry at the concept of signing a FA who has a qualifying offer this year as I was last year...but I'm generally unimpressed by the guys available, including M. Cabrera. Decent season last year but when you count both the suspension and what he did in 2013, paying a whole lot of money for him does not seem like a very smart risk to me.

I agree that the FA class this year is over all unimpressive but since the Sox have a protected first round pick, this would be the year you try to fill some holes. Especially since the Sox have said they think they can contend in 2015 and have the money to spare.

If the Sox were to pull off something like Wite's idea, they have the DH, the LF and closer spots filled up for at least the short term while increasing their chances of contending now and the future. Plus they get two left handed bats for the lineup.

Another thing is what if the Sox wait too long? IOW, they wait to make a splash in FA til 2016. If they continue to improve next season they likely will not have a protected pick in 2016. Then what?

At some point, the Sox will have to spend money and I would rather see it spent now, with a protected first rounder, than later.