Go Get Joe Maddon

winninguglyin83

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 05:11 PM)
I generally agree. You can look at the records of Pinella, Dusty and Jim Frey on the other side of town.

But folks around baseball respect Maddon. His 'genius' seems to be in running the clubhouse and getting his guys to play hard and fundamentally sound. Guys who did not buy in -- Upton, Young -- were sent on their way. He was a consistent winner in the toughest division in baseball.

He's got tremendous leverage for once in his life -- and he's going get somebody (Cubs, Mets) to pay him a lot of money.

And garza as well...took a bit longer.

If Dave Martinez doesn't get this job you know something's up.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
Why is it when Maddon lost 101 and 96 games his first 2 years, that is considered solid, but when Robin had a couple of years like that, he is a dope?

THIS

I personally think that Maddon sits for a year and then joins Freidman in Los Angeles.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
Managers just don't matter that much. I'm not too worried about it.

In that case, bring back Bevington. :D

Seriously, Maddon did extremely well with a small payroll team in the toughest division in baseball. Is he the best manager ever? No. But is he great at getting his guys focused and playing hard? Yes.

If he comes here and say David Price decides to follow him, is Maddon worth it then?

Bob

Would be nice to have a team who is aggressive on the base paths. Hell Micah would probably steal 100+ under Maddon if he's the starter. With that said I think he'll be a Cub if anything. Supposedly there's rumors about him saying he can help bring them a title by 2017. (although I doubt it's true)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 11:42 PM)
Would be nice to have a team who is aggressive on the base paths. Hell Micah would probably steal 100+ under Maddon if he's the starter. With that said I think he'll be a Cub if anything. Supposedly there's rumors about him saying he can help bring them a title by 2017. (although I doubt it's true)

I don't know how you come up with these assumptions. Personnel matters. Maddon attempted 90 steals total in 2014, now if he was managing, Johnson would have over 100 steals himself?

In a way, I kind of feel sorry for Maddon. He will never be able to live up to his hype unless he goes to a team already able to dominate.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
I don't know how you come up with these assumptions. Personnel matters. Maddon attempted 90 steals total in 2014, now if he was managing, Johnson would have over 100 steals himself?

Ah yes. The typical DA cherry picking. We're going to ignore the years which he had Crawford, Upton, Fuld, Jennings, Longoria (the latter pre injuries) Zobrist, Damon etc. When they were swiping bases left and right? He had the personal and the health of his players over the years and was well regarded as an aggressive manager. I was exaggerating the number for Micah obviously but I could still see him in the Podsednik range if he actually hits/gets on base.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
Ah yes. The typical DA cherry picking. We're going to ignore the years which he had Crawford, Upton, Fuld, Jennings, Longoria (the latter pre injuries) Zobrist, Damon etc. When they were swiping bases left and right? He had the personal and the health of his players over the years and was well regarded as an aggressive manager. I was exaggerating the number for Micah obviously but I could still see him in the Podsednik range if he actually hits/gets on base.

To add numbers, the Rays led MLB in stolen bases in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2nd in 2011, and 6th in 2012. The 194 bases they stole in 2009 is the 2nd highest team total since 2000 (when ESPN's data stops).

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)

You are saying a rookie will steal 100+ bases in one season if a certain guy is managing, and I am the one cherry picking? You think Maddon is the onky manager whi swipes bases with a fast team? What about Ned Yost? The White Sox run the guys who can run. What is so unique about Joe Maddon that would make a rookie steal 100 bases in a season for him and not anyone else? Carl Crawford ran just as much under Lou Piniella. As I stated personnel matters.

Edited by Dick Allen

While I think Ventura should have been fired due to his performance, the Sox should not fire him so that they can spend $20 mill on Joe Maddon or any other manager.

Sounds like he's getting a little full of himself anyway. I think he's a good manager; but it's not like he didn't have talent. It's Friedman and Co. that brought the talent in on a peanuts budget.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
You are saying a rookie will steal 100+ bases in one season if a certain guy is managing, and I am the one cherry picking? You think Maddon is the onky manager whi swipes bases with a fast team? What about Ned Yost? The White Sox run the guys who can run. What is so unique about Joe Maddon that would make a rookie steal 100 bases in a season for him and not anyone else? Carl Crawford ran just as much under Lou Piniella. As I stated personnel matters.

Ah yes. The other typical DA still ignoring what he wants to read. I already said I was exaggerating on the stolen base number and said IF Micah actually hits/gets on base/even starts as the 2B. My point was he is known as an aggressive manager. Balta already proved my point listing the Rays ranking in stolen base numbers under his tenure. I also mentioned personnel and health of his players (hell Damon was still stealing 20+ at nearly age 40) But hey, keep fighting the good fight for nothing my man. Not quite the same without Pratt though. :)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
Ah yes. The other typical DA still ignoring what he wants to read. I already said I was exaggerating on the stolen base number and said IF Micah actually hits/gets on base/even starts as the 2B. My point was he is known as an aggressive manager. Balta already proved my point listing the Rays ranking in stolen base numbers under his tenure. I also mentioned personnel and health of his players (hell Damon was still stealing 20+ at nearly age 40) But hey, keep fighting the good fight for nothing my man. Not quite the same without Pratt though. :)

Again, that has everything to do with personnel, when he had personnel who ran, they ran. The White Sox ran more often this year. Ned Yost led teams led the league the last couple of years. It is not the manager. It is the players. The years the Rays stole a lot of bases, if they had the White Sox roster, they would not. Kiss his ass all you want, if he goes to a team with a bad roster, he is going to lose just like he did his first 2 years and just like he didithis year.

Edited by Dick Allen

for lack of anything else, I read this whole thread. I haven't bothered before

now. the one interesting thing that popped into my mind was the blackhawks

coaching situation.

the hawks were doing everything to groom Denny to be the head coach but when

Q became available, the hawks went a 180 degrees and hired him. history was

then made.

doesn't it seem the situation is ripe for a repeat with the sox and Robin?